After action report for A & S Training

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

After action report for A & S Training

Postby westberg on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:10 am

I completed a 1 day Civilian Advance Handgun Course taught by A & S Training on Friday 8/22/08. Course cost $150.00. Lead instructor was David Sohm and President of A & S Training, Pete Dahl and Cabot Welchlin were assistant instructors. The instructors have impressive training and real world experiences that they bring to the class. There were 10 students signed up for the class, 9 attended. According to David this is the first all civilian course he has held and based on the skill level of the students he is interested in holding additional future courses.

I originally heard about this course here http://www.mnguntalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4020 I have been trying to attended as many of the local training venues as time and money allow and there is still more I would like to attend. The intent of this report is to give forum members feedback to the different training options in this area and if a particular course will benefit them. I personally try to take something home from any training I have taken, this is easy starting at a beginners level.

We started the day in the club house at Bald Eagle Sportsman Club with donuts :lol:. The first thing David did was make sure there was no firearms in the classroom, just blue guns and a Air Soft. After introductions by instructors and students we received handouts of the power point and outline of the course. In the classroom we covered handgun safety, range rules for the day, training with reason (the basic point here is you can't train enough or be good enough alway train and challenge yourself), deadly force requirements, 4 point draw from the holster, proper handgun grip, good shooting stance, proper sight alignment, mag changes and malfunctions. A lot of this material was touched on and some of it he went in more detail. David was reading the class to gage the experience of the students on where he focused. I believe we spent about 1.5 hours in the classroom and off to the range.

We were set up on the 100yd range. Again the first thing David confirmed was that there was no loaded firearms and then we geared up. Moving to the firing line David ran us through the firearm clearing and buddy check to confirm the firearms were unloaded, we would perform this through out the day. Then we loaded the firearms and from that point on it was a hot range.

We started with the four point draw from the holster, moving on to the draw and firing at the target, drills for accuracy, timer drills for added stress, malfunction drills and then breaking for lunch. If you have had prior training covering these it was a good refresher and warm up.

The afternoon session we did shooting on the move, side stepping to the right and left, turning right and left, move forward and backward and then the final movement drill was the diamond drill. This was set up with orange cones in the shape of a diamond and we moved around the outside of the diamond pattern always facing the threat with a instructor yelling gun as the command to put two rounds on target. We then completed with a man v man competition on steel drop plates. I needless to say did not take home the trophy. We ended up shooting about 375 rounds for the day, a good round count.

The ratio of instructors to students was very good, if a student needed help they had a instructor to help them work through it, A & S does a excellent job in running a safe range. David is a good communicator and is able to convey what he wants his students to do and why.

Is this a course for you, I think it is a very good first advance or refresher course after your P2C course. It is designed for self defense and not training for IDPA or IPSC. If you have been through Rob Pincus, John Farnam, Defensive Edge or the national schools this is a good refresher course. David mentioned there could be a more advanced course then this one in the future. I have no problem recommending this training company as another option in this area.

There was a couple of other forum members who also attended and maybe they could add their thoughts or if you have additional question about this course please ask.
westberg

Re: After action report for A & S Training

Postby cmj685 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks for the good report, Ron!
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby Rem700 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:13 pm

I cant really think of anything to add as this was my first formal training class outside of P2C so I cannot offer any comparison but did think it was a worth while class. I dont think this would be a class for a person who hasnt had more trigger time then just the P2C, Perhaps some of the other local talents holster classes etc would be a good class before takeing this one, I refer you back to Ron on this. Although this was my first formal class beyond P2C I have a few years shooting, Fireing my first and only IDPA match which was a classifier I managed to rank Marksman just as an idea of where my shooting level is if thats any help. If A&S Training offers this class or a more advanced class time and money permitting I will be signing up with them again.
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby westberg on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Rem700 wrote:I cant really think of anything to add as this was my first formal training class outside of P2C so I cannot offer any comparison but did think it was a worth while class. I dont think this would be a class for a person who hasnt had more trigger time then just the P2C, Perhaps some of the other local talents holster classes etc would be a good class before takeing this one, I refer you back to Ron on this. Although this was my first formal class beyond P2C I have a few years shooting, Fireing my first and only IDPA match which was a classifier I managed to rank Marksman just as an idea of where my shooting level is if thats any help. If A&S Training offers this class or a more advanced class time and money permitting I will be signing up with them again.

I agree with Rem700 that a holster class would be helpful, I'm sure some instructor could attest to the fact that if there is a large gap between the least experienced and the most experienced there is a greater chance someone will not be happy with the class. There is some very good instructors in this area that teach drawing from the holster.
westberg

Postby Rem700 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:47 pm

I believe it was stated that a previous non civilian class spent 1 1/2 hours on load one and shoot and wasnt able to advance to the level that our class did because they spent so much time on basics. So yes having a balanced skill level in the individual class would make the class run well for everyone and make it easier for everyone to gain the most from the class.

Not wanting to wander to far of topic I wish the classes had some kind of guide as to where if your at such and such level take this class or that class is beyond your level etc.

1 basic fire arms/fire arms safety
2 P2C
3 Holster type class
4 Advance
5 Pre requiste number 4
7 Maybe you should be the instructor
8 In your dreams come on nobody is this good. :P
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby ttousi on Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:55 pm

Ron when another one happens please post it. I would be definitely interested in a weekday class like just occurred.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby westberg on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:09 pm

OK, but as far as I'm aware they are few and far between.
westberg

Postby ttousi on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Wait till I see Cabot again :twisted:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby westberg on Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:21 pm

ttousi wrote:Wait till I see Cabot again :twisted:

He would have loved getting a hold of training you in a class.
westberg

Postby Milos on Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:47 am

Dave would love to have another class if there is interest.If we got a dozen people together I bet that would be enough.Anyone interested in tactical rifle?
Milos

Postby westberg on Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:38 pm

Milos wrote:Dave would love to have another class if there is interest.If we got a dozen people together I bet that would be enough.Anyone interested in tactical rifle?

Is there a time frame, like yet this fall or next spring? I'm interested in the rifle also. The only problem for me is my weekends are pretty booked until after hunting season. Weekdays may work.
westberg

Postby rtk on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 pm

Milos wrote:Dave would love to have another class if there is interest.If we got a dozen people together I bet that would be enough.Anyone interested in tactical rifle?

I would be in for one or both.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby David on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:06 pm

David mentioned there could be a more advanced course then this one in the future. I have no problem recommending this training company as another option in this area.

Let us know if this happens! They sound like a good outfit.
David

Postby westberg on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Would it be the same class or more advance drills?
westberg

Return to Training