Who are the good instructors in the NW metro?

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Who are the good instructors in the NW metro?

Postby linksep on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Who would you recommend? I have a group of people mostly living west of 494 and north of 394 that are interested in obtaining MN permits. Please do not answer "Me" if you are an instructor, but do feel free to give positive feedback on someone else. Even better I would love to hear (via PM) which instructors to avoid...( 'cuz I've read enough to know you don't openly bash instructors here).

We are a price conscious group and I believe most people have little to no training or experience... We don't want $49 "No questions asked and no training provided" certificates. We do want ADEQUATE training to be safe & effective for the lowest possible price. I would also guess that most in our group do not have any handguns (yet ;) ) so we'll need loaner/rental guns for the class and/or range test as well.

I would guess most in our group would be fine with a MN permit only, there may be a few that want an additional state (AZ/FL/UT/etc.) to really open up the carry possibilities across the country but that's not an absolute requirement to me and I'm the one gathering intel for the group.

:D
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Re: Who are the good instructors in the NW metro?

Postby tman on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Andrew Rothman teaches in Chanhassen. OK, maybe not quite northwest, but nonetheless...

http://www.mngun.com/
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

Postby linksep on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:52 am

Thanks for the website! That's an additional useful piece of information I neglected to ask for.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby ex-LT on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:40 am

IIRC, princewally teaches in the NW metro. Haven't seen him on here in a while, though.

Another one you might consider are the folks at Blue Line Defense - I think they teach their courses at Bill's in Robbinsdale.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Re: Re: Who are the good instructors in the NW metro?

Postby Terry on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 am

ex-LT wrote:IIRC, princewally teaches in the NW metro. Haven't seen him on here in a while, though.

Another one you might consider are the folks at Blue Line Defense - I think they teach their courses at Bill's in Robbinsdale.

Thanks for the recommendation.

We teach out of Cambridge, Forest Lake, Robbinsdale and Prior lake.

You can see our group rates here: http://bluelinedefense.com/group-permit-to-carry/
Terry

Postby ttousi on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 pm

ex-LT wrote:IIRC, princewally teaches in the NW metro. Haven't seen him on here in a while, though.

yup
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby mrp on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:02 pm

linksep wrote:We are a price conscious group and I believe most people have little to no training or experience... We don't want $49 "No questions asked and no training provided" certificates. We do want ADEQUATE training to be safe & effective for the lowest possible price. I would also guess that most in our group do not have any handguns (yet ;) ) so we'll need loaner/rental guns for the class and/or range test as well.

If they really do want some practical training, it seems like it would make sense to consider starting with an NRA Basic Pistol or similar course before getting a permit. Maybe you can find an instructor willing to give you a package deal with the two classes a few months apart.
mrp

Postby gman1868 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:39 pm

I know these guys, they do a great job.

http://mnguntrain.net/
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby DrFaulken on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:51 pm

If you are interested in fight focused training, I highly recommend Quorum Security. Most of their training courses are published on their Facebook page : http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms

QSI also does permit classes, and you have gotten some other recommendations already.

They do some training during the fall and winter, but most of the dynamic classes are held outside during the spring and summer.
DrFaulken

Postby Vlad on Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 am

I will +1 Blue Line. Very well run class and program.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby plblark on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:48 am

+1 on Metro defense. I've taken Jason and Mike's class as well as helping with range qualifications on occasion.
You might also PM JoeH for a group class. I know he's done them sporadically but don't know how busy his schedule is right now.
I've never taken the Blue Line class but they're well respected and I know most of their instructors. Good guys.

Aside: I wouldn't let geography limit your options for a good class. I know distance and price make it easy to get a group together but carpooling a couple more miles may meet your calendar or open up the instructor options.

Best of luck and good on you for arranging a GOOD class for your group.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Return to Training