Important 2nd Saturday North Breakfast Issues....

Other events and get togethers

Important 2nd Saturday North Breakfast Issues....

Postby cmj685 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:33 am

Guys and gals of the 2nd Saturday north breakfast:
First, let me apologize for today's specially rescheduled breakfast not taking place in "our" back room. Not sure what happened--I called and spoke with someone there two weeks ago, they checked the calendar, said no one had the back room for the 3rd Saturday and they had booked us. When I showed up I was completely baffled to find the back room being used by another group and the manager telling me that the group in question always had that back room on the 3rd Saturday...? Anyway, I guess it worked out. Thanks for the incredible numbers despite the reschedule! You guys and gals are the best! And it was good seeing several of you that I haven't seen in a while.

Mike Martin, whom we all know as "The Guy Who Wrote the Best Book" on carry in Minnesota showed me his new revision for the new book today. He thinks it may be ready by next month. The first edition is an amazing book for those of you who haven't seen it yet (hopefully all of us have at least one copy)--easily the authoritative book on carry in Minnesota--and this second edition is nothing short of fantastic with many added pages and illustrations. Looking forward to seeing it in print! What a talent this guy is! (Mike, as agreed, you owe me breakfast for the plug. Oops, was I not suppose to say that out loud :D ?)

Question: some of the guys had mentioned that Old Country Buffet has a tremendous breakfast buffet on Saturdays and we ought to give it some consideration. As many of you know, there is an old country buffet directly across the street to the south from Dennys, so I wandered over there and took a tour with the manager. They have a nice (and much larger) banquet room which she said we could have (though it might not be strictly private all the time since starting about 10:30 AM or so they start seating overflow in the room). Breakfast is $5.95, paid at the door as you enter. From there you can have everything in the place, and I mean--they do have everything! How good it is, I can't say, but there is more variety and food than anyone could ever imagine. It is buffet style, serve yourself, all-you-can-eat, including the coffee. Parking is much more spacious and less congested than at Dennys since you have the whole mall lot to park in, though you might have to walk a ways to the door. The one disadvantage for sure--we wouldn't have the best waittress in the world like we do now! But there wouldn't be the wait for food with everyone serving themselves, either.
What do you guys think? Would any of you be wanting to move over there strongly...or any be opposed strongly? Let me know your ideas, and it might be good to post them here so others can read and ponder. If we get a strong consensus one way or the other, we will go with it. It makes no difference to me.
Last edited by cmj685 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Re: Important 2nd Saturday North Breakfast Issues....

Postby ttousi on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:39 am

lets try it...........can always go back to Denny's or split the events between the two. Make sure we let Justine know if we are not coming.
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby jgalt on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:45 am

For me, the food & accommodations - so long as they are adequate - are much less important than the company. Either place is fine by me, so long as the food at Old Country Buffet is at least decent.

Thanks for putting this together on a regular basis, and for the effort in finding the 'best' venue for it!

:cheers:
jgalt

Postby Stradawhovious on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:47 am

Let me start be saying that I think Justine is a fantastic server. I would like to register my strong dislike for the new "manager". It seemed to me that we were viewed as more of a burden than paying clients with his body language and lack of hospitality. Greeting people with the phrase "Gun or Church?" in an unpleasant put-out tone, and telling people "if more people come in, you'd better not seat them in this row of booths" was just the start of my annoyance with him today. I have noticed this contempt over the last three breakfasts, and today it was the main reason for my hasty departure. I would be happy to give a different venue a try since the management at Dennys doesn't seem to want to be bothered by paying customers.
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby pastorpaul on Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:51 pm

although i only make one out of every four or five bf s i think our numbers justify a slightly larger venue. $6.00 / meal is a great price. haven't been to an ocb in ages but i would be up to move.
it was a good time this morning. thanx.
j in J - pp

polish by heritage; american by birth; patriot by conviction; saved by grace through faith in Christ!
pastorpaul

Postby ttousi on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:53 pm

yes, the 6 buck meal does have merit...........also the variety the buffet offers
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby DeanC on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Having put together group lunches longer than I've been carrying a gun, I'll say that a buffet is always a lot less hassle than anything else with no worries about anyone skipping out on a tab, waiting for food, showing up late, etc.

I wish we had a buffet option downtown like we did at Old Chicago. But Fogo will have to suffice for now.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby old guy's wench on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:07 pm

Justine is fantastic, and I would miss her greatly, the little room in the back has not been set up comfortably for all of us, and today we would have been too many for it.. the manager, does seem to have a very strong dislike for any sort of positive customer service with our group, though he did come around with the coffee pot once. I personally think reporting his lack of positive customer service skills to the corporate office would not go amiss. when you have 30+ people with checks starting at $10 and up, that's a huge profit to lose.

The OCB breakfast has a variety of breakfast foods, no desserts, no salads, just breakfast items, including made to order omelets.. the really positive thing about an OCB is they are located around the metro, and if we are still there at 11 we get the lunch menu and choices as well.. without paying more...

Switching back and forth between the 2 is a great idea, as well as maybe trying the different ocb's around the metro... i am in favor of the switch though i really hate to lose such a wonderful server. full cudo's to Justine... :D
old guy's wench

Postby ttousi on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:24 pm

We should invite Justine to the OC buffet and treat her.......... :D
MN Permit Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor

ttousi

Postby JoeH on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:29 pm

Stradawhovious wrote: the management at Dennys doesn't seem to want to be bothered by paying customers.

And they are racist!
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby old guy's wench on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:34 pm

ttousi wrote:We should invite Justine to the OC buffet and treat her.......... :D

I think that is a wonderful idea, she comes in special to work our group, so she may be able to join us..
old guy's wench

Postby westberg on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I'm OK with trying OCB.
westberg

Postby old guy's wench on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:47 pm

hi guys and gals, I filed a complaint with Denny's corporate office after our breakfast yesterday, and not only did i get an apology from the coporate office, but i received this email from the manager from Maplewood's Denny's.. I have not responded yet, and wanted to share this.. hopefully i didnt' step on anyone's toes by doing this, but i work customer service, and really don't appreciate spending my money where i am treated poorly.. this is definitely an apology, and maybe worth a revisit... :D

Hello Cheryl,

I would like to apologize for the conflict we had yesterday with the location of the group, we do everything we can to ensure double booking of large parties doesn't happen and I can't recall the last time it did. The other party that was here actually schedules around your group to ensure this doesn't happen, and when I took the reservation from them 2 months prior for that date I checked with the waitress to make sure there wouldn't be a conflict, I never received notification of your date change from the 9th to the 16th. I am also sorry to have given your group the impression that you are not appreciated or valued as customers, because you most certainly are!. When I removed the Pot from the table I was just following through on company policy, nothing more and meant no ill harm. I realize that justine takes great care of you, and you provide a good amount of sales for this restaurant. Again, I am sorry to have had the scheduling conflict, and to have given the impression that myself, or this company does not value your group as guests, because we most certainly do, especially in these very tough times.

My supervisor has authorized me to use the coffee pots for the table for your group only, and I would also like to extend the offer for free beverages on your next visit if you were wanting and willing to return. We would most certainly like to see you come every month, if not more frequently. Again as I said before, you are greatly appreciated.

I can be reached either via email, or phone.

Jaret Baron
General Manager
Dennys #7195
3050 White Bear Ave
Maplewood, MN 55109
651-777-6497
old guy's wench

Postby 1911fan on Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:55 pm

I would still prefer trying ocb. I would enjoy more space and have a buffet.
1911fan

Postby cmj685 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:15 am

Guys and gals,
We are a "go" for old country buffet in Maplewood for the 2nd Saturday North breakfast for February (February 13). I just spoke again to a second manager (just to make sure we got the same story) and he gives exactly the same story as the first: that we can have the banquet room for ourselves until they need it for overflow a bit later in the morning. It is a nice, large room, so we should fit more comfortably. Everyone will pay on their way in ($5.95 was what I was told), and the banquet room is straight ahead of you at the end of the aisle in the same direction you are facing as you are standing at the register.
I just noticed on their website this morning that they apparently have a card you can buy for $1/year which gives those of age 60 and over some special perks--don't know exactly what those perks are but if you are in that wise and ancient group, you may want to ask when you come in.
We will give it a shot and see how the facilities and food are. We can take an informal poll after to see if people would like to make the switch permanent or not. I will let the manager at Denny's know we won't be there in February and update him later depending on how people feel about OCB.

Not sure if someone wants to contact Justine and let her know?
Mike
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Next

Return to Other Events