F-Class & Elk River Sportsmans Club

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: F-Class & Elk River Sportsmans Club

Postby Erud on Wed May 04, 2016 6:54 am

xd ED wrote:That match schedule is a good resource; went through it yesterday.
Lots of matches over the course of the season within a hour of the metro area.

I expect to make the Sunday match in Red Wing.

A big tip of the hat to the guys at ERSC for the introductory events. :cheers:

Yep, if a person wants to shoot a match, they can definitely find one. I've got 42 days of matches on my schedule this year between April 9 and October 10, and most of them are in MN or WI. If you are coming down to Red Wing, I will see you there. My wife is going to be shooting her first "official" F-TR match that Sunday, so there will be at least one other new shooter!
Erud

Postby striped1 on Wed May 04, 2016 7:48 am

The inability to use a brake or suppressor is what keeps me away. The brake can be a slight nuisance, but a suppressor, that I don't get at all.
striped1

Postby Erud on Wed May 04, 2016 7:57 am

The reasoning is fairly simple. Suppressors do quite a bit to mitigate recoil along with suppressing noise. Someone shooting with a suppressor will have an advantage (however slight) over someone shooting the exact same setup without one. Since they are not legal in all 50 states, the policy keeps the playing field level in that regard. Making them legal for f-class competition would cause all kinds of problems with regard to national records, etc. Even if they were allowed, you would not find many people clamping an extra piece of metal on the end of their barrel when accuracy is the ultimate goal.
Erud

Postby BigDog58 on Wed May 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Erud, is there any way for someone that is unable to shoot from a "prone" position (due to disability) to shoot in any of these type matches?

I thought I had read that there was some type of consideration for disabled shooters, but I cannot seem to locate it again. I would love to try shooting in some of these local matches, but shooting from prone is not a possibility for me.

Thanks
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Erud on Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 pm

Big Dog,
Generally speaking, match directors will do whatever they can to accommodate anyone. From a practical standpoint, it may be a challenge as these ranges do not typically have benches on the line where prone and f-class matches are being shot. If you have something of your own that you could bring and set up to shoot from, I'm sure that most would be fine with that as long as there weren't any safety concerns. I'd recommend contacting the match director before hand and letting him know what your limitations are to see if there is a way to make it work. I know if I were running the match, I'd definitely try to figure something out so you could shoot.

Good luck,
Erik
Erud

Postby striped1 on Wed May 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Erud wrote:The reasoning is fairly simple. Suppressors do quite a bit to mitigate recoil along with suppressing noise. Someone shooting with a suppressor will have an advantage (however slight) over someone shooting the exact same setup without one. Since they are not legal in all 50 states, the policy keeps the playing field level in that regard. Making them legal for f-class competition would cause all kinds of problems with regard to national records, etc. Even if they were allowed, you would not find many people clamping an extra piece of metal on the end of their barrel when accuracy is the ultimate goal.

I am not interested in records, etc. I just want to pull the trigger on my 338 lapua on long range targets without having to reconfigure it to do so.
I need something along the lines of a military division that allows brakes and suppressors.

As for suppressors and accuracy, I haven't seen a problem with quality equipment. It tends to tighten up groups and add some extra FPS which never hurts. It sure works in the PRS.
striped1

F-Class & Elk River Sportsmans Club

Postby LumberZach on Wed May 04, 2016 4:29 pm

striped1 wrote:
Erud wrote:The reasoning is fairly simple. Suppressors do quite a bit to mitigate recoil along with suppressing noise. Someone shooting with a suppressor will have an advantage (however slight) over someone shooting the exact same setup without one. Since they are not legal in all 50 states, the policy keeps the playing field level in that regard. Making them legal for f-class competition would cause all kinds of problems with regard to national records, etc. Even if they were allowed, you would not find many people clamping an extra piece of metal on the end of their barrel when accuracy is the ultimate goal.

I am not interested in records, etc. I just want to pull the trigger on my 338 lapua on long range targets without having to reconfigure it to do so.
I need something along the lines of a military division that allows brakes and suppressors.

As for suppressors and accuracy, I haven't seen a problem with quality equipment. It tends to tighten up groups and add some extra FPS which never hurts. It sure works in the PRS.

I understand the reasoning in the sport. I don't think f-class is the end all be all, but it looks like a fun sport and looks like it'll teach me a lot of what I want to learn. And if it gets me shooting more I won't complain. Still trying to put everything together for it and get some level of experience before I show up, but I'm willing to meet their expectations until I know what I'm doing. Trying to shoot anything past 200 yards seems to be a real challenge in MN just trying to find a place to do so without becoming a member at a club on the other side of the state.
LumberZach

Postby Erud on Wed May 04, 2016 4:49 pm

striped1 wrote:

PRS is a whole different game, and may be more of what you are looking for. I wouldn't expect the NRA rules on brakes and suppressors to change anytime soon, so if that keeps you away, it will likely continue to keep you away. As someone who has owned and shot some pretty nice .338's, I know I would not want to shoot 88 rounds through one in a day at a match, nor would I want to be squadded next to someone else doing it.

As for suppressors and accuracy, anytime you add something to a barrel, you change the harmonics. It might help, or it might hurt. Suppressors are not really moveable, so they will only do one or the other. I don't know if you have ever played with barrel tuners or anything like that, but just adding one to a rifle very rarely has a positive effect. It's the "tuning" part that can make them shoot better.
Erud

Postby MJY65 on Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm

LumberZach wrote:. Trying to shoot anything past 200 yards seems to be a real challenge in MN just trying to find a place to do so without becoming a member at a club on the other side of the state.

Very true. Even if you join, the access is still pretty limited.
MJY65

Postby BigDog58 on Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks Erik. I'll be looking into this once our 50 BMG Matches are over. Then, it's time to break out the "mouse guns" :lol:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:31 am

My son shot for the first time last night with my 223. He posted a 172 with a pair of X's not to bad for a first timer. I think he is hooked.
mmcnx2

Postby xd ED on Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:44 am

mmcnx2 wrote:My son shot for the first time last night with my 223. He posted a 172 with a pair of X's not to bad for a first timer. I think he is hooked.

Congrats to your son.
Monday nights at ERSC are a good time.
3rd time out, things started to come together for me last night.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:30 pm

The kid shot a 178 last night...pretty cool. Guess I'll be getting him a real gun to play this game.
mmcnx2

Previous

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs