Competition Shooting

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Competition Shooting

Postby FirearmFan on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:05 pm

I've been wanting to get into competition shooting for a while now and this year I want to start. I've been shooting for years but I've never participated in any competitive shooting event so I'm a rookie in this field. I plan on going to the steel shoots to get a feel for everything but I also want to get involved in more. There are so many different associations to choose from (IDPA, USPSA, GSSF, CAS/SASS, 3-gun) that I'm not sure what would be the best route to go. It looks like IDPA has a pretty big following in Minnesota so I'm thinking that may be my best bet. I'm pretty much just looking for advice, suggestions, experiences, or words of wisdom from experienced competion shooters. Thanks
FirearmFan

Re: Competition Shooting

Postby jac714 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm

I am a IDPA guy so take this for what it is worth.

IDPA is an attempt to reproduce under controlled conditions some of the possible scenarios you might run into while carrying as a civilian. It is defensive in nature and involves less running and usually has a lower round count per match.

IPSC (or USPSA) is more of an offensive type of shooting, you are running and gunning and usually shoot more per match.

One of the local IDPA clubs (to which I belong and am an active member) is Twin Cities IDPA, LLC. http://WWW.twincitiesidpa.com

Our indoor schedule is pretty full and it is hard to shoot with us during the winter (due to demand for slots in the matches) but during the summer it is a matter of showing up after you are approved to shoot with us.

If youo have any questions after checking out the website let em know.

LAter
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Ironbear on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Could you perhaps narrow it down to whether you would prefer to shoot handguns, rifles or shotgun? :) The list you threw out is not exclusively handguns.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby FirearmFan on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:29 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been to that website before and like I said that's what I've been leaning towards. So it looks like in order to be eligible to join you have to have tactical training, proving you can draw safely from a holster and shoot around barricades and what not. That's not a problem. And then you have to be approved by the Club Governor and watch a match. It is possible to just come watch a match even before I apply and talk to the gov and what not right? I'd like to come check it out before I get involved anyways.
FirearmFan

Postby FirearmFan on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Could you perhaps narrow it down to whether you would prefer to shoot handguns, rifles or shotgun? The list you threw out is not exclusively handguns.

Yeah sorry, I was going to but looks like I forgot. I think it would be fun to do a 3-gun event and shoot all 3 but I'm most interested in handguns since it seems like there are more options for that.
FirearmFan

Postby macphisto on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:39 pm

I got my start at the steel shoots. You'll learn a lot and have fun. It's a perfect and rare opportunity to get your feet wet in competitive shooting. See you there!
macphisto

Postby jac714 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:45 pm

FirearmFan wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I have been to that website before and like I said that's what I've been leaning towards. So it looks like in order to be eligible to join you have to have tactical training, proving you can draw safely from a holster and shoot around barricades and what not. That's not a problem. And then you have to be approved by the Club Governor and watch a match. It is possible to just come watch a match even before I apply and talk to the gov and what not right? I'd like to come check it out before I get involved anyways.

If you go to the website and then to the match registration page yopu can register as a watcher. You will meet up with he people who can approve your experience and watch a match. Contact Mike Baca, he is the guy that deals with new shooters.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby cmj685 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:17 pm

And jac714 is being a little modest, but he is one of the guys in the know for IDPA too. Seriously, IDPA is a load of fun, and the steel shoots are every bit as fun...and a little bit more low-key way to get your feet wet in competition shooting. Try a few steel shoots and come to the IDPA matches...you'll catch on pretty quickly.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby jac714 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks CMJ but I am just one of the guys, an old, fat, slow one at that, but that is a different story. :D :D

The steel shoots are a great way to get your feet wet, China and Selurcspi run a safe and fun match. You will meet some great people who are good shooters.

Another option is Minnetonka Game and Fish IDPA their website is http://www.mgfc-action-shooting.org/

If you decide you want to try IDPA a good start is to take a look at the rulebook at http://www.idpa.com it will help you learn some of the unique parts of the game.

Keep in mind that is what it is, a game. It is not training, it will however increase your skills (gun handling, reloads etc...) but it is a game.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:59 pm

I started with the steel shoots that selurcspi and chinakay run year before last. Last year I started shooting GSSF. Hopefully this year I can get into some IDPA time and cash flow permitting. Every competition offers something different to help improve your shooting. If you're shooting Glocks I would highly recommend GSSF and the steel shoots are a must for the comic relief if nothing else.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby FirearmFan on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:14 pm

I'm def going to try to make it to as many of the steel shoots as I can and it looks like I'm going to try to get into IDPA too. I did just buy a G17 yesterday so I could look into GSSF too. From what I can tell there aren't very many matches around for GSSF though. After very brief research all I found was an occasional match at Oakdale Gun Club. How often are there GSSF matches?
FirearmFan

Postby macphisto on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:27 pm

jac714 wrote:I am just one of the guys, an old, fat, slow one at that, but that is a different story.

Well yeah, but you're a heckuva nice guy, too. :P
macphisto

Postby Fast351 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:01 am

If I were starting today, and had never shot competition, I would start with the hutch steel shoots. It's a little more relaxed and a good way to get the flavor of shooting competition.

Next step would be IDPA. Twin Cities IDPA does some reasonable vetting before they allow you to play on their range, so make sure you read up on their rules for shooting your first match. Tactical training is not required, but you are expected to know how to draw safely from a holster and manipulate your firearm (loading, unloading, reloading) without shooting yourself or pointing the business end of your firearm in the wrong direction. Minnetonka IDPA is a little more open to newcomers, but be aware that it is also not the place to learn to draw from a holster. Competition shooters are some of the best firearms handlers out there and have little tolerance for gross violations of the 4 rules. IDPA is a safety first, fun second club though, and the emphasis is to make everyone feel welcome. It's a great time and I've met some great friends through IDPA.

IPSC/USPSA is the other main action pistol sport. It's more rounds, more exotic stages, more movement, less realistic. More of an equipment race, and to be competitive, you have to be a pretty regular shooter. It's a lot of fun, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.

There are a bunch of shotgun sports, but I'm not as familiar with them. I will say that you will get swept by shotgun barrels more times in 10 minutes than you will get swept by handgun barrels in IDPA or IPSC in 10 years at a trap league. Not my cup of tea.

For long range shooting, there's F-Class. Elk River is hosting a weekly shoot on Monday nights. It's a lot of fun if you're interested in doing tight groups with a precision rifle at LONG ranges (300/600 yards).

And then there's three gun. That is my favorite shooting sport. Lots of fun, probably not the best for a beginner though. Del Tone in St. Cloud hosts a shoot once a month including a HUGE national event in August (make plans to come watch this even if you don't attend).
Fast351

Postby jac714 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:23 am

macphisto wrote:
jac714 wrote:I am just one of the guys, an old, fat, slow one at that, but that is a different story.

Well yeah, but you're a heckuva nice guy, too. :P

:oops: :oops: :oops:

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby EAJuggalo on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:16 am

GSSF runs shoots all over the country. There is a match at Oakdale in July and Milwaukee in October that are reasonably close but I know a lot of guys that plan their vacations to go elsewhere and shoot. One of the members here, ButchG17, goes to between 10 and 15 shoots a year. Membership in GSSF also allows you to purchase Glocks at LEO pricing from Streichers and a seat in the Glock Armorers' class. Head over to gssfonline.com in internet explorer and take a closer look.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs