Oakdale Gun Club "OGC" Closure

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: Oakdale Gun Club "OGC" Closure

Postby jdege on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:09 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:My question to those reading this, how many of you are willing to run for a board position to change the status quo?

I'm very willing for other people to step up and do the work.

I'm too busy.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:53 am

jdege wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:My question to those reading this, how many of you are willing to run for a board position to change the status quo?

I'm too busy.

This unfortunately is the most common answer whenever this question is asked.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:52 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
jdege wrote:

I'm too busy.

This unfortunately is the most common answer whenever this question is asked.

It is, however that does not make it not true. We all have other commitments in our lives and deciding priorities is important. Personally I could not take on this commitment because if I did I would not do it half assed. However I would be very supportive if someone stepped forward who wanted to take on the current administration.
Holland&Holland

Postby mc762x54R on Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:20 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Erud wrote:That is the most ridiculous gun club of all time. Seriously.

From an outside observer, for as long as I've participated on this form, threads regarding OGC seem to have these recurring themes.

The BoD doesn't run the club properly.
    The BoD is difficult to contact and they don't answer questions.
    It's next to impossible to sign up for range/work duty.
My question to those reading this, how many of you are willing to run for a board position to change the status quo?

I am, its not my personality type to want to be in a position like that, but I can do it, I live 5 miles from the range, I can use a computer, and I like shooting more than I would like saying "I'm a board member"
Having them shut down just made this whole endless quarantine that much worse.
I drove up north yesterday, the idiotic state has half the forest roads closed, and every home improvement store had a packed parking lot. The little hospital on 169 looked deserted. We might as well work if every Menards is filled to capacity every weekend.
mc762x54R

Postby jdege on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:26 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Personally I could not take on this commitment because if I did I would not do it half assed. However I would be very supportive if someone stepped forward who wanted to take on the current administration.

Which is true if everyone - including, I expect, the current administration.
jdege

Postby Erud on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:55 am

Jdege,
I sort of get the impression from your posts in this thread that you are on the OGC board. If so, how did you vote on the closure?

Thanks
Erud

Postby jdege on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:05 am

I'm not in the board.

I never even attend the meetings.

I just get kinda tired of the complaints.
jdege

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:07 am

My comments above are not meant to denigrate anyone. We all have lives outside our respective gun clubs.

I'm merely pointing out that if no one steps up to replace the "old guard", then they will continue to run things.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:58 am

mc762x54R wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Erud wrote:That is the most ridiculous gun club of all time. Seriously.

From an outside observer, for as long as I've participated on this form, threads regarding OGC seem to have these recurring themes.

The BoD doesn't run the club properly.
    The BoD is difficult to contact and they don't answer questions.
    It's next to impossible to sign up for range/work duty.
My question to those reading this, how many of you are willing to run for a board position to change the status quo?

I am, its not my personality type to want to be in a position like that, but I can do it, I live 5 miles from the range, I can use a computer, and I like shooting more than I would like saying "I'm a board member"
Having them shut down just made this whole endless quarantine that much worse.
I drove up north yesterday, the idiotic state has half the forest roads closed, and every home improvement store had a packed parking lot. The little hospital on 169 looked deserted. We might as well work if every Menards is filled to capacity every weekend.

Just got back from Fleetfarm and nearly everything I wanted to buy was sold out.

Place was busy, including the elderly gentlemen with Santa beards and face masks that had zero chance of being effective.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:02 pm

Ghost wrote:Just got back from Fleetfarm and nearly everything I wanted to buy was sold out.

Place was busy, including the elderly gentlemen with Santa beards and face masks that had zero chance of being effective.

Ya but they looked cool.........
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby mc762x54R on Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:04 pm

jdege wrote:I'm not in the board.

I never even attend the meetings.

I just get kinda tired of the complaints.

I never had any reason to complain until they shut the place down when they didn't have to.
mc762x54R

Postby hard h2o on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 am

Made it out yesterday. I brought enough firearms to cover the gamut of ranges so that I would hopefully ensure that I would be able to shoot at one or more of the ranges. I had pistols, rifles, and my trap gun.

I anticipated more members than there were. I assumed that the ranges would have less capacity due to everyone trying to keep the distancing. And with the good weather I expected there to be more members taking advantage. I brought along wipes and hand sanitizer like the email mentioned.

Driving in 2 of the 3 trap ranges were in use. pulled up to the members pistol and there were a few guys but I was able to setup on a bench and keep distance from the guy next to me. Shot the .45 and the .22 S&Ws.

I could hear shooting on the 200 so someone was there.

I did not peek into the 25 yard.

Went to the 100. Every other bench was flipped on its end. Even so there was enough room.

Leaving all 3 trap ranges were open. I was out of time however.

I did not see a need for the wipes. I used my own clothes pins.

I am very happy that we are open again.
hard h2o

Postby Drizzle on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:55 pm

Went shooting today. There were a couple of parties on the short range. One seemed to be giving instruction to another. I thought about asking if they lived in the same household, but decided that would be chickensh!t.

One car on the 200, a couple people in the 25, what sounded like a mag dump on the 100. I had company on the comp range, but just one guy and we had 20 yards between us. No one on trap.

I had a mask on, but took it off due to fogging issues. Didn't touch anything but my own gear and clothespins, besides setting mags on the benches, so I shouldn't be a spreader. I wore Mechanix gloves, but more because it was kind of cold.

Glad it's open, it's a good way to kill a couple of hours. Like someone else said, bring a couple guns so you can go to another range if your first choice is full.
Drizzle

Postby hard h2o on Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:09 pm

Drizzle wrote:Went shooting today. There were a couple of parties on the short range. One seemed to be giving instruction to another. I thought about asking if they lived in the same household, but decided that would be chickensh!t.

When I was there the other day on the short range the guy nearest me was also shooting a .45. I was asking him if he saved his brass and we were then working out how to tell ours apart. Another member there came up to us and politely reminded us that we needed to be distancing for the sake of the club being open.

Later two guys showed up. One mentioned about how nice it was to be out. He then said he couldn't remember the rules from the email. I recited them to him and when I mentioned the part about a guest needing to be living in the same household he kind of got a deer in the headlights look. He remarked to his buddy, whom I had assumed to be another member, that he would have to adopt him for the day.

On the 100 there was a guy who said he was a new member. He was getting a bit too close to me while talking. Closer than I even would have liked before this pandemic. He was not displaying his badge like the email said. I did not correct him because I did not want him to think I was inviting some close quarters discourse.

There was a father, young son, and grandpa. Dad and grandpa are members. They asked how I had gotten my 2020 badge sticker. Does no one read the emails or are they just selective in the ones they open. They obviously got the email saying we are open. Must have missed the ones that detailed how to show up prior to the meeting to pick up the badge sticker.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:28 pm

hard h2o wrote:
Drizzle wrote:Went shooting today. There were a couple of parties on the short range. One seemed to be giving instruction to another. I thought about asking if they lived in the same household, but decided that would be chickensh!t.

When I was there the other day on the short range the guy nearest me was also shooting a .45. I was asking him if he saved his brass and we were then working out how to tell ours apart. Another member there came up to us and politely reminded us that we needed to be distancing for the sake of the club being open.

Later two guys showed up. One mentioned about how nice it was to be out. He then said he couldn't remember the rules from the email. I recited them to him and when I mentioned the part about a guest needing to be living in the same household he kind of got a deer in the headlights look. He remarked to his buddy, whom I had assumed to be another member, that he would have to adopt him for the day.

On the 100 there was a guy who said he was a new member. He was getting a bit too close to me while talking. Closer than I even would have liked before this pandemic. He was not displaying his badge like the email said. I did not correct him because I did not want him to think I was inviting some close quarters discourse.

There was a father, young son, and grandpa. Dad and grandpa are members. They asked how I had gotten my 2020 badge sticker. Does no one read the emails or are they just selective in the ones they open. They obviously got the email saying we are open. Must have missed the ones that detailed how to show up prior to the meeting to pick up the badge sticker.

I musta missed that one too. So they are not mailing them out this year?
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs