200 yard rimfire match Saturday, 4/23 at MRC

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Postby Erud on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:31 am

It's 2 tons of fun, and very informal. It's technically a "prone" match with slings and iron sights, but you won't be turned away if you want to shoot with a scope and bipod. My wife does it, and will do it again at the match tomorrow. Be ready to pull targets. If you've never pulled targets before, don't worry. You will learn in about 5 minutes, and you'll be a pro by the end of the match. Come out and see how your rifle and ammo do at "long range". If you are lucky, you might even get the chance to meet Rip Van Winkle!

Click link below for match bulletin.

http://mrra.org/downloads/mrc/2016_200_ ... _April.pdf
Erud

Re: 200 yard rimfire match Saturday, 4/23 at MRC

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:19 am

Erud wrote:If you are lucky, you might even get the chance to meet Rip Van Winkle!

Not to rain on the parade, but I can't make it. It's my oldest son's birthday, and I have a literal mountain of work that needs doing.

This match is a barrel of fun, I wish I could make it.

Have fun without me.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby LumberZach on Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:33 am

I've always wanted to do one of these. It's a shame I can't make it. That said, what should I do to prepare for the next one? hopefully I can make that one! Will an off the shelf 10/22 with a web sling work? It doesn't take much to convince me I need to buy another gun....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:04 am

Sounds like it will be a lot of fun! The name of the club is definitely misleading, this is like a 2 hour drive for me and I am 25 mins away from Minneapolis...
gun_fan111v2

Re: 200 yard rimfire match Saturday, 4/23 at MRC

Postby Erud on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:52 am

Zach,
Pretty much any .22 rifle will make the distance with standard velocity ammo, just make sure your sights or scope have 20MOA worth of adjustment above your 50 yard zero. Accuracy will depend on a lot of factors, not the least of which being the shooter. Web sling will work fine, or just use a bipod if that's what you are used to. Or do both. Like I mentioned, it is very informal, mostly just a "fun" match. They only run 2 per year, and I think the next one isn't until October, I think.

Gunfan,
The club wasn't always in the spot it is now. I believe it was actually in Minneapolis somewhere back in the mists of time, and Minnetonka Game and Fish club was in Minnetonka. Both lost their property or were forced out for whatever reason(someone here probably has more knowledge about this than me) and MG&F bought the land in St. Francis where they are currently located. MRC operates on the same property under a 99-year lease.
Erud

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:01 am

^^^ cool bit of information. Thanks. Maybe I will work up the nerve to drive up in October
gun_fan111v2

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs