Anyone willing to allow UMN Students to shoot on their land?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: Anyone willing to allow UMN Students to shoot on their land?

Postby FlyingKat316 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:43 pm

katmandoo, they're closed to the public for the season and last time I was there they were only running one of the 3 trap houses.
FlyingKat316

Postby xd ED on Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:22 pm

FlyingKat316 wrote:katmandoo, they're closed to the public for the season and last time I was there they were only running one of the 3 trap houses.

Have you approached the board of directors at OGC?
It can't hurt to ask.
And it is probably a more convenient location than anywhere else.
PM Sent
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:31 am

xd ED wrote:
FlyingKat316 wrote:katmandoo, they're closed to the public for the season and last time I was there they were only running one of the 3 trap houses.

Have you approached the board of directors at OGC?
It can't hurt to ask.
And it is probably a more convenient location than anywhere else.
PM Sent

Plus membership is fairly reasonable. At a member trap rate of 3 per round vs the 10 they are spending the economics would make more sense to join especially for students with little disposable income. 2 days a year of service and 100. If you buy the birds by the case as a member you really are around 2.50 per round as well and can use the machine s any time you want. Could even schedule for your club.
Holland&Holland

Postby FlyingKat316 on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:59 pm

H&H, were I to get a membership I could bring my whole group with?
FlyingKat316

Postby xd ED on Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:36 pm

FlyingKat316 wrote:H&H, were I to get a membership I could bring my whole group with?

3 guests maximum per member
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:11 am

OGC has a pretty long wait list doesn't it? By the time they get in they will have graduated college and possibly moved away.
grimbeaver

Postby FlyingKat316 on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:17 am

Yea thats one reason I didn't think applying would work because I am open to spending the money on the membership and putting in the work. The issue is that the range is so close to the TC that I assumed the waiting list was about the length of the USS Enterprise
FlyingKat316

Postby xd ED on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:53 am

Re OGC - My thinking was that if there was some semblance of formality to your shooting group, you might get some special considerations.

The length of the wait list to join can vary dramatically from year to year. I waited almost 2 yrs when I finally got in, 5 yrs ago; there have been waits of less than 2-3 months since then.
I believe there is typically a fair percentage of turnover by 1st year members dropping out.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:58 am

I never took econ at the U so maybe that program is not very strong but here is the way I would look at it. You say you are a club shooting trap. I would assume you are shooting regularly. At $10 per round you reported paying after 15 rounds you have spent $150. At $100 for membership and $3 per round that works out to $145 which you could get down a bit more with a little effort. So 15 rounds which is no very many in the work of trap and you are saving money and can use the facilities all year long??? Couple that with the ability for your more regular members to do this and the more casual to come as guests, I would think the economics are such that this would make quite a bit of sense.

Waiting list- now is the time to get on it. End of the year the members who do not renew determine the number of open spots. So get on now and you might hear something by March or April.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:35 pm

A little more basic economics. I tell it to everyone when they say the waiting list is too long or some other such objection.

It costs nothing to be on the waiting list. No seat license like our beloved pro sports teams.

The sooner you get on the list the sooner your number will come up. At that point is when you have to make a decision and pony up a few bucks if you decide to join.
hard h2o

Postby cryptical on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:15 pm

If you're a U of M student group, make sure you get registered with the Student Org office. You'll be in the directory, and I think it allows you to do some fundraising/recruiting at Coffman.
cryptical

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:01 am

hard h2o wrote:A little more basic economics. I tell it to everyone when they say the waiting list is too long or some other such objection.

It costs nothing to be on the waiting list. No seat license like our beloved pro sports teams.

The sooner you get on the list the sooner your number will come up. At that point is when you have to make a decision and pony up a few bucks if you decide to join.

Very good point.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs