Any Oakdale Gun Members Out There?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Any Oakdale Gun Members Out There?

Postby mnlitig8r on Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:16 am

I'm interested in joining the Oakdale Gun Club. I've shot there a handful of times this summer and found the facilities to be great and the people out there even better. The problem is that in order to apply I need to pick up an application at the club in person - they are not mailing them out this year - and I have a few commitments over the next few weekends that will prevent me from going to the club during public shooting hours to get one.

So, if you're a member of the club and you plan to be out there anyway, if you'd be willing to pick up a membership application form for me I'd be glad to send you a preaddressed and posted envelope for you to mail it out to me.

You can post a reply here, or you can send me a private message with your address.

I'd love to be able to get out there myself to pick up the form and spend a day engaged in one of my favorite activities, but unfortunately work and family duties call. Thanks in advance for any help.
mnlitig8r

Re: Any Oakdale Gun Members Out There?

Postby cobb on Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:19 am

The VP is a member here, among others.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby nyffman on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:12 am

I am a member and try to stop in once a week or so to shoot before going to work. If you haven't gotten one, I could get one for you today.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby plblark on Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:29 pm

After reading their website, I would assume that the apps will not be out until 09/01/07.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby ttousi on Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:26 pm

Available only during public shooting hours starting 9/1. You may have to pick them up in person ..........not sure
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby mnlitig8r on Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:37 pm

The "beginning September 1, 2007" part is new. Before it just read that they needed to be picked up at the club in person.

In any event, I have a gracious volunteer who has offered to pick one up for me.
mnlitig8r

Postby MsT on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:25 pm

So much for anonymity ... Here's the information I can give you now. I have a meeting tomorrow and one of the topics will be application distribution, so I may be able to post more tomorrow night.

At least to begin with, there will be only 75 applications available; they will be available September 1 in the clubhouse; (the application will NOT be on the website) and they will be numbered. It may be that if applications are not returned by a certain date, the numbers will be voided and more will be put out.

Currently membership stands at (roughly) 1000 and that's where we want to keep it. We have no way of knowing what attrition will be, so 75 seemed like a "safe" number. By limiting the number of applications available, we don't have to keep a "wait list".
“It is not the things we do in our lives that we regret – it’s the things we don’t do.” (Randy Pausch)

MCPPA Instructor - http://www.TrainingOptionsLLC.com
NRA Instructor
MN DNR Firearms Safety Instructor
Firearms Academy of Seattle Aug. 2008
MsT

Postby mnlitig8r on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:34 pm

So is it a case of "first come-first served"? Obviously I have no knowledge of the reasons for doing things a certain way, but it would seem to me that the club might be better served by collecting how ever many applications are sent in and then accepting members subject to availability but based on who are believed to be the best candidates rather than who were the first ones to get and mail in the form.

That said, it looks like public shooting hours will continue into September, so as long as I can get through the first week of September, and as long at there are application forms remaining, I'll make an effort to get out to the club to shoot and pick up a form. Besides, my son has a new DNR certificate that allows him (finally) to be able shoot too, so all the more reason to get out there.

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it.
mnlitig8r

Postby MsT on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:48 pm

Yes, first come basis.

Be sure your son has his certificate with him when you come. He will have to show it.

We will be open weekends through September, then beginning October 1 we will be open daily through Sunday November 18. After that, it's members only until the first weekend in June 2008. (Hours are from 8 AM until 4:30 PM. However, generally they won't let a new public shooter in after 4 PM because of closing time.)

It would be WAY too much work to "screen" applicants. It seems like the good ones stay, and the others drop out after a year or so.
“It is not the things we do in our lives that we regret – it’s the things we don’t do.” (Randy Pausch)

NRA Instructor
MsT

Postby mnlitig8r on Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:58 pm

That makes sense. I just figured that with such a nice club you could have your pick of the litter, so to speak. I see what you mean about it being tough to manage such an active screening process. Hopefully the applications will survive past the first weekend. If not, well, there's nothing more I can do.

As for my son, he took the DNR class all so he could go shooting with me at OGC. He scored 100% on the test, so he will not only bring it with him, he'll show it to anyone who will take a look.

Thanks again for the insight.
mnlitig8r

Postby MsT on Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Thank you - we do have a nice place, and we're "improving" the facility all the time. I hope that you're able to get an application.

NRA Instructor
MsT

Postby mnlitig8r on Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:04 pm

I've shot at most of the clubs and indoor ranges in town and there isn't one I like better. In fact, there isn't one I like even close to as much as OGC. Besides, with a young shooter I especially appreciate the focus on safety. Some visitors complain about the formality that the range officers insist upon, but I appreciate it greatly.
mnlitig8r

Postby ttousi on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:14 pm

MsT wrote: It seems like the good ones stay, and the others drop out after a year or so.

How do you explain me lasting more than a year :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby hammAR on Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:26 pm

ttousi wrote:
MsT wrote: It seems like the good ones stay, and the others drop out after a year or so.

How do you explain me lasting more than a year :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They must pay your renewals for you just to keep you around, they need the stories....... :D
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby MsT on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:01 pm

Here's the information on 2008 Oakdale Gun Club applications.

They'll be out on September 1 (you knew that). They will have to be returned to the club by November 1. After November 1, the numbers of any applications not returned will be voided. We will print applications with "new numbers" beyond 75 to "replace" what hasn't been returned and they will be put out after November 1.

If you can't get there yourself, you can have someone pick up an application for you.

Hope to see some of you at the new member meetings next spring.

NRA Instructor
MsT

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs