Rob Pincus Coming to the Cities

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Rob Pincus Coming to the Cities

Postby cmj685 on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 am

Just a heads up--I was just on Rob Pincus' website looking at his schedule for this year and noted that he is coming to the cities May 9-11 for a "Combat Focus Shooting and Advanced Pistol Handling" course. The link on the website (http://www.imakenews.com/valhalla/e_art ... t,b7KHfj5w) doesn't seem to work for me so I haven't found out any more, but those of you interested in some advanced training may want to pencil it in on your calendars!
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Re: Rob Pincus Coming to the Cities

Postby rtk on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:06 pm

It looks like the cost of the course is $650.00 and that you would need 1700 rounds of ammo. For those of you that have taken classes from some of the big dogs, is this a good price for the class or is it steep?

rtk
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby cobb on Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Not familiar with him and his web site doesn't seem all that informative.

Anyone familiar with his courses?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby princewally on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:05 pm

I had never heard of him, but there was a thread on THR about his DVDs this week. Supposed to be good quality information.
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby westberg on Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:19 pm

He is listed as director of operations at Valhallas Shooting Club at Elk Mountain Resort in Colorado. It looks like a nice place to visit.

http://valhallashootingclub.com/

Ron

After checking out the site more it appears he was DofO at Valhalla until the end of 2007.
westberg

Postby cmj685 on Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:22 am

Yah, he recently wrote Combat Shooting Focus and is/was director at Valhalla in Montrose Colorado, a very prominent shooting facility at a plush resort there where he trained law enforcement and civilians. The resort decided to go a different direction in the future so far as the shooting facility, so he now heads up something called ICE Training. I suspect taking his training on the road is somewhat due to not having the resort facilities anymore though I see that he is still holding many classes in Montrose. Not sure of the entire scenario but I saw a letter from the president of the resort which was very complimentary of him and his training facility there so I think the parting was amicable, and he has quite a good reputation. I wasn't crazy about the book but I have heard many good things about him. Anyone ever taken anything from him personally?
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby Keith on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:46 am

He's been featured on "Personal Defense TV" (or was it Shooting Gallery?) several times, as I recall. That's about all I know of him.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby princewally on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:06 am

Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby westberg on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:17 am

When I first read about Valhaha, his bio was on the website listing his experience and training credentials. If I remember correctly he had a short time in the military and couple of years law enforcement and the rest of his time training. I thought at the time I was reading it he didn't seem to have a lot of street experience for training elite troops. Again that was my thought which don't mean anything in regards to how well he trains. For all I know he may be the best at what he does.

Ron
westberg

Postby phorvick on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:12 am

Rob Pincus is a highly skilled trainer and has very effective teaching skills. He is worth every penny. But, it is not inexpensive training. Class fee, ammo etc..could easily approach $1000.

Now, this is my theory. I normally recommend that a person seeking higher level of training start with local people that you know and trust; there are several on this forum. Take a $100-$200 class and see what you think. Is this something that you really are intersted in pursuing. If so, heck...go for it.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby westberg on Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:50 am

phorvick wrote:Rob Pincus is a highly skilled trainer and has very effective teaching skills. He is worth every penny. But, it is not inexpensive training. Class fee, ammo etc..could easily approach $1000.

Phorvick have you had training by him :?: I'm asking about your bases for the above quote.
Please understand that I'm asking not to disagree with you at all, because as I stated I could not tell you anything about him one way or the other. I would think he had to be good because of the job he had. I also believe you would not have said this if you didn't believe it or it was fact. I also take seriously your recommendations.
My question is based on if I were to pick an instructor or school based on what I read in his bio I would have picked another school. Although I thought that I would like to attend Valhala because of the shooting facility and location. But that doesn't seem like an option now.

Ron
westberg

Postby phorvick on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:19 am

westberg wrote:
phorvick wrote:Rob Pincus is a highly skilled trainer and has very effective teaching skills. He is worth every penny. But, it is not inexpensive training. Class fee, ammo etc..could easily approach $1000.

Phorvick have you had training by him :?: I'm asking about your bases for the above quote.
Please understand that I'm asking not to disagree with you at all, because as I stated I could not tell you anything about him one way or the other. I would think he had to be good because of the job he had. I also believe you would not have said this if you didn't believe it or it was fact. I also take seriously your recommendations.
My question is based on if I were to pick an instructor or school based on what I read in his bio I would have picked another school. Although I thought that I would like to attend Valhala because of the shooting facility and location. But that doesn't seem like an option now.

Ron

Short answer...No, I have not personally attended his classes. I do know some folks that have, that I trust, that have very high regard for him and his work. That being said, let me add more....

I highly recommend classes from Steve Silverman of FR&I (http://f-r-i.com )...I have taken classes from him and also have attended his instructor training (as has FarmerJ). His class was about $400, and about 700 rounds of ammunition. Most of the instructors that are (a) nationally known and (b) go on the road, are very good. What makes them good is the ability to teach and communicate effectively. There is not a huge difference in one defensive shooting class vs. another in actual content. For example, if I am teaching a technique to present the firearm faster, there is not a huge difference in the technique whether I teach it or John Doe teaches it. The difference is in the presentation and communication skills that are used...and I think that I am at least adequate on that!

I have had a chance to see the Pincus DVD's...and I like them. THey show him in action...they show the skills that you would work on at his classes. (I have ordered the series ...I think they make a good refresher for those cold winter nights!)

I know that you know that a person can learn from every class they attend. You go in, adopt what works for you, try the others, and either look into adopting the technique, or perhaps even abandoning it as not workable for you. Pincus classes are the same. Some stuff you will know, some you will try and even embrace, others you may determine does not work for you. Is it worth $XXX to pick up a few tips that are useful? I think it is. Is it worth $XXX to be (effectively) forced to practice for three solid days? I think it is. Is Rob's $600 that much better than Steve's $400 class? How do you quantify that?

Here is my thought...take it for what it is worth. If the "big guns" like Pincus or Ayoob come to Minnesota, saving us travel costs, my advice is to take the class. But....a $1000 is a stretch for most folks. That is why I would not suggest that a person necessarily take that type of class as their first/only advanced class. There are lots of good folks here on this forum that offer seminars/classes on an advanced topic. I would start there. Take one from Don, Jon, Tom...Paul ! Heck, take them all for far less $$$ and see if this is fun for you. (I would never recommend that a person take the classes unless you see it having elements of fun and a personal challenge to improve.)

So, short answer, no, I have not met nor taken a class from Rob. (Although, I am thinking about this one); but, he comes very highly recommended as a communicator and teacher. Whether or not his $600-$1000 class is "worth it" to someone else I really cannot say. Seems to me that if a chance comes to take a class from a good communicator, with generally positively reviewed skills, and if that is in your time and $$ budget, it is at least worth a look.

Remember even Ayoob ...as powerful a name as his is...has many detractors. No one will get 100% positive reviews; heck even I am only at 97.32% :)
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby MsT on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:17 pm

As a Guns & Ammo magazine subscriber, I received in the mail before Christmas the first DVD in a series of defensive handgun training DVDs, I guess. It was about 45 minutes long, and they didn't indicate how long (how many DVDs) the "series" would be ... but I watched it and loaned it out. I thought it was good.
“It is not the things we do in our lives that we regret – it’s the things we don’t do.” (Randy Pausch)

MCPPA Instructor - http://www.TrainingOptionsLLC.com
NRA Instructor
MN DNR Firearms Safety Instructor
Firearms Academy of Seattle Aug. 2008
MsT

Postby westberg on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:22 pm

phorvick, thank you for answering my question. There are a few (really its more then a few) posters on this board who I value their opinions, you being one of them. I'm always looking for opportunity to improve my training, budget being the main factor in what I can attend. I learned from your answer that Rob should be another instructor to keep track of for possible future training.

Ron
westberg

Postby Don L on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:45 pm

Does anyone know where the course will be held? The price seems OK (to me) for a three day course. I'm curious if it's going to be outdoors, or indoors. A while back while he was still at Valhalla, he got great reviews from a couple of the bigger gun mags.
NRA Regional Training Counselor
MN, IL, & Utah Instructor
Lots of Other Stuff
Minnesota Cary Permit Class - MN Carry Permit .com
Don L

Next

Return to Training