Bill Williams…Old Dude

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Bill Williams…Old Dude

Postby phorvick on Fri May 06, 2022 8:38 am

Many here may recall that years ago Bill Williams and I taught many classes in the area.

Bill Williams passed away today.

Many years ago when I was living up in Minnesota lakes country, I met Bill through our mutual interest in teaching the safe and responsible use of firearms. We were an odd pair, as I suspect that on most other political issues we were polar opposites. But, we made a good team, teaching many classes together and generally having a ton of fun.

In one class, Bill came dressed in full wild west outlaw attire, complete with 1860’s cowboy hat and black waist coat. Now, those that knew Bill know that he was not a big guy…but, that day he asked the class “ What do you see? Am I carrying any guns?” To the surprise of the class, he had about ten guns on him, including a rifle and shotgun. His point, well made, was that things and people are often not what you see them to be; that people have many facets that they might opt to share…or not share.

We all called him the “Old Dude”. At the time I met Bill, he worked at the Hennepin County Government Center in downtown Minneapolis…he was working at the reception/information desk…yes, he was that “old dude” that you first came into contact at the Government Center. An apt name!

Years went by, my family and I moved to Arizona…Bill to New Mexico. We occasionally chatted about getting together…we were not that far from one another…but, life interfered and it never happened. I missed out on that opportunity…it was my loss. RIP Old Dude…you impacted many lives for the better.

Paul Horvick
phorvick@gmail.com
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Bill Williams…Old Dude

Postby minnesotatv on Fri May 06, 2022 12:59 pm

RIP Old Dude.
minnesotatv

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri May 06, 2022 3:51 pm

Never had the honor to meet him, but he sounds like a heck of a guy to have known. Very sorry for your loss. Rest in peace Old Dude.
Holland&Holland

Postby Lumpy on Fri May 06, 2022 7:40 pm

RIP
Lumpy

Postby Rowdy Roddy on Wed May 11, 2022 7:19 pm

My condolences to all who knew and loved Old Dude. I didn't have the pleasure and think I missed out.
Rowdy Roddy

Postby hammAR on Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:08 pm

Happy Trails.............. :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Return to Training