Out of Town Trainers

Instructors can post their training and permit class info

Out of Town Trainers

Postby Drizzle on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:58 pm

You used to be able to find when people were bringing in out of town trainers for classes here, such as ECQC, Ayoob's MAG20, etc. Haven't seen any in a while; is there just less traveling trainers, are they coming here less, or just being advertised on here less?

I'd like to find some classes without traveling, which makes it more expensive, and, no offense to local trainers, there's some out of towners I'd like to take classes from. I heard from Greg Ellifritz he was coming to the area, but haven't heard more.

Of course, COVID and the general unrest have something to do with things, I'm sure. All responses appreciated, so I don't have to dig through the Google for classes.
Drizzle

Re: Out of Town Trainers

Postby azonesolutions on Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:21 pm

I attempted to contact a number of the larger twin cities ranges in order to use their ranges for some of these top tier traveling trainers. Apparently most of these have all the knowledge they need as most of them would not even respond to emails. I ended up using Ahlman's.
azonesolutions

Postby minnesotatv on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:31 pm

Drizzle wrote:You used to be able to find when people were bringing in out of town trainers for classes here, such as ECQC, Ayoob's MAG20, etc. Haven't seen any in a while; is there just less traveling trainers, are they coming here less, or just being advertised on here less?

I'd like to find some classes without traveling, which makes it more expensive, and, no offense to local trainers, there's some out of towners I'd like to take classes from. I heard from Greg Ellifritz he was coming to the area, but haven't heard more.

Of course, COVID and the general unrest have something to do with things, I'm sure. All responses appreciated, so I don't have to dig through the Google for classes.

I think Rolf at 1Defense is bringing in John Farnum again.
You should contact him and see what he has going.
https://www.onedefense.net/
minnesotatv

Postby VMAX97 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:51 am

Drizzle wrote:You used to be able to find when people were bringing in out of town trainers for classes here, such as ECQC, Ayoob's MAG20, etc. Haven't seen any in a while; is there just less traveling trainers, are they coming here less, or just being advertised on here less?

I would also like to see some local classes so I do not have to travel. Something like the 3 day long range shooting class in Harris but for less than $1000. I think some of our local long range shooters could put on a class that would benefit beginner and intermediate shooters.

I would like to see classes on estimating wind affect at 1000 yards, go over hold over examples, even talk about hand loading as well.

So talk to the local experts about a two day class. Somewhere in the $200 to $500 dollar range.

Theory, Mindset, Skillset, and Equipment need to achieve precision & accuracy at long range.
Fundamentals of Marksmanship (Body Position, Natural Point of Aim, Trigger Control, Breath Control)
How to mount, level and torque your rifle scope & bubble level for proper fit and eye relief
How to Zero your rifle and perform a tracking test
How to set up and use a ballistics application to generate elevation & windage adjustment to 1000 yards +
Day 1 will be mostly classroom with some limited range time, Day 2 will be 100% shooting.
By the end of the course, students will be able to effectively engage targets to at least 1000 yards on their own with no coaching.
VMAX97

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:43 pm

VMAX97 wrote:I would also like to see some local classes so I do not have to travel. Something like the 3 day long range shooting class in Harris but for less than $1000. I think some of our local long range shooters could put on a class that would benefit beginner and intermediate shooters.

I would like to see classes on estimating wind affect at 1000 yards, go over hold over examples, even talk about hand loading as well.

So talk to the local experts about a two day class. Somewhere in the $200 to $500 dollar range.

I don't mean to derail this thread, or put you on the spot, but I'm genuinely curious.

Why not come out and practice with the competitive shooters? There's plenty of opportunities. Highpower, F-Class, Benchrest and Tactical.

Most competitive shooters I've crossed paths with are more than happy helping out new and intermediate shooters.

Again, not trying to put on the spot, just genuinely curious.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby VMAX97 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:02 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
VMAX97 wrote:I would also like to see some local classes so I do not have to travel. Something like the 3 day long range shooting class in Harris but for less than $1000. I think some of our local long range shooters could put on a class that would benefit beginner and intermediate shooters.

I don't mean to derail this thread, or put you on the spot, but I'm genuinely curious.

Why not come out and practice with the competitive shooters? There's plenty of opportunities. Highpower, F-Class, Benchrest and Tactical.

Most competitive shooters I've crossed paths with are more than happy helping out new and intermediate shooters.

Again, not trying to put on the spot, just genuinely curious.

I have done that as well, just looking for other options to gain more knowledge. I am proficient at 600 yards and had an opportunity to shoot at 900 yards in Rush City but even reading the wind at 600 yards is problematic and its more than just the need for practice, its having a more knowledgeable shooter to help me get to the next level. There is so much mixed info regarding neck tension and neck turning, bullet seating techniques and I am certain there are things I have not even thought about that may need my attention.
VMAX97

Postby xd ED on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:38 pm

I would reiterate what Rip posted.
Most clubs are not currently broadcasting on the internet any activities that might taking place.
I'm not up on what's currently happening at Red Wing,
While I'm not sure if it's currently open to non-club members, in years past Elk River has had a Monday night 600 yd F Class league.
I participated for several years. I learned as much about competition reloading in the Elk River American Legion over beers and burgers as anywhere.
Many national class shooters at that club.
You'd have to check with the club to see what's happening this year.

Likewise the club in Harris has had weeknight practice sessions from 600-1000 yards. More sling oriented than Elk River, but a good mix of all disciplines, with several national team, and national class sling shooters regularly in attendance.
Again, not sure what's going on due to current conditions, but you could check out the club's schedule.

There was a seminar held at Harris last year I believe; they brought in John Galle(sp?) for a 2-3 day session.
There are plenty of resources on the ground locally.
Show up. Ask intelligent questions and be prepared for the proverbial 'drinking from a fire hose'.
Any club that is holding matches, or leagues would be a good place to check out. Nothing wrong with showing up to observe, but being prepared to shoot is much more fun.
In my experience, one can be taught reloading, and you can take an academic approach to wind reading, but the best way to learn about the wind is to pull the trigger, and observe what happens to the bullet.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby gman1868 on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Yes, One Defense is hosting John Farnam, July 25-26 at Ahlman's.

Low Light Shooting, Handgun and Rifle in Morristown, MN. Register here: https://defense-training.com/store/DTI-Low-Light-Shooting-Handgun-and-Rifle/. This course is designed for Advanced students only.

A majority of Armed encounters occur in low light. This advanced course teaches much more than the fundamentals of move and shoot, it teaches effective tactics and demands precision shooting in order to end the attack without shooting innocent bystanders in low light conditions. You will participate in a variety of scenarios to prepare you for home defense, vehicle defense, active killer, and terrorist response. This advanced course is for individuals that have attended the appropriate defensive handgun and defensive rifle courses. To attend, you must meet the prerequisite requirements. The pre-requisites are Defensive Handgun and Defensive Rifle from John Farnam, One Defense, or QSI Training. Please contact rolf@onedefense.net to determine if you are eligible.

Agenda
Overall - Sat 12p-10:00p, Sun 12p-10p. Dinner (not provided) on site. Friday dinner, 5:30p @ The Depot in Faribault (Instructors and Students Only)

SATURDAY July 25th - Handgun
• Introductions
• Gun Handling Evaluation
• Summary of terrorist threats and the effective countermeasures or gun handling review for those that are not prepared
• Pistol drills
• Scenarios
• Low Light skills and scenarios

SUNDAY July 26th - Rifle
• Review
• Gun Handling Evaluation
• Rifle drills
• Scenarios
• Low Light skills and scenarios
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Drizzle on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:27 am

Thanks for bringing him to town. Unfortunately I have pretty unbreakable family plans that weekend. My fault, not yours.

The long range rifle stuff is out of my lane, so I'll leave you guys to that.

I hope to be able to take more two day local courses in the future.
Drizzle

Return to Training