Range conditions @ FLSC?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Range conditions @ FLSC?

Postby andrewP on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:08 pm

After last weekend's absurd snowstorm, does anybody know how things are in the competition bays at gate 3 at Forest Lake? Is it even possible to drive in there and park your car? I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense to pack up my gear and try to get to the USPSA match up there tomorrow. I've been itching to shoot outside, and the temperature is supposed to be halfway tolerable tomorrow afternoon/evening, but if it's a sloppy mess, that might take a bit of the fun out of it...
andrewP

Re: Range conditions @ FLSC?

Postby usnret on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:01 pm

They are shooting.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:25 am

I suspect with the heavy snowfall and cool temps the ground will still be frozen. Low spots where the melting snow collects will turn into mud holes. Mpls Rifle Club and North Star Rifle Club have canceled all their scheduled events this weekend to preserve their grounds.

Like you I want to get out and shoot, but I'm going to wait until the ground firms up. :cry:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 am

20 miles north of Forest Lake, at Gopher in Harris, most of the roads had muddy/ soft spots to the point a my car nearly got stuck a few times... 6" snow on the 200m range, and 2-4" mud in the parking area; road to the pits looked impassable with mud and water, so i didn't get try get on the KD range; spent about as much time in the car wash line as I did shooting. There was talk of closing some roads at the meeting later that night, to keep them from getting wrecked.

If the FL match is still on that's a positive sign, but the next week or two doesn't look good for a trip to the range.
The winter of global warming continues....
:freezin:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby andrewP on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 pm

xd ED wrote:If the FL match is still on that's a positive sign, but the next week or two doesn't look good for a trip to the range.
The winter of global warming continues....
:freezin:

The match was still listed as not cancelled when I left work this afternoon, so I ended up driving up there. As it turns out, the snow in the bays had been plowed into the back berms, so the bays were totally fine - there was just a small "snow berm" in front of the real berm. The gravel roads on the way in, on the other hand, were definitely sketchy; there really wasn't any gravel left after the winter, so they were basically a fun combo of ruts and mud with occasional solid-ish dirt. The match was a good time, though - just warm enough that it was comfortable. Had fun shooting outside with a good group of people. :)
andrewP

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs