Looking for Good club to Join

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Looking for Good club to Join

Postby engineerairborne on Fri May 29, 2009 1:11 pm

I know that this might be a lame request but a guy has got to try.

I have been searching for Gun clubs close to me that have a long rifle range. From what I have been able to find on the net, the Elk River Sportsman club looks to be the best. From what I can understand from reading their sight, it appears that if you don't know a member that you ain't getting in. These leaves me with two options.

1. I can go door to door asking people if they are members, and hoping that I find one that does not think I'm a bit strang.

2. Else find another range in the area that has long rifle ranges that are open to the public.

I'm posing this on this board because from what I can see, it appears that there are members of the Elk Sportsmans club that use these boards, and I'm hoping that one of them might send me down the path to what I would need to do in order to become a member of the Elk River Sportman's club.
engineerairborne

Re: Looking for Good club to Join

Postby Stradawhovious on Fri May 29, 2009 1:25 pm

Define long rifle range. Are we talking 200 yards, or 1000 yards?
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby mnmike59 on Fri May 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Faribault gun club has a n 600 yard and possibly 800 yard rifle.

22447 Fairbanks Ave., Faribault, MN 55021. phone: 507-334-9630
"Just remember boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes it doesn't mean you win."
Fox Mulder.
mnmike59

Postby engineerairborne on Fri May 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Anything longer then 400.

I'm use to shooting 300 with Iron Sights thanks to the military, but now that I have my own .308 toy with a scope, I want to try something with a little more distance, and go from there. But it would also be nice to belong to a club, or have a facility that was close by that I could go to on a regular basis. I have also recently gotten into handloading, and want to have a range that I can use to test out my loads.

I have done some shooting at Bills GS, and it is a nice facility, but I don't know that it is what I want to stick with for rifle.

Faribault is way to far for me. I live just north of the cities, and between my ragular job, the Fire Department activities, and the military, I don't have a lot of time for traveling to ranges.
engineerairborne

Postby dismal on Fri May 29, 2009 3:30 pm

It's probably too far for you, but there is a 600 yd range in Red Wing.

http://www.mrra.org/northstar/index.htm
dismal

Postby DeanC on Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Elk River is probably where you want to join, but you have to be sponsored to get in.

Best bet, go to the meets on the KD range. They are open to the public. ersportsman.com
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby monschman on Fri May 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Also be sure check out gopher rifle and revolver in harris, one of the fewer ranges with a real reach out and touch you lines
monschman

Postby PhilaBOR on Sat May 30, 2009 6:27 am

DeanC wrote:Elk River is probably where you want to join, but you have to be sponsored to get in.

Best bet, go to the meets on the KD range. They are open to the public. ersportsman.com

I've been to one of Elk River's F-class shoots on Monday nights. Real friendly people and a lot of fun. They shoot 300 or 600 yards on a given week. I imagine if you go often you can develop the relationship to get in.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby engineerairborne on Sat May 30, 2009 7:49 am

Thanks for the information everyone.

I will definitely have to check out the public events. I just like the fact for me that the El River site is so close that going to shoot does not have to be an all day or night event.
engineerairborne

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs