Competition Pistol Training Oct 19th

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Competition Pistol Training Oct 19th

Postby westberg on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:46 pm

My son Mike has set up a training day with Ben Stoeger, a competition shooter out of Holman, WI. I have attached the info that I know and you can check out his website. Mike has been the one setting it up and he told me when and where I have to be. So if anyone it interested...........

http://www.benstoeger.com/
http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/forum/ ... php?t=1146

I am pleased to announce that I am holding a Competition Pistol class on October 19th. This curriculum for the class was decided by the student that set it up. It will be as follows:

Accuracy

Grip/Stance

Shot Calling

USPSA Techniques (this will consist mostly of specialized movement techniques)

IDPA Techniques (Shooting from and moving into cover)

Stage Breakdown/Analysis

Practice Tips and Techniques

The format of the class will consist of bouncing back and forth between working on technique and then working on accuracy.

This class will be held at Holmen Rod and Gun Club in Holmen Wisconsin. It will start at 9am and go until sundown.

Ronnie Casper will be assisting with the class and range setup.

The cost is $150, with a limit of 8 students. (3 students confirmed as of right now)

Estimated Round Count will be 500-750.

This class is open to anyone who has shot enough IDPA or USPSA to be comfortable in a class environment.

PM or Email me (elbeno007@hotmail.com) for more info, to register, or to setup your own class)
westberg

Re: Competition Pistol Training Oct 19th

Postby gman1868 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:49 pm

Where?
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Stradawhovious on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:51 pm

gman1868 wrote:Where?

Ahem...
This class will be held at Holmen Rod and Gun Club in Holmen Wisconsin. It will start at 9am and go until sundown.

:P
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby ttousi on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:52 pm

MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby westberg on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Here is the link to the club http://www.holmenrodandgunclub.com/
There is a map on the direction page.
westberg

Postby Keith on Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:48 am

Ben is one of THE best shooters in the country. If you want to improve your scores this class will help. If you are interested, don't hesitate.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby westberg on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:16 am

Keith wrote:Ben is one of THE best shooters in the country. If you want to improve your scores this class will help. If you are interested, don't hesitate.

Thanks Keith for the follow up. I really didn't know anything about him until Mike started to research him and ask if he would do a class. This will be his first formal class, if it works for him his prices may go up.

How about you Keith, have you thought about doing any classes?
westberg

Postby Keith on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:08 am

westberg wrote:
Keith wrote:Ben is one of THE best shooters in the country. If you want to improve your scores this class will help. If you are interested, don't hesitate.

Thanks Keith for the follow up. I really didn't know anything about him until Mike started to research him and ask if he would do a class. This will be his first formal class, if it works for him his prices may go up.

How about you Keith, have you thought about doing any classes?

Ben's been stomping our butts into the ground for several years, locally. It's good to see him do so well at national events and be so humble about it. 3rd place, directly behind Dave Sevigny, is pretty darn good. (especially with a Beretta ;) )There is a national title in his near future.

You wouldn't be the first to ask about me putting on a class. First I'd have to figure out how I do it and then be able to communicate that to others. (Not one of my strongpoints) I'm getting better but half the time I feel as if I just go out and run around and shoot. The only formal training I have is from LFI. Everything else I simply learned by doing and watching. Still, I don't feel I am qualified to teach unless I have a GM rating and that ain't happening anytime soon. In fact, after my performance at this years USPSA nationals I am thinking about taking Ben's class and switching to a different platform for a while. :oops: That was embarrasing. A true competitor should have been able to set their personal problems aside and shoot.

Don't be afraid to ask anybody for advice at a match. It's been my experience that some new competitors take it the wrong way if you offer them a little friendly advice so I, and many others, don't give advice unless asked or the shooter is truly struggling. I've asked Jerry Miculek many questions on how to shoot a stage when I've shot with him.
Keith

Postby westberg on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:41 am

Don't be afraid to ask anybody for advice at a match. It's been my experience that some new competitors take it the wrong way if you offer them a little friendly advice so I, and many others, don't give advice unless asked or the shooter is truly struggling. I've asked Jerry Miculek many questions on how to shoot a stage when I've shot with him.

It has been my experience that when asked other competitors don't have a problem offering suggestions. I'm usually hesitant to ask before a stage because I don't want to interrupt their concentration.

I have watched you shoot and compete I think you have a lot to offer. I know I could get some people together, if you do attend Ben's class maybe you could tailor another class for us locally or a practice session of some kind. It may help to get things going if you know the students before hand.
westberg

Postby Keith on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:52 pm

westberg wrote:

It has been my experience that when asked other competitors don't have a problem offering suggestions. I'm usually hesitant to ask before a stage because I don't want to interrupt their concentration.

I have watched you shoot and compete I think you have a lot to offer. I know I could get some people together, if you do attend Ben's class maybe you could tailor another class for us locally or a practice session of some kind. It may help to get things going if you know the students before hand.

Hmm. Looking back at my statement it makes us sound like a bunch of elitists our there not willing to help out new competitors. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pretty much all of the shooters I know will talk your ear off about how to shoot a stage or why they use this particular piece of equipment if you ask them. You just have to ask. But beware, it can be the equal of asking somebody at a car show "whatcha got under the hood." Don't forget that advice is usually free and worth exactly what you paid for it.

As of right now teaching competition classes is about at the bottom of my priority list. I have to get myself back on track.
Keith

Postby hammAR on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:21 pm

Keith wrote:As of right now teaching competition classes is about at the bottom of my priority list. I have to get myself back on track.

Sometimes the quickest path to regaining ones own level is in teaching fundamentals to others................ :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby westberg on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:03 pm

Keith wrote:
westberg wrote:

Hmm. Looking back at my statement it makes us sound like a bunch of elitists our there not willing to help out new competitors. Nothing could be further from the truth. Pretty much all of the shooters I know will talk your ear off about how to shoot a stage or why they use this particular piece of equipment if you ask them. You just have to ask. But beware, it can be the equal of asking somebody at a car show "whatcha got under the hood." Don't forget that advice is usually free and worth exactly what you paid for it.

As of right now teaching competition classes is about at the bottom of my priority list. I have to get myself back on track.

If you change your mind let me know. Hope you can make Ben's class.
Just to be clear to others who maybe considering this class, I have nothing to do with it other then putting up the notice and Mike gave Ben some idea's on area's to cover. If you are interested contact Ben directly.
westberg

Postby gman1868 on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:17 pm

What? Where?

Unfortunately I have another appointment that Sunday that I cannot change :( You sure we can't do it on the 25th or 26th? :) :) :)
gman1868

Postby westberg on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:18 am

I believe Ben came up with the date based on the range schedule and Ronnie Caspers helping him. I will talk with him about coming up here before the start of next season, get the class at the beginning not the end of the season.
westberg

Postby gman1868 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:50 pm

westberg wrote:I believe Ben came up with the date based on the range schedule and Ronnie Caspers helping him. I will talk with him about coming up here before the start of next season, get the class at the beginning not the end of the season.

Sign me up! :)
gman1868

Next

Return to Training