Other events and get togethers

“Operation Christmas Stocking!”

Postby hammAR on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:29 pm

I'm passing this along... :hartman:

2/6 Chaplain Dave Mowbray
9/8/2010
Marjah, Afghanistan

Greetings from sunny Afghanistan ! It’s that time once again! Time for “Operation Christmas Stocking!”

Every fall, I begin collecting Christmas stockings to hand out to my Marines and Sailors, so they can have a little Christmas joy while they are away from home. I didn’t do the drive last year, since we were only deployed to exotic North Carolina . However this year finds 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment in far-off Afghanistan , and your donations would really brighten a young service member’s day!

In case you haven’t done this before, it’s pretty easy. My goal is to give everyone in my battalion a stocking on Christmas Day—plain and simple. To do that, I need your help. Here are the items I need from folks like you to make this a success:

-Christmas stockings (12-18 inches long, and feel free to decorate and/or write your name/message on either the inside or outside)
-Pre-lit Christmas Trees (2-4 feet high, cheap ones are fine. These will be used in the various posts and bases around Marjeh)
-Christmas related candy, candy canes, small toys and similar items. The more “Christmasy” or silly the better.

No need to stuff the stockings, I’ll take all donations, plus the goodies we normally get, and try to make everything as equal as I can for everyone. Just use common sense on what you should or shouldn’t send. Liquor, drugs, chain saws? No. Anything else I can sort through and figure out. Chocolate should be fine, as it will be getting colder here. Boot or sport socks are a big hit too. One thing I have learned though: hygiene products and food do not usually ship well together. Food tends to absorb the scent of soap, laundry detergent, etc… Yuck.

Here are some tips:

-No calling cards are needed. We are too far in the boonies to use them.
-Count on 1 to 1 ½ months for package delivery. So please send your packages before November 1st to be sure it arrives before the holiday!
-Anything you mail will need a customs form filled out and placed on the box at the post office, but you’ll only pay DOMESTIC shipping rates.
-Feel free to forward this email to those you are close to that may be interested!
-Please write “Operation Christmas Stocking” somewhere on the outside of your box, as that will help with our sorting.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of this special Christmas project! If your church or group is already doing Christmas Shoebox or something similar, please don’t let this conflict with that, as we always seem to get plenty. Blessings to you and yours this holiday season!

SemperFidelis,

Dave Mowbray
Chaplain
2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment
Marjah, Afghanistan
david.mowbray@afg.usmc.mil

Here is my mailing address:
Chaplain Dave Mowbray
2/6 H&S Company
Unit 73175
FPO AE 09510-3175

Stocking stuffing - "Toiletries" Care Package items:

Roll of toilet paper
Small trash bags (to dispose of waste)
Books & Magazines - as we know men never "go" without something to read...LOL
Shampoo / conditioner
Soap - bar and liquid - got some little ones while I was travelling - from the hotels
Portable shower - from the camping dept
Wash cloth
Towel
Coffee and mints for afterwards

Also, other items that might be included:

Deodorant,
body powder,
non-aerosol shaving cream/gel,
disposable razors,
wet wipes,
q-tips,
Sunday’s comics & sports section,
and a rubber ducky................inside joke...... :salute:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Re: “Operation Christmas Stocking!”

Postby firefirghter2 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:42 pm

hammAR wrote:I'm passing this along... :hartman:

2/6 Chaplain Dave Mowbray
9/8/2010
Marjah, Afghanistan

Greetings from sunny Afghanistan ! It’s that time once again! Time for “Operation Christmas Stocking!”

Every fall, I begin collecting Christmas stockings to hand out to my Marines and Sailors, so they can have a little Christmas joy while they are away from home. I didn’t do the drive last year, since we were only deployed to exotic North Carolina . However this year finds 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment in far-off Afghanistan , and your donations would really brighten a young service member’s day!

In case you haven’t done this before, it’s pretty easy. My goal is to give everyone in my battalion a stocking on Christmas Day—plain and simple. To do that, I need your help. Here are the items I need from folks like you to make this a success:

-Christmas stockings (12-18 inches long, and feel free to decorate and/or write your name/message on either the inside or outside)
-Pre-lit Christmas Trees (2-4 feet high, cheap ones are fine. These will be used in the various posts and bases around Marjeh)
-Christmas related candy, candy canes, small toys and similar items. The more “Christmasy” or silly the better.

No need to stuff the stockings, I’ll take all donations, plus the goodies we normally get, and try to make everything as equal as I can for everyone. Just use common sense on what you should or shouldn’t send. Liquor, drugs, chain saws? No. Anything else I can sort through and figure out. Chocolate should be fine, as it will be getting colder here. Boot or sport socks are a big hit too. One thing I have learned though: hygiene products and food do not usually ship well together. Food tends to absorb the scent of soap, laundry detergent, etc… Yuck.

Here are some tips:

-No calling cards are needed. We are too far in the boonies to use them.
-Count on 1 to 1 ½ months for package delivery. So please send your packages before November 1st to be sure it arrives before the holiday!
-Anything you mail will need a customs form filled out and placed on the box at the post office, but you’ll only pay DOMESTIC shipping rates.
-Feel free to forward this email to those you are close to that may be interested!
-Please write “Operation Christmas Stocking” somewhere on the outside of your box, as that will help with our sorting.

Thank you in advance for your consideration of this special Christmas project! If your church or group is already doing Christmas Shoebox or something similar, please don’t let this conflict with that, as we always seem to get plenty. Blessings to you and yours this holiday season!

SemperFidelis,

Dave Mowbray
Chaplain
2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment
Marjah, Afghanistan
david.mowbray@afg.usmc.mil

Here is my mailing address:
Chaplain Dave Mowbray
2/6 H&S Company
Unit 73175
FPO AE 09510-3175

Stocking stuffing - "Toiletries" Care Package items:

Roll of toilet paper
Small trash bags (to dispose of waste)
Books & Magazines - as we know men never "go" without something to read...LOL
Shampoo / conditioner
Soap - bar and liquid - got some little ones while I was travelling - from the hotels
Portable shower - from the camping dept
Wash cloth
Towel
Coffee and mints for afterwards

Also, other items that might be included:

Deodorant,
body powder,
non-aerosol shaving cream/gel,
disposable razors,
wet wipes,
q-tips,
Sunday’s comics & sports section,
and a rubber ducky................inside joke...... :salute:

I am all about helping out our great Men and Women in ther service keeping us free. I am all in on this. There was a part in here that says it needs to be sent before Nov 1st? Do we still do it or no? It would be awesom for everyone on the board to do one or two stockings I think. Let me know whta is going on with this as I am all about doing it.
firefirghter2

Postby hammAR on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:39 pm

In theory it usually takes 1 to 1 1//2 months for packages to arrive in country.

Yes, I posted this late, and even was hesitant to do so, but finally decided to anyway.

IF you had ever been deployed, or had someone that you knew that was, any package that arrives any-time can be a treat. It is especially difficult to be away from family and friends during Christmas, and even if a package arrives in January, it is still Christmas to them..........you attach relevance to items and thought, not necessarily a calendar.................

So it is your choice if you want to participate or not, I personally would rather spend $25 bucks on a Marine who gets all $25 in January, than donate $25 to some UN benefit program where $5 dollars of the $25 actually arrives at the destination.

Alternately, you may choose to donate locally to the Toys for Tots program or the Salvation Army, again totally your choice...........

Many will ignore all of this as is their choice, but to those that do or at least do something............God Bless You!
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby firefirghter2 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:55 pm

I am in on doing this. Who else would like to get some of the things on this list and send as a big group from MNGunTalk and ship at once so it would all arrive at once? I would rather do it this way so that the Marines and other men and women in the service will get all of the benefit of what is being sent. Lets get toghether and make a servicemembers holiday away from their family and friends and put a smile on their face.
firefirghter2

Postby FJ540 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:35 am

I've got a table top tree if someone else can cover postage.
FJ540

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:37 am

firefirghter2 wrote:I am in on doing this. Who else would like to get some of the things on this list and send as a big group from MNGunTalk and ship at once so it would all arrive at once? I would rather do it this way so that the Marines and other men and women in the service will get all of the benefit of what is being sent. Lets get toghether and make a servicemembers holiday away from their family and friends and put a smile on their face.

If someone has the time to buy some stuff, I'll throw in for the cost of merchandise and postage. If you're going shopping for this project, please et me know. I'll chip in. Given the demands of my job right now, I'd never get anything shipped on time.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby mrShinola on Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:59 am

I'm in. I'll do what I can to help.
"Keep your booger hook off of the bang-bang switch"
mrShinola

Postby firefirghter2 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 am

xd ED wrote:
firefirghter2 wrote:I am in on doing this. Who else would like to get some of the things on this list and send as a big group from MNGunTalk and ship at once so it would all arrive at once? I would rather do it this way so that the Marines and other men and women in the service will get all of the benefit of what is being sent. Lets get toghether and make a servicemembers holiday away from their family and friends and put a smile on their face.

If someone has the time to buy some stuff, I'll throw in for the cost of merchandise and postage. If you're going shopping for this project, please et me know. I'll chip in. Given the demands of my job right now, I'd never get anything shipped on time.

I will be going today to do some shopping. If anyone on the board wants someone(me) to ship there items or doesn't have time to shop and wants to donate $ to buy items or even cover the shipping cost I would be more then happy to be the go between person. 100% of any $ will go to cover eitheir the shipping charges or to buy items which ever you prefer just let me know. Just PM and I can give you my address or meet up somewhere. I know these items may not reach by X-mas day but it will be X-mas all over again when they get it and put a smile on their face.
firefirghter2

Postby ttousi on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:40 pm

firefirghter2 wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I will be going today to do some shopping. If anyone on the board wants someone(me) to ship there items or doesn't have time to shop and wants to donate $ to buy items or even cover the shipping cost I would be more then happy to be the go between person. 100% of any $ will go to cover eitheir the shipping charges or to buy items which ever you prefer just let me know. Just PM and I can give you my address or meet up somewhere. I know these items may not reach by X-mas day but it will be X-mas all over again when they get it and put a smile on their face.

short on time but I'll send 20.00 your way ..........thanks for doing it
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby firefirghter2 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 pm

ttousi wrote:
short on time but I'll send 20.00 your way ..........thanks for doing it

Thank you very much. It will help buy some things and pay for shipping. For everyone that donates I will of course put their names in a letter or card that I will send with the items. I want to look at sending the items before the end of the month. Like I stated before I know it wont reach them by X-Mas but it will be X-Mas to them when they recieve it.
firefirghter2

Postby firefirghter2 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:20 pm

I would like to do around 50-100 of the stockings so that the whole unit will be able to have one for themselves. If anyone has any ideas how many members there may be or where to find out the info of how many people are in this unit and if they are still deployed let me know as this info will help in the planning. I will also be getting items for the women in the unit if their are any. I know it's an infantry unit but there may be women in the support part of the unit or other units. PM me with ideas, suggestions, donations, or if you have items to send we can meet up somewhere if you like as it would be the best value to ship all together. Thank you for your support of this effort.
P.S. the USMC B-day is coming up on the 10th of NOV if anyone wants to get a cake to give to a recruit center or do a cook out let me know-just an idea
P.S.S- Was thinking maybe of stitching the USMC logo on the stockings if anyone knows someone who can do that that would be awesome.
firefirghter2

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm

firefirghter2 wrote:
xd ED wrote:

I tried to PM you, but it looks like the message is not getting sent.
$25 coming your way if you like. I live in St Paul, near Lk Phalen, I can mail it, drop it off( my parents are in a care center in Oakdale, or I can PayPal it to you. Thanks for taking your time to do this.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby macphisto on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm

xd ED wrote:I tried to PM you, but it looks like the message is not getting sent.

PMs stay in your Outbox until they're read by the recipient, then they're automatically moved to Sent. It's different from most messaging systems and a common source of confusion.
macphisto

Postby xd ED on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:10 pm

macphisto wrote:
xd ED wrote:I tried to PM you, but it looks like the message is not getting sent.

PMs stay in your Outbox until they're read by the recipient, then they're automatically moved to Sent. It's different from most messaging systems and a common source of confusion.

Thanks!
So what becomes of the original message if I delete it from my outbox( as I did so it wouldn't be redundant); will it still get sent?
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby macphisto on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:25 pm

xd ED wrote:
macphisto wrote:

Thanks!
So what becomes of the original message if I delete it from my outbox( as I did so it wouldn't be redundant); will it still get sent?

It will show up in his Inbox with your name and something like "This message has been removed by its author before it was delivered" as the subject.
macphisto

Next

Return to Other Events