Oakdale Gun Club - Thoughts?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: Oakdale Gun Club - Thoughts?

Postby atomic41 on Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Wow, this is interesting. I've been a member of Faribault, (FRPC) for a while. There are a lot of oldtimers who are nothing but cool as hell. I'm moving to Lk Elmo soon so it will be a really long drive but I'll keep my membership because I can shoot 600 yards and the atmosphere is awesome. I'm going to be so close to OGC that I'll go there when I don't need to shoot far.
atomic41

Postby JLieu on Wed May 16, 2018 11:10 pm

yukonjasper wrote:I agree, I just don't care to argue or perpetuate hostility in a setting that includes guns and people who are already agitatated. There was, at the time, some tension regarding the State or U of M not renewing the lease since the property is part of the University Land Grant. It depended on support or input from neighbors (hence the approved route and strict shooting hours- both rules I had no issue with) I think the pervasive sense of paranoia may have made people less tolerant of any irregularities.

This Forum is proof that there is much to learn from the more experienced among us.

I've heard about that situation before regarding the land before. Not the best reason, but understandably why it was like walking on egg shells during that time.

I believe this has all settled down since then (at least for the time being). The last few times I've been out at DCGC, I haven't had any issues. In fact, there was often minimal to no people out there.

The orientation officer was an old-timer at DCGC and he had mentioned that he rarely comes out anymore because his shooting has significantly decreased over the years.
JLieu

Postby Erud on Thu May 17, 2018 5:56 am

Unless something has changed since I left DCGC, the lease on the property is renewed annually, so it could be cancelled by the U of M pretty much any time. The situation with the neighbors is real, though I suspect somewhat overblown by certain club members to add dramatic effect.
Erud

Previous

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs