Who provides the least expensive carry permit classes?

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Who provides the least expensive carry permit classes?

Postby System7 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:29 pm

I've decided to get my carry permit but when I started looking at all the options for a class/instructer my eyes glazed over.

Price is of primary importance to me. So with that being said, who provides the least expensive classes around the twin cities?

Thanks in advance
System7

Re: Who provides the least expensive carry permit classes?

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 pm

I understand, but I would caution you that there is at least one inexpensive providor that offers classes that are less than informational and just lets say more story tellling/bragging/BS sessions.

So buyer beware, consider quality as part of the selection. I mean whats $20-$30 more to get some real education verse just going throught the motions.

I would also ask you consider if this is your first class(verse a renewal) you really need to understand the legal part of the permit, so shop accordingly.
mmcnx2

Postby Stradawhovious on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:16 pm

System7 wrote:I've decided to get my carry permit but when I started looking at all the options for a class/instructer my eyes glazed over.

Price is of primary importance to me. So with that being said, who provides the least expensive classes around the twin cities?

Thanks in advance

Where are you located? That will certainly help folks give you recommendations.

I agree that it is important to be aware of price, but sometimes you get what you pay for. That said, I also agree that the $200 carry course is ******* ridiculous. There are a few instructors here that I wouldn't take classes from even if they were free, based on testemonial from people who have taken them, and the attitude of the instructors themselves.

There are, however, a large handfull of instructors in the TC metro that offer a comprehensive, informational, well put together class for the $75-$150 range, which isn't overpriced if the class is well put together, and isn't just 4 hours of BS and self promotion.

I have heard very good things from people who's opinion I trust about the classes from Plblark, Ttousi and Paul, and look forward to sitting through each of their classes. My wife took a class from Plblark, and was very happy with it.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Ron Burgundy on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:37 pm

All courses, in theory, should be covering the same material. Think taking accounting 101 at community college and accounting 101 at Harvard (GAAP is GAAP unless it's GAP). The price is representative of what you're getting beyond the bare minimum and the premium for the time of your instructor(s). If you want the bare minimum, go ahead and pay $39.99 and take a class in the corner booth of your local Hardees. If you'd like to learn a little something beyond the bare minimum, I suggest you seek out some of the recommendations from here on the board.

I took my first (and only) course from Paul and Terry (both here on the board) from Blue Line Defense. I'm price sensitive as well and they have reasonable pricing. More importantly, I was interested in hearing from the LEO perspective. They have a presence here on the board so it was pretty easy to see they were good enough peeps.
Ron Burgundy

Postby plblark on Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks Strad. I don't think of my classes as cheap but I like to think they're a great value.
I'm running a BOGO offer on my Aug 12 class at Forest Lake Sportsmen's Club

That makes it ~$65 per person all inclusive.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby bstrawse on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:01 pm

Price isn't relevant - get a good solid instructor. Trust me, they are worth the money.

I'd recommend any of the following:

plblark (who already posted in this thread)
Don Larson
Andrew Rothman
Mark Okern, Paul, Terry, or any of the Blue Line Defense guys
ttousi
cobb
tman

There are others - these are the ones that immediately come to mind. No particular order.
B
Last edited by bstrawse on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Thunder71 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 pm

All I know is the next course I take it will most likely be local, I want that local perspective as not all areas are alike - even in the same state it seems.
Thunder71

Postby tman on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:38 pm

bstrawse wrote:Price isn't relevant - get a good solid instructor. Trust me, they are worth the money.

Don Larson
Andrew Rothman
ttousi
cobb

There are others - these are the ones that immediately come to mind. No particular order.
B

I'm hurt, B. :lol:
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby bstrawse on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 pm

tman wrote:
bstrawse wrote:Price isn't relevant - get a good solid instructor. Trust me, they are worth the money.

Don Larson
Andrew Rothman
ttousi
cobb

B

I'm hurt, B. :lol:

Oh hell, sorry about that. Just re-added you.

I should drink more before posting :)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby tman on Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:47 pm

bstrawse wrote:Oh hell, sorry about that. Just re-added you.

I should drink more before posting :)
B

A gentleman, and a scholar. Well, at least a scholar... ;)
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby System7 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:36 pm

Wow, thanks for all of your responses and recommendations. I'm trying to get this done by the end of the week so I'll look into them. 

I asked the same question to Marty (my investment manager at gunstop) and he recommended jeff king at 315 tactical. I emailed him and he has a $50 class but its not until the end of august which is too long to wait for me.

Looking around I also found plane cents llc that has a $65 class at the end of this week and seems to have decent reviews. 

Imho, these guys are spot on with their class prices.   Any others in this range? 
System7

Postby bstrawse on Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:43 pm

System7 wrote:Wow, thanks for all of your responses and recommendations. I'm trying to get this done by the end of the week so I'll look into them. 

I asked the same question to Marty (my investment manager at gunstop) and he recommended jeff king at 315 tactical. I emailed him and he has a $50 class but its not until the end of august which is too long to wait for me.

Looking around I also found plane cents llc that has a $65 class at the end of this week and seems to have decent reviews. 

Imho, these guys are spot on with their class prices.   Any others in this range? 

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Interesting. So only 3 hours / 30 minutes of class time (8:00am - 11:30am)?

b
bstrawse

Postby goett047 on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Metro Gun Club in Blaine $80. Final Option's Tony Caspers is an awesome instructor
goett047

Postby System7 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 am

Metro gun club looks like a great option! Thanks!
System7

Postby GunClasses.Net on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:15 pm

I'd be skeptical of an instructor who says he charges what he does because he's "that good", or conversely suggests that if you don't pay his price you'll suffer the consequences. Believe it or not, I've been told that, myself, and I didn't book with them. My biggest concern when I take a class is; can the instructor listen and be helpful? If I feel the instructor is arrogant, self-centered, and/or egotistical, no amount of skill matters because it cannot be translated well.

You can take my class for $69 (it's our summer special) or you can take someone else's for $35, or another for $140, but that doesn't mean one's twice as good as the other. Price not proportional to quality, except again maybe in the mind of the instructor who thinks you need to pay more because he is so awesome. Instead of judging quality on price, I would look at the instructor's background for a fit to your needs. First, what skills are you looking to acquire? Next, do some research and call the instructor with any follow up questions to the following (here is a list of questions I have developed)...:

1. How do you know he (or she) has skills (s)he can teach, and how do you know (s)he can teach them?

2. Does (s)he have a professional background in teaching or training?

3. What's his/her education?

4. Does (s)he have experience (either in a job or life experience like competitive shooting, hunting, etc) related to the skills you want to acquire or improve?

5. How well does the instructor communicate? Is the website clean, focused, and clear? Is the instructor articulate?

6. When the instructor teaches the law, does (s)he teach everything directly from the written statutes or does (s)he use second-hand resources or their own notes as documentation?

7. What is the instructor's reputation? What reviews or testimonials can you find that may corroborate your findings?

8. Are you able to contact people who've taken the instructor's courses to ask them what they thought of the class?

9. Does the instructor teach with a respectful attitude? Is humor, if used in class, appropriate? Is there profanity in the course? What about comments regarding race, gender or religion?

10. Does the instructor screen applicants so that you're not in a class or on the shooting line next to someone who should not be taking the course?

11. What has (s)he said publicly you can document?
a. Does the instructor participate in discussions such as MN Gun Talk, USACarry, OpenCarry.org, or Defensivecarry.com?
b. Does the website have a blog?
c. Does the instructor have a facebook page?
d. What's the instructor's network: who does the instructor like?

12. What certifications does the instructor hold (NRA/other)?

13. What does the instructor admit (s)he does NOT know; and how does (s)he recommend you acquire that knowledge or skill (perhaps weapons retention, self defense, legal questions, etc)? To whom does the instructor recommend you see for that?

14. What can the instructor offer you after the class?

These are a lot of questions, and there are a LOT of instructors out there... Kind of like my professors in school, I've seen some great ones, and I've seen some I am not sure should be teaching. Remember, this is training that could save your life and help you avoid legal trouble. Make sure you do your due diligence, and do so thoroughly.

My 2 cents...
-Grant

85% of gun owners have had no formal training. Tell a friend about GunClasses.Net

GUNCLASSES.NET (A division of Practical Training Solutions, LLC)
PO Box 23612 | Minneapolis, MN 55423
612.424.7955 Ext.101
info@gunclasses.net | http://www.gunclasses.net

Follow us:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/GunClasse ... 1906936565
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GunClassesnet
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/company/gunclasses-net
Last edited by GunClasses.Net on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
GunClasses.Net

Next

Return to Training