Looking for a Women's Basic Pistol type of class

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Looking for a Women's Basic Pistol type of class

Postby Erud on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:12 am

For my wife and a friend of hers. Not looking for a PTC class, more of a handgun basics sort of class with a combination of classroom and shooting instruction. I have taken her to shoot handguns with me, but I am more of a rifle guy, and not much of a teacher. I think she'd learn more with someone who knows how to teach, and she would probably do better with a female instructor. She also has a friend that would like to do the same thing. Anyone offering this type of class locally?

Thanks,
Erik
Erud

Re: Looking for a Women's Basic Pistol type of class

Postby cobb on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:30 am

I know a bit far, but I am doing a NRA FIRST Steps class at Vantage Point Range in Kasota on 11 October.

11 October (Sunday) - Vantage Point Shooting Range, Kasota, Minnesota
Please contact Vantage Point Range @ 507-931-4867 to sign up for this course.
Vantage Point Range is open Thursday & Friday noon to 7 pm, Saturday 10 am to 6 pm and Sunday noon to 5 pm.
Course is approximately 4-5 hours depending on number attending and start time is 9 am.
Cost - $75.00 per person
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Ivan45 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:54 am

Bill's offers a ladies basic handgun course at all locations.
Ivan45

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:15 am

I do a fair amount of handgun instruction at a few local ranges when they need help at events or I'm demoing guns for manufacturers.

I typically start with basic safety, grip, stance, sight picture and handgun overview. Then move to the range, start them with a 22 and if things go well move them to a 9 and if they are comfortable let them try a few other handguns.

Women, in my experience, are typically much easier to instruct (they actually listen) and are more respective to coaching.

I've brought my daughter and/or wife along a number of times to give them a comfortable peer on the range.

I'd do it for free to get them started and then if they wanted something more formal and in depth they would have a little experience to know what to expect.
mmcnx2

Postby usnret on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:26 am

Look for an NRA sponsered event called "Women on Target". It should take care of all of her needs.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:50 am

This topic has come up with my GF this weekend and she mentioned that she would probably be interested in going with a friend or two. If this gains any steam, please let me know so I can pass it along. She is in medical sales, so her day (and sometimes night) brings her to some fairly unsavory places as some of the hospitals and clinics are in questionable areas, so I would definitely feel better if she was familiar with and eventually carried. I am hoping she isn't just blowing smoke. I, too, would rather she learn from a professional.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby my1stpistol on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Most ranges that do instruction offer some type of womens only shooting classes. What is the general area you are looking?

https://www.billsgs.com/training/bills-classes

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk
my1stpistol

Postby ttousi on Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:47 pm

contact wrench or sawgrass through this forum as they do basic intro classes at OGC. They fit your criteria as they are female instructors who do an excellent job
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Erud on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:07 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ttousi, I will look them up. I knew there was one or more women on the forum that taught women's classes, but couldn't remember who it was. Thanks!

Erik
Erud

Postby Kelor on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:20 pm

Osseo has ladies night and it's very well attended. I believe it includes instruction for those that want it.
Kelor

Postby wrench on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:36 pm

I have an 'Intro to Handguns' class on the schedule at Oakdale Gun Club on Sunday, September 20, from 1-5pm.
Includes safety instruction, handgun basics, grip/stance/sight picture etc, and sooooo much more. Also includes live fire on the range.
Shoot me a PM or email if you are interested in more info:)
Female instructor, female only class.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Erud on Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:31 am

wrench wrote:I have an 'Intro to Handguns' class on the schedule at Oakdale Gun Club on Sunday, September 20, from 1-5pm.
Includes safety instruction, handgun basics, grip/stance/sight picture etc, and sooooo much more. Also includes live fire on the range.
Shoot me a PM or email if you are interested in more info:)
Female instructor, female only class.

Thanks Wrench, that sounds like exactly what she's looking for. I'll shoot you a PM.
Erud

Postby MN PTCT on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:49 am

Hudson Rod, Gun and Archery Club has an NRA Women on Target class this month. Wednesday, 9/23 evening is classroom and Saturday 9/26 is a day on the range. It's all .22 pistol and rifle for beginner women shooters. Lots of hands on instruction and shooting. $35.00 includes use of firearms, ammo, eye and ear protection and instruction.

http://www.hudsongunclub.com/WOT.php
MN PTCT

Postby rottenit on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:52 pm

I have a ladies only NRA basic pistol class near Mankato on the 26th
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Return to Training