Appleseed Marksmanship Clinics - 2013

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Re: Appleseed Marksmanship Clinics - 2013

Postby Erud on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:25 pm

Ahhh, the "Dog" targets. Maybe I'm missing the math somehow, but it looks like there'd only be 200 points possible(40 shots x 5 points each)? How many points do you need to pass?

Do you guys shoot any NRA/CMP Highpower? Seems like a natural next step, if you enjoy this sort of shooting.

Regards,
Erik
Erud

Postby yuppiejr on Wed May 01, 2013 4:48 am

Points on the slow/prone stage are doubled, max of 250.
yuppiejr

Postby Erud on Wed May 01, 2013 9:05 am

Got it, thanks.
Erud

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed May 01, 2013 6:06 pm

AFTERMATH wrote:Anyone planning to go to the Winona this weekend? If so, please sign up ASAP.

Winona(May o4-o5) has been cancelled.... :cry:
RWVA Senior Instructor -- http://www.RWVA.org
AFTERMATH

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed May 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Erud wrote:Ahhh, the "Dog" targets. Maybe I'm missing the math somehow, but it looks like there'd only be 200 points possible(40 shots x 5 points each)? How many points do you need to pass?

Do you guys shoot any NRA/CMP Highpower? Seems like a natural next step, if you enjoy this sort of shooting.

Regards,
Erik

Doh! I thought scoring was on there.

As far as instructors and high power, I believe we have a few that do and/or have. There's been more than a few students who've attended on their path to high power. And you're right it is a natural next step. Actually there are many next steps.
We teach the fundamentals, with the goal of getting every American up to Rifleman standards, an accuracy level of 4 moa from field positions. Figuring there's no real reason anybody can't do it with a rack grade rifle and ball ammunition. Considering our predecessors were known to have made head shots on British officers at distances of 250 yards - With their primitive muzzle loading rifles. Unless they had really big heads, that's about a 2 moa target...

It's a good base-line for just about any sorta shooting discipline - Not only for beginners, but those looking to improve upon and broaden the skills they may already have.

Becoming a Rifleman is just the beginning.
AFTERMATH

Postby Erud on Wed May 01, 2013 8:11 pm

Sounds like a good program. Fundamentals are too often overlooked and IMHO, too many shooters go straight to a bipod and giant scope and never really learn how to shoot. Position shooting and the art of the sling are nearly forgotten, outside of a few small disciplines. Glad to see some of this stuff being taught outside of just HP.

Keep up the good work.
Erud

Postby DoxaPar on Wed May 01, 2013 8:15 pm

I'd really like to get into one of these. Any recommendations on which weekend is not likely to get canceled?

Also, it wasn't clear to me what the rifle requirements are. Is any rifle ok?

Thanks!
DoxaPar

Postby AFTERMATH on Fri May 03, 2013 5:55 pm

DoxaPar wrote:I'd really like to get into one of these. Any recommendations on which weekend is not likely to get canceled?

Also, it wasn't clear to me what the rifle requirements are. Is any rifle ok?

Thanks!

As far as rifle requirements - As long as it's safe, legal, and < 8mm, you're good to go. (There are some out there that are .22lr only due to facilities, but none in Minnesota.)
We advise against the semi-auto .17's; as pretty much everyone of them has been recalled. If you must bring one of those we'll have you sign a waiver.

Generally what folks find the most suitable is a semi-auto with detachable magazines - 10rds are good.

Lever, break and pump actions are probably the most difficult to use because you have to break position every time in seated and prone - But I've seen it done and some have done quite well.

A rifleman's rifle is never as important as the rifleman's knowledge of his rifle.

As per cancellations - I cringe when I read that...
I hate to have to cancel events more than anyone, but unfortunately there are times we don't get enough shooters to cover expenses and or rationalize reservation of a clubs facilities.
Truth be told, the best way to avoid your shoot being cancelled is to bring more folks with you.
But Wells is looking like it might turn out alright. ;)
AFTERMATH

Postby AFTERMATH on Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Erud wrote:Sounds like a good program. Fundamentals are too often overlooked and IMHO, too many shooters go straight to a bipod and giant scope and never really learn how to shoot. Position shooting and the art of the sling are nearly forgotten, outside of a few small disciplines. Glad to see some of this stuff being taught outside of just HP.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, too many people find they can't shoot so they just start adding equipment until they can.
What really enticed me to get to my first one, and subsequently become an instructor is the concept that I could take any rack grade rifle, with iron sights and ball ammo and hit a 20 inch target at 500 yards... I probably wouldn't have gone to any sorta HP clinic/match with the SKS and Wolf ammo I had at the time.

Though, I've gotta be honest here - I've been in the program for almost 5 years and I have yet to try my skills at 500 yards.... 600 yards on an 18inch plate - Sure! But it seems every KD range I've had the opportunity to shoot at only had 400 then 600.

And guys, even if you're expert shots, it doesn't hurt to come to one of our clinics either.
We're always looking for more instructors/volunteers. ;)
AFTERMATH

Postby Erud on Fri May 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Come down to one of our Mid Range Prone matches at North Star Rifle Club. They are shot at 300, 500, and 600. We were supposed to have one this weekend, but the foot of snow on Wednesday night pretty much derailed that plan.

500 is a somewhat rarely-used yardage for most match formats so not a lot of ranges develop it.
Erud

Postby AFTERMATH on Wed May 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Erud wrote:Come down to one of our Mid Range Prone matches at North Star Rifle Club. They are shot at 300, 500, and 600. We were supposed to have one this weekend, but the foot of snow on Wednesday night pretty much derailed that plan.

500 is a somewhat rarely-used yardage for most match formats so not a lot of ranges develop it.

I'll keep my eye out for the next one. 8-)

New location/dates added: Granada(Fairmont) & 2nd Rochester date.
AFTERMATH

Postby AFTERMATH on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:41 pm

As of last night St. Cloud is sold-out -- Will update, if I hear of any cancellations/new openings.

Plenty of room at Alexandria and Hinckley next weekend.
AFTERMATH

Postby bullets on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 pm

I attended both days of the St. Cloud Appleseed with my family this past weekend.
The wife & kids were not all that excited I booked an entire summer weekend to spend at the range rather than one of the local swimming holes, but they soon changed their minds.
By 10am on Sat. morning my wife actually told me she was having fun and blew me a kiss & the kids were even happy to go back Sunday!
Before the weekend, we all had limited rifle shooting experience & even had to borrow a couple 10/22s.
None of us achieved Rifleman status but our improvements were huge.
We went from not hitting the Redcoat paper targets (sights were way off) Sat. morning to consistently shooting nice 5-6 MOA groups.
Along the way to improving our marksmanship, we learned the history of what transpired on April 19, 1775.
We plan to practice what we learned and attend another Appleseed in the future to pass the AQT & get our Rifleman patches.
A BIG thanks to Aftermath & his team of RWVA volunteers (some of whom drove from Wisconsin & near Iowa) and to the Waite Park Rifle Range for providing the range & RSOs.
bullets

Postby AFTERMATH on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:15 pm

bullets wrote:I attended both days of the St. Cloud Appleseed with my family this past weekend.
The wife & kids were not all that excited I booked an entire summer weekend to spend at the range rather than one of the local swimming holes, but they soon changed their minds.
By 10am on Sat. morning my wife actually told me she was having fun and blew me a kiss & the kids were even happy to go back Sunday!
Before the weekend, we all had limited rifle shooting experience & even had to borrow a couple 10/22s.
None of us achieved Rifleman status but our improvements were huge.
We went from not hitting the Redcoat paper targets (sights were way off) Sat. morning to consistently shooting nice 5-6 MOA groups.
Along the way to improving our marksmanship, we learned the history of what transpired on April 19, 1775.
We plan to practice what we learned and attend another Appleseed in the future to pass the AQT & get our Rifleman patches.
A BIG thanks to Aftermath & his team of RWVA volunteers (some of whom drove from Wisconsin & near Iowa) and to the Waite Park Rifle Range for providing the range & RSOs.

Thank you!

Waite Park Rifle Club is a great venue hopefully we can return next year.

A couple updates - The owner/operator of the Kettle River Campground(1 mile from the Hinckley range) has offered a discount for Appleseed attendees - Info is on the event information page, linked in the OP/schedule. The only opportunity left for this year would be the August event - They're closed for the season after that.

Also, there's an Appleseed in Spooner, WI. - Not too far from many Minnesotans - July 27 & 28. I mention this in particular as we'll have a KD component out to 300 yards.... Yeah, yeah, I know 300 yards is point blank range, but hey we'll take what we can get. I'll be running that portion on Sunday. Here's a link to that: http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states- ... tionid=127
AFTERMATH

Postby AFTERMATH on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:27 pm

Schedule updated - Flyer attached to OP.
AFTERMATH

PreviousNext

Return to Training