Young Shooter Need Help With Finding Club

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Young Shooter Need Help With Finding Club

Postby WildGoose on Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Hey there folks, long time lurker here.

I recently turned 18 and got an M1 Garand from my father as a gift along with an NRA membership. I've been shooting at the Burnsville Pistol and Rifle Range since I was 15 and I absolutely love that place. The staff there is helpful and the facilities are great but ever since I started getting more into shooting, I've run into some limitations with their range. Shooting in the rifle bay could only be done from the sitting position at a maximum range of 46 yard - which is not a problem for normal plinking but I'm thinking about shooting at longer ranges and in different positions so I can hopefully prepare myself for CMP Service Rifle matches. Besides getting myself into CMP Service Rifle, I just want to have a bit more freedom in shooting my guns outdoors with less limitations so I could become a better shooter.

I've looked into the Dakota County Gun Club but they have a long waiting list. I've tried contacting Faribault Rifle and Pistol Club but I have not yet received any responses and I do not know of anyone who can sponsor me. I live in the Apple Valley area.
WildGoose

Re: Young Shooter Need Help With Finding Club

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:19 pm

I suggest taking a look at Oakdale Gun Club. Their ranges are outdoors and go out to 200 meters. If you desire truly long range shooting, take a look at Gopher Rifle & Revolver Club in Harris ( a bit of a drive from the Southside) their longest range is 1000 yards.

I'm a member of both, and willing to take you as a guest, if you'd like to check either out. I will say, I prefer days when temps are 40° or higher.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby xd ED on Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:45 pm

American Legion Post 435 Gun Club is down towards Northfield.
200 yrd KD range and organized CMP, and informal league matches
Good place to get you feet wet.
http://www.post435gunclub.org

North Star Rifle Club is just north of RedWing.
Competition oriented club; good guys;
600yd kd range
http://www.northstarrifleclub.org

Good luck
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby greenfarmer on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Shady lane sportsmans club in Glencoe mn

Become a member and can shoot at range anytime the clubhouse isn't booked.

Membership is 25/year for 3 years. 4th year, as long as your a member in good standing, you pay your 25 annual dues, and become a lifetime member. And no more 25/year annual dues.

Membership requirements to be a member in good standing, is to make 6 meetings/year, and work 2 events.

No waiting list to become a member.

Monthly meetings are 2nd Tuesday of every month at 7:30pm

Pistol range, 100 yard, and 200 yard ranges. Trap throwers, shooting benches as well as open range.
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby photogpat on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 am

Oakdale is the best money I spend every year. $125, plus 2 days of range duty a year. This time of year through June, go during the week and you'll usually have the range to yourself. Bring your own steel...draw from the holster, etc....it's worth it, and only 20 minutes from my house.

The waiting list gets churned every year now, so get on now and you might even get the call here in a couple months.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Erud on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:05 am

I started out shooting NRA/CMP Highpower, and am an NRA High Master, CMP Distinguished Rifleman, etc. I mainly shoot NRA Prone matches now, but I'd be happy to help out a new shooter if I can. It isn't the best time of year for outdoor shooting, but I normally shoot every weekend at Minneapolis Rifle Club. We have a 300 meter range with electronic targets and we shoot from inside a heated building, so it's pretty manageable even if it's cold. Unlike many local clubs, MRC is made up of almost all competitive shooters, so you won't stand out like a sore thumb trying to shoot from position like at other places. Nearly everyone actively shoots or has shot some form of HP. I'll be going next Saturday, send me a PM through the board if you want to come along and shoot. I live in Farmington, so I drive through AV either way. Your dad is of course welcome too.

Erik
Erud

Postby Zarthan on Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Hello WildGoose,
I am a member of Faribault RPC, I really enjoy it, price is low, work is limited but still needs to be done.
Im coming from Savage so not going to spend an hour shooting but an afternoon, usually with my son.
Im always glad to meet a new shooter and would be willing to chat in a PM if you would like.
Brett
Zarthan

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 pm

photogpat wrote:Oakdale is the best money I spend every year. $125, plus 2 days of range duty a year. This time of year through June, go during the week and you'll usually have the range to yourself. Bring your own steel...draw from the holster, etc....it's worth it, and only 20 minutes from my house.

The waiting list gets churned every year now, so get on now and you might even get the call here in a couple months.

+1000
Holland&Holland

Postby xd ED on Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am

photogpat wrote:Oakdale is the best money I spend every year. $125, plus 2 days of range duty a year. This time of year through June, go during the week and you'll usually have the range to yourself. Bring your own steel...draw from the holster, etc....it's worth it, and only 20 minutes from my house.

is the wait list being handled differently than the past practice of getting on at the bottom, and ...waiting?

I agree; great bang for the buck, especially if it's 10 mn from home
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 am

xd ED wrote:

is the wait list being handled differently than the past practice of getting on at the bottom, and ...waiting?

I agree; great bang for the buck, especially if it's 10 mn from home

No but the turn has been quite a bit in recent years and the membership was expanded a few years ago. Right now existing members are paying their dues for next year. In Jan they will see how many openings we have so get on the list now if one wants in you may end up in by March. It cost nothing to be on the list.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:11 pm

xd ED wrote:

Isn't that generally how a wait list works? You put your name at the bottom and wait. Eventually you get to the top.

Is there something I am missing?
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:16 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:No but the turn has been quite a bit in recent years and the membership was expanded a few years ago. Right now existing members are paying their dues for next year. In Jan they will see how many openings we have so get on the list now if one wants in you may end up in by March. It cost nothing to be on the list.

We are lacking enough working members to man all the ranges for the full public season. That is one reason for increasing membership.

I tell guys to get on the list. It does not cost anything. If their number comes up and they are not ready to pull the trigger and join just get back on the list. You go to the bottom again but it still does not cost anything. I have heard a number of guys say they will not join because of the wait list. I do not understand the logic.
hard h2o

Postby WildGoose on Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks to everyone that posted! I'm busy this week (school just transitioned to a new tri/quarter) but I'll be PMing the those of you who have offered to show me around some of the clubs you are a part of soon.
WildGoose

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs