Why get AZ/FL non-resident instead of ND?

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Why get AZ/FL non-resident instead of ND?

Postby linksep on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:57 pm

I've been looking at http://www.usacarry.com and it seems MN resident + ND non-resident is equal to MN + FL permits except for the state of FL... Why does FL seem to be the popular non-resident permit state when their permits are $300 and ND permits are only $45?

The only thing I can think of is it appears to me that you actually have to be fingerprinted in a ND police or sheriff's station (or am I reading things wrong)?

If this is the wrong section feel free to move the post.

Thanks!
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Re: Why get AZ/FL non-resident instead of ND?

Postby dismal on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:05 pm

We'll, first Florida non-res permits are only $112, not $300.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/License_Fees.pdf

As I see it, the big advantage to a FL permit is that's the only way a MN resident can carry there. (FL has Disneyland, ND doesn't) FL doesn't accept the MN permit, and they don't accept any non-res permits.
dismal

Postby ttousi on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 am

300 if you are a consular security official...........112 for us normal folks
FINGERPRINTS: The law requires you to submit a COMPLETE AND LEGIBLE SET OF PRINTS. Please read the
instructions pertaining to fingerprint submissions included with this application package. Law enforcement authorities
occasionally find that fingerprints are insufficiently legible for a complete background check. If this occurs with your
fingerprints, we will inform you by letter and request a second fingerprint submission from you.
• PHOTOGRAPH: You must also submit a PASSPORT-TYPE COLOR PHOTOGRAPH. Refer to the photograph instructions
included in this package for details concerning the appearance of the photograph.
• FEES: The total fee for the Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License is $112.00. This total actually consists of two
separate fees:
License Fee: $70.00
Fingerprint Processing Fee: $42.00
IMPORTANT NOTE CONCERNING FEES
• If you had your fingerprints electronically scanned at a local law enforcement agency, you do not need to remit the
$42.00 fingerprint processing fee to the Division. Please refer to the ELECTRONIC FINGERPRINT SUBMISSION
INSTRUCTIONS included with this application package.
If you are a CONSULAR SECURITY OFFICIAL, a $300.00 license fee must be submitted with your application

Source pdf from
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF
AGRICULTURE AND CONSUMER SERVICES
DIVISION OF LICENSING

Thru handgunlaw.us........... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

ETA: it's only 70.00 fee if you submit prints electronically
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby GoBerserk on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 am

I believe you have to apply in-person for a non-resident ND permit. That drives up the cost for some of us.
GoBerserk

Postby cobb on Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:07 am

GoBerserk wrote:I believe you have to apply in-person for a non-resident ND permit. That drives up the cost for some of us.

And the training for an ND permit must be taken in ND. So depending on how far a Minnesota resident is from a ND class/applying and the price of gas today, the cost difference can probably be justified. Also a ND permit is good for 5 years and a Florida permit is good for 7 years
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby linksep on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:29 am

ttousi wrote:300 if you are a consular security official...........112 for us normal folks
If you are a CONSULAR SECURITY OFFICIAL, a $300.00 license fee must be submitted with your application

Source pdf from
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF
AGRICULTURE AND CONSUMER SERVICES
DIVISION OF LICENSING

Thru handgunlaw.us........... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

ETA: it's only 70.00 fee if you submit prints electronically

Thanks everyone, I knew there had to be something I was missing.

@dismal & ttousi: I must have skipped the first half of the quoted bullet point when I was skimming for fees.

@cobb: The training must be done in ND?!? Wow, that's a little extreme! From skimming the ND website I was under the impression that you just had to apply (be fingerprinted) in person (which is still silly but a lot more convenient than training and qualifying in ND... that would make it a really long day or even an overnight stay instead of a 7-8 hour day-trip).
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby cobb on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:53 pm

linksep wrote:@cobb: The training must be done in ND?!?

Towards the top of page 4 under the heading of non-resident issue that starts half way down page 3.\
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northdakota.pdf

There is a note that says.
Note: Training must take place in ND and can not be part of another states training requirements.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby phorvick on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:05 pm

And, if you do the Class 1 session (class, test and range), bring a target gun. It is very common for people to fail the shooting portion if they bring a small carry gun.

I have had several irritating communications from the ND authorities, to the point I was told in writing that I could no longer ask the concealed weapons people any questions. I finally gave up my status as a ND Test Administrator and would never ever suggest that a MN resident get the ND permit. I would not give the State a penny. Get AZ. Covers ND, a gaggle of other States, and it has no additional class requirement once you have your MN permit.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby shadeslanding on Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:11 am

phorvick wrote:And, if you do the Class 1 session (class, test and range), bring a target gun. It is very common for people to fail the shooting portion if they bring a small carry gun.

I have had several irritating communications from the ND authorities, to the point I was told in writing that I could no longer ask the concealed weapons people any questions. I finally gave up my status as a ND Test Administrator and would never ever suggest that a MN resident get the ND permit. I would not give the State a penny. Get AZ. Covers ND, a gaggle of other States, and it has no additional class requirement once you have your MN permit.

I did the same (gave up my ND Test Admin. status) when they first went to "in state" testing. I pushed for an explanation and they told me at the time they did it to get the tourist dollars! Is ND really that small of a state where "tourist dollars" would make a difference? The woman who administered the program at the time had no sense of humor, nor did she appreciate my comments (and laughter) very much.
========
Shade's Landing Inc. FirearmsAndLiberty.com ShadesLanding.com
Home of the ORIGINAL Multistate Carry Course for Minnesota offering multi-state carry courses since 09/2003.
Over 9,000 citizens trained to arms since 2003
========
shadeslanding

Return to Training