Looking for cheap online permit renewal

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Re: Looking for cheap online permit renewal

Postby BigBlue on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:58 am

xd ED wrote:The paperwork is provided by the state of Florida, free of charge. I think the state views it as a profit center.
https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License
For some reason FLA permits are issued by their Dept of Agriculture.
Not a bad thing your trainer did, as long as they didn't build it up as an extra to charge more for it.
If you do apply for FLA permit, expect the process to take the full amount of time they suggest.
Mine was mailed 90 days to the day I applied.

I got passport photos from Wallgren's, and took the fingerprint cards to the Ramsey County Sheriff Office.

Understood, but what they did was a great convenience. And they didn't charge anything more for it, as I said. That part was truly value-add.

I'm wondering if I can print my own 'passport' photo based on standard sizing specs. Any ideas on that?

Also, I did remember one of the other things they got wrong in training... preemption. They talked about carrying long guns in public and mentioned the St. Cloud incident (saying "carry is allowed but not advised", as one would expect) but then went on to say St. Cloud passed a law against it and that other cities could ban long gun carry.

BB
BigBlue

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 am

BigBlue wrote:
Understood, but what they did was a great convenience. And they didn't charge anything more for it, as I said. That part was truly value-add.

I'm wondering if I can print my own 'passport' photo based on standard sizing specs. Any ideas on that?

Also, I did remember one of the other things they got wrong in training... preemption. They talked about carrying long guns in public and mentioned the St. Cloud incident (saying "carry is allowed but not advised", as one would expect) but then went on to say St. Cloud passed a law against it and that other cities could ban long gun carry.

BB

There are specific instructions, and specifications for the photo, which appear to be similar to a passport photo (passport app allows a 6 month old photo; FLA 30 days):
I've attempted to post a screen shot of the top of page 7 of the linked instructions.

FLORIDA CONCEALED WEAPON OR FIREARM LICENSE Application Instructions

Both times (passport, and FLA permit) I've had photos done at Walgreens...or maybe CVS, the clerk was well versed on the computer software that creates a regulation photo.
Given the BS that would be involved in a rejected photo/ app, I would not risk it....costs about $15/ 10 minutes

CVS has a #2 discount coupon... https://www.cvs.com/photo/passport-photos?gclid=CKDI5K_7tNoCFV6VxQIdgbYFqg&gclsrc=ds

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 09.27.10.png
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigBlue on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for the info on the photos and the coupon link. I think I could easily print my own pics with those specs but for $13 I may just pay to avoid possible hassles.

BB
BigBlue

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:00 am

Erud wrote:I went with this:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/twin-cities-carry

$44 including range time. Sweet.

Interesting.

One of the locations they list is Burnsville Pistol Range.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:09 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Erud wrote:I went with this:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/twin-cities-carry

$44 including range time. Sweet.

Interesting.

One of the locations they list is Burnsville Pistol Range.

Yep, that’s where I’ll be going.
Erud

Postby Ironbear on Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:44 pm

BigBlue wrote:Thanks for the info on the photos and the coupon link. I think I could easily print my own pics with those specs but for $13 I may just pay to avoid possible hassles.
BB

I've printed actual passport photos for myself and family a couple times now. Since they are 2"x 2"... I figure out the framing, crop the images square, and tile them 2x3 into a single image. Printing them on a 4"x 6" gets you tiled 2"x 2" photos. Cost me a little time and 23¢.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Erud on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Ok, the online part is done. It was fine. Took about an hour and a half and covered the basic stuff. Scheduling the shooting test was easy and there were plenty of dates and locations to choose from.

I'd definitely do it this way again over any of my previous "real-life" permit classes.
Erud

Postby Back In Black on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:35 pm

Stay away from Nationalcarryacademy.com. Read my review in a separate post.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=59674
Keith
Back In Black

Postby Erud on Wed May 02, 2018 3:19 pm

Ok, final update. The shooting qualification was today at noon. They schedule a bunch of people for a block of time, which makes sense. I got there at 11:45, which was the same time the instructor got there. I was the 4th one there of about 10 total, so I shot 4th. I shot a quick 100% target with my trusty Glock 27 (I’m not a millennial, so I can handle the .40 S&W) and was out the door with certificate in hand by 12:15. Total cost for everything was $44.

I rate this experience a 9/10*. No complaints whatsoever, and I will definitely go this route again in 5 years if I’m still alive and they are still in business, and will recommend them to anyone who asks my opinion.

Good job, Twin Cities Carry Academy!

* For reference, the only way I would award a perfect 10 to a class would be if they just gave me the certificate without me having to actually do anything.
Erud

Postby nhluke on Thu May 03, 2018 4:38 pm

Thanks for the update. Did you wear a shooting jacket or utilize a sling? I was looking for a similar deal on my 2 renewal but ended up spending 4x that. A fool and his.......
nhluke

Postby Erud on Thu May 03, 2018 4:43 pm

nhluke wrote:Thanks for the update. Did you wear a shooting jacket or utilize a sling? I was looking for a similar deal on my 2 renewal but ended up spending 4x that. A fool and his.......

I didn't even wear a shirt.
Erud

Postby Ghost on Thu May 03, 2018 5:01 pm

Erud wrote:
nhluke wrote:Thanks for the update. Did you wear a shooting jacket or utilize a sling? I was looking for a similar deal on my 2 renewal but ended up spending 4x that. A fool and his.......

I didn't even wear a shirt.

Been to a Waffle House lately?

Ghost

Postby Erud on Thu May 03, 2018 5:05 pm

Maybe I have, maybe I haven't.
Erud

Postby Ghost on Thu May 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Erud wrote:Maybe I have, maybe I haven't.

Ghost

Previous

Return to Training