Defensive Skill Building Class...August 25 and 26, Bird Isla

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Defensive Skill Building Class...August 25 and 26, Bird Isla

Postby phorvick on Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:26 pm

FarmerJ and I will be conducting a defensive skill improvement class in Saturday August 25 and an encore on Sunday August 26th, in Bird Island, MN (about 75 miles west of Mpls).

We work on draw techniques, mag changes, shooting stationary (aimed and unaimed), shooting on the move, barrier shooting, law enforcement courses of fire etc. About 500+ rounds of shooting!

$150

For more information or to register ...send e-mail to: paul (at) shootingsafely.com or jon (at) shootingsafely.com
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Defensive Skill Building Class...August 25 and 26, Bird Isla

Postby phorvick on Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:10 am

The date is approaching...the weather forecast is superb (OK, who knows for sure on that!) and it is time to commit to a fun day of shooting.

Send a note to FarmerJ or myself for more information...

paul at shootingsafely.com or jon at shootingsafely.com

Here are some pictures from an earlier class...

http://shootingsafely.com/advancedclass.htm
phorvick

Postby cmj685 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:58 am

OK, time for a whine. But when are you going to bring this closer to the cities? Why do the outstate guys get everything? ;)
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby phorvick on Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:58 am

cmj685 wrote:OK, time for a whine. But when are you going to bring this closer to the cities? Why do the outstate guys get everything? ;)
I think you can find other folks, either in or close to the Cities..that do much the same type of class.

Also, although this one is in Bird Island, the next one..probably in Oct or Nov, will be in Cokato...less than an hour from Mpls...

The reason that such classes tend to be farther than Bill's or the BPR is that it is beneficial to be able to have lots of space, to be able to shoot on the move, to be able to practice "hot" draw strokes+firing, to be able to have barriers to shoot around and from (cars??), and be able to have a bit of extra fun (tannerite??) ...and that really needs to be outdoors and with supportive range facilities that often are not "in town"....
phorvick

Postby tt3 on Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:02 pm

As you know, I'm signing up for the one in Cokato! (Unless I find something sooner... even then, I might still do it. :lol: )
tt3

Postby phorvick on Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:44 pm

tt3 wrote:As you know, I'm signing up for the one in Cokato! (Unless I find something sooner... even then, I might still do it. :lol: )
Thanks...that will be fun.

One thing that Jon and I get asked a lot is "what" is done at the class.

Jon and I are, among other certifications, instructor trained by Steve Silverman of FR&I and we use his Level II class curriculum as the foundation of our classes. Although his Level II is 3 days, Jon and I have trimmed it down to 2 days or 1 day for a more intense experience.

Here is a link to what to expect, keeping in mind that our typical 1 day class will be a tad more intense due to compressing of the time element.

http://f-r-i.com/ccmag.pdf

(If you cannot display a PDF file, you can download an Adobe reader for free at adobe.com or I can send a hard copy of the article to you...in that instance, PM me a mailing address for the material.)
phorvick

Postby farmerj on Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:24 pm

cmj685 wrote:OK, time for a whine. But when are you going to bring this closer to the cities? Why do the outstate guys get everything? ;)

Find us a range closer to the cities that allows holster work, 35 M distance, as well as shooting while moving with either a pistol, shotgun or a rifle (AR-15 or other variant)....

Have class, will travel.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby pastorpaul on Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:44 pm

i'll be there sunday. i have sent a pm to farmerj.
j in J - pp

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!
pastorpaul

Postby farmerj on Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:50 am

I have never been to this range myself. I will be making a drive out there this week to figure out how to get there myself on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Glad to see the interest even with having to move it out further.

Hope to have some "surprises" for you all this class.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby phorvick on Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:56 am

Both FarmerJ and I have had some tentative inquiries for the session on Saturday, but people are rightfully conflicted as there is just too much fun to choose from on the 25th! (This happened last time also....Jon and I need to do a better job of scheduling so we do not conflict with things like the Steel Plate shoot!)

So...we are moving the Saturday registrants to Sunday so that there is no conflict.

There are only a few spots left then for Sunday....

We plan on doing this again in October and/or November in Cokato...closer to the metro area.

Ah, scheduling can be a pain! But isn't it neat that there appears to be more and more fun things to do!

pdh
phorvick

Postby farmerj on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:37 am

phorvick wrote:Both FarmerJ and I have had some tentative inquiries for the session on Saturday, but people are rightfully conflicted as there is just too much fun to choose from on the 25th! (This happened last time also....Jon and I need to do a better job of scheduling so we do not conflict with things like the Steel Plate shoot!)

So...we are moving the Saturday registrants to Sunday so that there is no conflict.

There are only a few spots left then for Sunday....

We plan on doing this again in October and/or November in Cokato...closer to the metro area.

Ah, scheduling can be a pain! But isn't it neat that there appears to be more and more fun things to do!

pdh

Ah scheduling....

I will leave it at that.

selurcspi,

let me know when you do your next steel shoot. I'll try to work around you next time.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby phorvick on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:42 am

FarmerJ can correct me if I am wrong...but...it appears the easist and fastest way to the range in Bird Island is to take US#212 west to Bird Island; turn onto #5 (north) at Bird Island and go about 2 miles north...range is on east side of #5. 9:00am is the starting time.

It would be useful to bring...

- clothing appropriate for the weather
- handgun, spare magazines (2+), holster, magazine holder, 500+ rounds of ammunition
- eye/ear protection; perhaps knee pads/blanket for kneeling/prone shooting
- your favorite non-alcoholic drinks; box lunch/snack etc.
- flashlight
- outdoor chair

and a spare Diet Pepsi for me :)
phorvick

Postby farmerj on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:53 am

Phorvick beat me to it but yes.

Coming from the cities:
To avoid the road construction on 212 around the Shakopee area.

Take Hwy 7 to Hutchinson, Take Hwy 15 south to Hwy 212.

Take Hwy 212 West to Bird Island.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby princewally on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:23 am

farmerj wrote:

Find us a range closer to the cities that allows holster work, 35 M distance, as well as shooting while moving with either a pistol, shotgun or a rifle (AR-15 or other variant)....

Have class, will travel.

We can use my backyard. I'm sure that's allowed in St Louis Park. :lol:
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby farmerj on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:44 am

Prince,

I would love to see what the locals would do with 8 guys/gals lined up and doing a rapid magzine dump all day long. :o

Bet the neighbors would love you after that day :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Current moon phase
farmerj

Return to Training