OGC Picnic

Local shooting clubs and leagues

OGC Picnic

Postby hard h2o on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:31 am

Anyone go?

It was a great time.

I ended up winning $60 between trap, splitting the stick with my .45, and hitting the gong with the .300 WSM deer rifle.

Too many guys going for time with the pistol. If you do not break the stick your time doesn't count. 36 or so guys tried. 6 split it. Only 2 of us split it twice. Fastest time was something like 3 seconds. Someone did it in 7 or so. I ended up in 6th place. My first time was 60 seconds and change. Tried again and lowered to 54 seconds. Good enough for some money. Not bad for using my short carry piece with the long heavy trigger pull.

Deer rifle was a gimme. I thing 4 people tried. I feel should have done a lot better. Came in second by hitting it twice. Off hand or kneeling at 50 yards. My crosshairs would not stay on the 4" square. Supposed to be any legal deer rifle. When I tried only one other guy had done it.

While I was there another guy and his wife stepped up with a 9mm carbine. Said it was legal in WI. Trying to game the system. Called on it because club is in MN. He tried finding the regs for WI on his phone and could not. It was decided to let him have a go. He sets up shooting lefty. His wife asked why he was shooting lefty. He said that was his off hand. He was quickly schooled on off hand versus weak hand. He ended up putting up a donut. Then his wife was going to try. Seeing that her husband did not have a clue I went over to her and gave her a few tips on using the sling, locking in her shooting position, breathing, allowing the sights to wander a bit and not trying to force them to stay on target... She ended up hitting it once and beat her husband. Later at the awards thing she cam over and thanked me and said that I had helped her with the few tips.
hard h2o

Re: OGC Picnic

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:29 am

Actually 9mm is legal for deer in MN. Not ethical in my opinion but legal.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:04 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Actually 9mm is legal for deer in MN. Not ethical in my opinion but legal.

Looks like you are correct. I though 10mm used to be the minimum straight wall cartridge allowed.
hard h2o

OGC Picnic

Postby Ironbear on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:40 pm

When the rules changed, didn't .25 ACP become legal? I seem to remember a bit of mockery going around about that! Still true?
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby xd ED on Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Ironbear wrote:When the rules changed, didn't .25 ACP become legal? I seem to remember a bit of mockery going around about that! Still true?

I believe current rule is any centerfire cartridge, so yes, .25 acp is a legal deer round.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:56 pm

Yup. The DNR finally got it right. There position is that it is up to the hunter to determine what is ethical for a clean kill .
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:07 pm

xd ED wrote:
Ironbear wrote:When the rules changed, didn't .25 ACP become legal? I seem to remember a bit of mockery going around about that! Still true?

I believe current rule is any centerfire cartridge, so yes, .25 acp is a legal deer round.

Any centerfire cartridge larger than .220 and loaded with single projectile ammunition.

So .25 ACP, .380, .32...

I knew about the .220 and over centerfire change. I just thought they kept the 10mm and higher for the straight walled cartridges.

I guess my 12mm pinfire revolver will have to be retired from the deer woods.
hard h2o

Postby xd ED on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:40 pm

hard h2o wrote:
xd ED wrote:

Any centerfire cartridge larger than .220 and loaded with single projectile ammunition.

So .25 ACP, .380, .32...

I knew about the .220 and over centerfire change. I just thought they kept the 10mm and higher for the straight walled cartridges.

I guess my 12mm pinfire revolver will have to be retired from the deer woods.

Yep; I stand corrected the min dia. is 0.22". I'd really like to review the discussion that went into the making of that rule...
...and I'm curious: Is that spec something the DNR can regulate, or was it in fact part of a piece of legislation?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:54 pm

My understanding was that this was changed a few years ago when the DNR conducted a large series of public opinion sessions on deer hunting a reengineered how they approached a number of things.

It was a few years ago and I recall that the regulations had a significant number of changes that year. I seem to recall some level of legislative approval due to the extent of the rewrite but I could be wrong.
Holland&Holland

Postby hard h2o on Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 am

I believe there are some states that allow straight wall cartridges along side slogs in some areas.

I can understand that but for us to allow anything .22 and bigger as long as it is centerfire does not make sense.

Deer with a 9mm does not sound kosher. That is a big reason I assumed the guy was wrong.
hard h2o

Postby crbutler on Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Since centerfire .22’s are all .224”, they are legal as well.

Frankly, I’ve seen enough big game animals killed with a rim fire to not worry too much about it, if the guy using it knows what he’s doing.

I’d like to see something done about shotguns only for deer in the southern part of the state. Yes, handguns are an option, but still.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:46 pm

crbutler wrote:Since centerfire .22’s are all .224”, they are legal as well.

Frankly, I’ve seen enough big game animals killed with a rim fire to not worry too much about it, if the guy using it knows what he’s doing.

I’d like to see something done about shotguns only for deer in the southern part of the state. Yes, handguns are an option, but still.

AR pistol with a sig brace in .300 blackout gets around that pretty nicely.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:53 pm

hard h2o wrote:I believe there are some states that allow straight wall cartridges along side slogs in some areas.

I can understand that but for us to allow anything .22 and bigger as long as it is centerfire does not make sense.

Deer with a 9mm does not sound kosher. That is a big reason I assumed the guy was wrong.

I would not use one but with the right load I am guessing it would be quite effective at say 25 yards.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 am

Will the new 350 Legend, that's a straight walled case (centerfire) be able to be hunted with, in areas that are designated as shotgun or handgun? It's been years since I hunted (last hunted in GA) and the MN rules, reads like War & Peace.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby ex-LT on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:59 am

BigDog58 wrote:Will the new 350 Legend, that's a straight walled case (centerfire) be able to be hunted with, in areas that are designated as shotgun or handgun? It's been years since I hunted (last hunted in GA) and the MN rules, reads like War & Peace.

Not if it's a rifle. However, a pistol chambered in .350 Legend would be legal.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs