Course for women ????

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Course for women ????

Postby markandco on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:36 pm

I have asked my wife to take the carry class but she is uncomfortable with handguns in general. I wish to have a gun in each of our vehicles, in a lockbox, and I feel she should have the permit.

Is there a course out there with an intro to handguns and a carry class with a focus on women? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,

Mark
markandco

Re: Course for women ????

Postby plblark on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:40 pm

Teresa At Bill's Gunshop would be a great resource and teacher.
MsT hereabouts has done Introduction to Firearms for Women classes.

CorneredCat.com is a great resource as well.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby onebohemian on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:21 pm

plblark wrote:Teresa At Bill's Gunshop would be a great resource and teacher.

+1 for Teresa at Bills. She typically works up at North but I think she teaches at both locations.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:42 pm

Mark -

Please see my post about "Jason's Juggernaut" in a separate thread
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Fast351 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:16 pm

No matter who your wife takes the class from, I highly recommend a women's only course. My wife did this and was far more comfortable than she would have been shooting as the only or one of only two females. They are their own support structure.

She passed with flying colors. Still doesn't carry but I can at least leave a firearm in the car if she's with.
Fast351

Postby Aftrshck on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:37 pm

markandco wrote:...I wish to have a gun in each of our vehicles, in a lockbox, and I feel she should have the permit.....

I highly do not like the concept of this. One should not be leaving a firearm in a vehicle...unattended...just to leave it in there...this is where common sense should prevail and one should realize this is bad idea. If you are a permit holder and she decides to become one on her own....THEN talk about a gun for her....but leaving a gun in a car just to have it in there is....just a bad bad idea....in MY personal opinion....

and for the record +1 for Teresa at Bill's...she is an AWESOME instructor....

~Aftrshck
--
~Aftrshck
Aftrshck

Postby Don L on Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:54 am

I believe Ms T has a couple of women's courses scheduled, also.
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

Postby Ironbear on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Don L wrote:I believe Ms T has a couple of women's courses scheduled, also.
Here they are:
http://www.oakdalegunclub.org/women.html ... and I think she said recently that they were nearly full, and that was with just the waiting list....
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:51 pm

A special class is one option or you can do what I did, I retook the class with my wife and our class had 4-5 couples and few guys. I took it from someone that posts on the other board alot, they held the class at robbinsdale Bill's. I'm sure you can located them. My wife kicked butt on the shooting part, made more than a few guys tkae a second look at the target, and it was a fun date day for us.

All said my wife is comfortable on the range so maybe that made it easier for her, I also enjoyed the refresher and used it for my Utah permit request.

This brings up a good thought, we should have a couples outing at one of the ranges some day. Take the ladies shooting then out for a little lunch. I think we could earn some brownie points here guys, what do you think?
mmcnx2

Postby plblark on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:13 am

I've heard of "Ladies' Night at the Range" promotions in other cities. I think Coal Creek Armory ran them with great success.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Return to Training