Competition Pistol Training Oct 19th

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Re: Competition Pistol Training Oct 19th

Postby Pinnacle on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:49 pm

westberg wrote:It was a tough day on the XD's, Dawn's XD also went down for good on the last stage. It turns out the trigger bar broke, so it's on trip back to Springfield.

Good job all - looks like you had a good time.

I am a little tired of equipment malfunctions myself.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby ben stoeger on Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I had lots of fun with all of you on Sunday.

There will be more classes to come. 8-)
ben stoeger

Postby rtk on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:11 pm

ben stoeger wrote:Thanks for the kind words guys.

I had lots of fun with all of you on Sunday.

There will be more classes to come. 8-)

Welcome Ben! I am sure that if you offer more classes some of us IDPA hacks will be signing up.

RTK
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby bofe954 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:30 am

I couldn't make this but wanted to. I would definitely go if I could, in the Twin Cities or if it was at Holmen again. I am a member at Oakdale Gun Club and have actually started emailing Ben and OGC about having a class there.

Oakdale doesn't seem real thrilled with the idea. I would have to pay $350 to rent one range and it would be the 25 yard. The upside to the 25 is that it has a roof, so we could go early spring and not worry about rain.

The downsides are:

It's loud.
It is pretty small.
All of Oakdale's ranges have only one berm, you can only really shoot one direction. You can't work many angles.
It has small rocks for a floor. They aren't the most stable footing.

I would have access to props at Oakdale.
*POSSIBLY* I could borrow a prop or two if the class were held somewhere else.

I also have to email the club pres to get permission for the rental, and probably go to a board meeting which will mean a evening off work for me. They may just tell me to F off. I am going to pursue it to some extent, just because if they won't grant me permission I want to know, and I may start looking for other clubs to join. Honestly though, I am not even sure if the range we would be allowed to use is suitable.

Please let me know if the class pops up elsewhere, I'd love to go.

Mike B
bofe954

Postby ben stoeger on Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:22 pm

bofe954 wrote:I couldn't make this but wanted to. I would definitely go if I could, in the Twin Cities or if it was at Holmen again. I am a member at Oakdale Gun Club and have actually started emailing Ben and OGC about having a class there.

Oakdale doesn't seem real thrilled with the idea. I would have to pay $350 to rent one range and it would be the 25 yard. The upside to the 25 is that it has a roof, so we could go early spring and not worry about rain.

The downsides are:

It's loud.
It is pretty small.
All of Oakdale's ranges have only one berm, you can only really shoot one direction. You can't work many angles.

I also have to email the club pres to get permission for the rental, and probably go to a board meeting which will mean a evening off work for me. They may just tell me to F off. I am going to pursue it to some extent, just because if they won't grant me permission I want to know, and I may start looking for other clubs to join. Honestly though, I am not even sure if the range we would be allowed to use is suitable.

Mike B

There for sure will be more classes. Right now we are planning a 2 day class. The second day would be 8-10 stages (kind of like a section match). I am also thinking of doing more of the one day classes, but I would like to divide up IDPA and USPSA so we don't have people getting confused.

Holmen obviously is an awesome place to do it. I have access to enough props to run a nationals and 10 bays. I am fine with doing it wherever, so long as the range can do the job for us.

If there are any days in particular that work for you (or a group of you), let me know and we can set it up.

Later,
Ben
ben stoeger

Postby westberg on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:57 am

ben stoeger wrote:
bofe954 wrote:I couldn't make this but wanted to. I would definitely go if I could, in the Twin Cities or if it was at Holmen again. I am a member at Oakdale Gun Club and have actually started emailing Ben and OGC about having a class there.

The downsides are:

It's loud.
It is pretty small.

Mike B

There for sure will be more classes. Right now we are planning a 2 day class. The second day would be 8-10 stages (kind of like a section match). I am also thinking of doing more of the one day classes, but I would like to divide up IDPA and USPSA so we don't have people getting confused.

Holmen obviously is an awesome place to do it. I have access to enough props to run a nationals and 10 bays. I am fine with doing it wherever, so long as the range can do the job for us.

If there are any days in particular that work for you (or a group of you), let me know and we can set it up.

Later,
Ben

I have also started looking for a possible range to hold a class in the area. I agree with Ben after seeing Holmen it has everything needed for the two day. Ben are you thinking this would be sometime next spring or early summer?

As far as holding a class up here, I had no problem with the structure of the last class, but we may need some local club help and they may want to see the class geared toward their respective sport IDPA or USPSA.
westberg

Postby bofe954 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11 am

One day would be easier for me to make than 2, but I'd do 2 if I could. I mainly just need enough advance notice to get the time off work.

A goal of mine for next year is to hit the SS classic, it would be nice if it was before that, but that would make it pretty early spring.

I am not real concerned about IDPA vs USPSA. I think they share enough that mixing wouldn't hurt learning for me, but I am a C class shooter. I am thinking hard about joining IDPA anyway just for the opportunity to shoot more matches...
bofe954

Postby cmj685 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:25 am

I'm a little late to the party, but I would be interested in a local class as well. For a two-day class, Thursday and Friday, or Friday and Saturday might work better for me.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Postby ben stoeger on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:11 pm

I am thinking that April would be a good time to hold a 2 day class.

I am fully expecting to schedule more than one class for next year. If you guys just want to get an idea of what you want to do, we can work out a schedule that works for everyone.

Holmen sets its schedule in December, so I cant say an exact date for that range until then. If any other range becomes available, then we can look at that.
ben stoeger

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:21 pm

What about on of the local USPSA clubs like St Cloud, they might be interested as a service to their members, they might ask for first dib on a few slots for use of the range.
mmcnx2

Postby xdyoungw on Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Just a thought for some of you folks thinking about taking Ben's class. Ben has a website(benstoeger.com) where he post articles written by himself and from question forum members ask. There is a lot of great information that can be used for USPSA and IDPA. After sending some time on his forum tonight, I personally wish I would have read the articles before the class and applied the information during his class. This is also great information for anyone trying to find ways to take their shooting to the next level.
xdyoungw

Postby Keith on Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:14 am

mmcnx2 wrote:What about on of the local USPSA clubs like St Cloud, they might be interested as a service to their members, they might ask for first dib on a few slots for use of the range.

The only problem with SCAPSA is that we can't shoot two days in a row and are pretty limited to the hours we can shoot. We can only shoot Tuesdays noon to 9:00 pm and Saturdays 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Previous

Return to Training