Defensive Pistol Tactics 1 June 7th, So. Metro

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Defensive Pistol Tactics 1 June 7th, So. Metro

Postby Don L on Fri May 02, 2008 9:49 am

Summer must be here! I've got a Defensive Pistol Tactics 1 (The "Holster Class") scheduled for June 7th, So. metro area, starting at 12:00. Basic holster work, reloads, malfunctions, movement, working with partners, and more! If you're new to holster use, or want to practice and improve your draw, here's your opportunity. Cost is $125.00, and that includes the range fee. For more details, or to sign up for the class, contact me here, or at 952-836-1843.

Thanks,

Don
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

Re: Defensive Pistol Tactics 1 June 7th, So. Metro

Postby nyffman on Sun May 25, 2008 10:54 pm

How is enrollment looking for this? If you still have room, sign me up.
our quarrel is not about the value of freedom per se, but stems from our opinion of our fellow men … a man’s admiration of absolute government is proportionate to the contempt he feels for those around him --Alexis de Tocqueville--
nyffman

Postby Don L on Mon May 26, 2008 6:28 am

You're in-one more spot left for the 7th, a few more left for the 28th.
Lots of Other Stuff
Don L

Postby rucker on Mon May 26, 2008 1:20 pm

Does the training cover OWB, IWB, or both types of holsters? I realize the only thing I ever "practice" is drawing from an OWB holster at the steel shoots and similar stuff. My draw from an IWB is a disaster of fumbling around and hoping I got a decent grip on it...

Second, how much ammo is required?
rucker

Postby Don L on Mon May 26, 2008 3:08 pm

An IWB holster is OK, as long as it's strong side, in about the same place your OWB would be for IPSC, etc. I've had shooters bring both, just to work with 'em. If someone wants to work with their particular mode of carry (i.e. pocket holster, etc.), they'll have that opportunity during one of the breaks, one on one with one of the instructors. 300 rounds has been the average, yet I recommend bringing more, just in case. This is a great opportunity for folks to find out just how their gun and gear choices really work!
Lots of Other Stuff
Don L

Postby EAJuggalo on Mon May 26, 2008 7:52 pm

When I went through the class last year I fired somewhere in the neighborhood of 425 rounds.

So Don, when is number 2?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Don L on Mon May 26, 2008 8:18 pm

I put on the Level 2 course last year, and if I remember right, those in attendance had a great time, as well as picked up some new things. If there's interest, I'll get one or two scheduled.
Lots of Other Stuff
Don L

Postby jac714 on Mon May 26, 2008 8:31 pm

Don L wrote:I put on the Level 2 course last year, and if I remember right, those in attendance had a great time, as well as picked up some new things. If there's interest, I'll get one or two scheduled.

Level 3?
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Don L on Tue May 27, 2008 9:01 am

Level 3 is in the works. It'll be interesting!
Lots of Other Stuff
Don L

Postby DeanC on Tue May 27, 2008 9:36 am

Don L wrote:Level 3 is in the works. It'll be interesting!

Drawing from an ankle holster and shooting from a balance beam over a pit of alligators?
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Don L on Tue May 27, 2008 11:43 am

You left out the "support hand only" part.
Lots of Other Stuff
Don L

Postby IDPA Shooter on Wed May 28, 2008 6:41 am

Don L wrote:Summer must be here! I've got a Defensive Pistol Tactics 1 (The "Holster Class") scheduled for June 7th, So. metro area, starting at 12:00. Basic holster work, reloads, malfunctions, movement, working with partners, and more! If you're new to holster use, or want to practice and improve your draw, here's your opportunity. Cost is $125.00, and that includes the range fee. For more details, or to sign up for the class, contact me here, or at 952-836-1843.

Thanks,

Don

Don 's holster training exceeds all IDPA training requirements set by Twin Cities IDPA, LLC and is highly recommended. I have just met Don once and not had the chance to take his classes yet, by our Match Directors and I hear great things about his training. We have also been pleased with the training Bill's provides on their Tactics courses and this boards own jac714 tells me he will be offering holster classes this summer. BTW any NRA instructor certified for Personal Protection Outside the home can provide holster training that meets our training requirement.

My training partner Jon Thompson ( Riverside Sporting Gear) and I do not plan a holster class until this fall.

Don, recent Farnam's Adv Pistol with Shotgun class took most of my training budget but level 3 training sounds like fun!
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby plblark on Fri May 30, 2008 9:27 am

rucker wrote:Does the training cover OWB, IWB, or both types of holsters? I realize the only thing I ever "practice" is drawing from an OWB holster at the steel shoots and similar stuff. My draw from an IWB is a disaster of fumbling around and hoping I got a decent grip on it...

I have nothing to compare the class to but when I took it it was a VERY good use of my time and money. Fun too.
Don starts from the basics, emphasizes safety, and has so many different ways to learn, reinforce, practice, and really absorb the skills that you'll have a blast.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby rtk on Fri May 30, 2008 12:02 pm

plblark wrote:
rucker wrote:Does the training cover OWB, IWB, or both types of holsters? I realize the only thing I ever "practice" is drawing from an OWB holster at the steel shoots and similar stuff. My draw from an IWB is a disaster of fumbling around and hoping I got a decent grip on it...

I have nothing to compare the class to but when I took it it was a VERY good use of my time and money. Fun too.
Don starts from the basics, emphasizes safety, and has so many different ways to learn, reinforce, practice, and really absorb the skills that you'll have a blast.

And don't forget the good natured ribbing that takes place through out the day, which by the way is free of charge ;)

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Don L on Fri May 30, 2008 1:15 pm

That was because of doors, and hats, chairs, and things like that, if I remember right!
Lots of Other Stuff
Don L

Next

Return to Training