Looking for cheap online permit renewal

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Looking for cheap online permit renewal

Postby Erud on Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:49 pm

My permit is due up in June. I have had a permit for 15 years, and my only desire is to jump through the government-mandated legal hoops as cheaply and easily as possible. Anyone know a decent online course that meets my criteria? I understand that I will need to do a range qualification separately.

Thanks,
Erik
Erud

Re: Looking for cheap online permit renewal

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:05 pm

Also interested in this. I did my last renewal at Gander lakeville for speed and ease but that doesn’t seem to be an option and mine is due in Oct.
Ghost

Postby BigBlue on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Next time I'm going this route too. I just completed my class for a renewal (4th time I've taken a carry class). Though the instructors were nice, pleasant, relatively competent and easy to follow, I wasn't overly impressed. There were various places the instructors said things that had me rolling my eyes (brandishing) and a couple where they were outright wrong. I had to correct them (outside of the classroom) about the fact that we no longer need to send a letter to carry at the capitol. I got nothing useful out of the class beyond the certificate. It wasn't too expensive ($75) and I did get the Florida stuff so there's that.

I had tried to find a class that might offer 'extra' info on things like more in-depth discussion of self-defense issues or such but out here in the middle of MN there aren't too many choices. I didn't want to come into the metro for one.

BB
BigBlue

Postby xd ED on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:58 pm

BigBlue wrote:Next time I'm going this route too. I just completed my class for a renewal (4th time I've taken a carry class). Though the instructors were nice, pleasant, relatively competent and easy to follow, I wasn't overly impressed. There were various places the instructors said things that had me rolling my eyes (brandishing) and a couple where they were outright wrong. I had to correct them (outside of the classroom) about the fact that we no longer need to send a letter to carry at the capitol. I got nothing useful out of the class beyond the certificate. It wasn't too expensive ($75) and I did get the Florida stuff so there's that.

I had tried to find a class that might offer 'extra' info on things like more in-depth discussion of self-defense issues or such but out here in the middle of MN there aren't too many choices. I didn't want to come into the metro for one.

BB

A minor point:
There's is nothing needed for a FLA permit that acceptable MN training does not provide. A training cert from any approved MN course will suffice.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby rtk on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm

Think globally, shop locally...there are some great instructors on our board, give them the business.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby Erud on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:30 pm

rtk wrote:Think globally, shop locally...there are some great instructors on our board, give them the business.

I sure they’re great, but they aren’t going to be as cheap or easy as the internet. I’ve taken the class 3 times already, just so the State of MN will allow me to exercise my constitutional right. I understand the law, and I already know how to shoot. I just need the certificate, I’m not looking for anything beyond that.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Erud wrote:
rtk wrote:Think globally, shop locally...there are some great instructors on our board, give them the business.

I sure they’re great, but they aren’t going to be as cheap or easy as the internet. I’ve taken the class 3 times already, just so the State of MN will allow me to exercise my constitutional right. I understand the law, and I already know how to shoot. I just need the certificate, I’m not looking for anything beyond that.

Curious on the economics. I have to think that if an online class is still say $30 - 50 and you have to pay an instructor for a range trip you still have to be between 70 and 100? I know local instructors that are at that price point. Maybe the classes on line are $3.99 now?
Holland&Holland

Postby Erud on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:51 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Erud wrote:

Curious on the economics. I have to think that if an online class is still say $30 - 50 and you have to pay an instructor for a range trip you still have to be between 70 and 100? I know local instructors that are at that price point. Maybe the classes on line are $3.99 now?

I don’t know yet, that’s why I’m asking. The economics of time are also involved. I am not interested in sitting in a classroom, clubhouse, etc, for 6 hours, like I’ve done the 3 previous times. Cheap and easy.
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:42 am

Erud wrote:
I don’t know yet, that’s why I’m asking. The economics of time are also involved. I am not interested in sitting in a classroom, clubhouse, etc, for 6 hours, like I’ve done the 3 previous times. Cheap and easy.

Sure, I get that, and am not debating in anyway, more curious on what you find. The last live one I did as a renewal was quick and easy, and only 3 hours of commitment including range time.
Holland&Holland

Postby BigBlue on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 am

xd ED wrote:A minor point:
There's is nothing needed for a FLA permit that acceptable MN training does not provide. A training cert from any approved MN course will suffice.

They did extra for the participants that wanted FL permit... Provided the full set of FL docs, application, instructions, fingerprint card, and spend 10+ minutes going through it all. And a 'special' cert including their NRA number, which they said usually is not put on MN certs. Plus it was no extra cost.
BigBlue

Postby Erud on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:08 am

I went with this:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/twin-cities-carry

$44 including range time. Sweet.
Erud

Postby MJY65 on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:15 am

This is a timely discussion for me. Like you, I don't relish the thought of spending a day "reviewing" what we've been taught half a dozen times before and can be read from a website in 15 minutes.

Who does range testing without a class? That might be the tricky part.
MJY65

Postby westhope on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:32 am

Erud wrote:I went with this:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/twin-cities-carry

$44 including range time. Sweet.

Please give a review when you complete this. Thanks.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby xd ED on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:42 am

BigBlue wrote:
xd ED wrote:A minor point:

They did extra for the participants that wanted FL permit... Provided the full set of FL docs, application, instructions, fingerprint card, and spend 10+ minutes going through it all. And a 'special' cert including their NRA number, which they said usually is not put on MN certs. Plus it was no extra cost.

The paperwork is provided by the state of Florida, free of charge. I think the state views it as a profit center.
https://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License
For some reason FLA permits are issued by their Dept of Agriculture.
Not a bad thing your trainer did, as long as they didn't build it up as an extra to charge more for it.
If you do apply for FLA permit, expect the process to take the full amount of time they suggest.
Mine was mailed 90 days to the day I applied.

I got passport photos from Wallgren's, and took the fingerprint cards to the Ramsey County Sheriff Office.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:50 am

MJY65 wrote:This is a timely discussion for me. Like you, I don't relish the thought of spending a day "reviewing" what we've been taught half a dozen times before and can be read from a website in 15 minutes.

Who does range testing without a class? That might be the tricky part.

After you do the online course, you just have ti schedule to meet with one of their "instructors" at a local range. I saw a couple of people doing this at BPR last time I was in there to pick up a transfer. My work schedule is pretty flexible, so that part should be fairly painless. The online part is supposed to take 90 or 120 minutes, I can't remember which as I looked at a few different ones before buying one.
Erud

Next

Return to Training