2nd Saturday North OCB Breakfast Feedback?

Other events and get togethers

2nd Saturday North OCB Breakfast Feedback?

Postby cmj685 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:19 am

So a few of us (about 19 I think) had breakfast this morning at the Old Country Buffet in Maplewood instead of our usual place across the street at Dennys. I would love some feedback from those who were there--what did you like and/or didn't like? Would you like to make it a usual meeting spot or not? Let us all know what you think and whatever the consensus is, we will go that way.

Oh...and where the heck were the rest of you? I promised the manager we would fill up that big banquet room and we barely took half! :)
I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
cmj685

Re: 2nd Saturday North OCB Breakfast Feedback?

Postby tacticalninja32 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:26 am

I have not really had a chance to attend the Denny's, but overall it was great again, I got the honor to meet more the veterans of this forum, and of course Sesmic was dropping science about handcannons and ingredients to make perpsalad, it was a good time for me and some good conversations too, definately will try to come around more often especially the weekend get togethers, one thing that can be a bonus would have been a hot waitress, but I guess we can't have everything
Blood makes the grass grow
tacticalninja32

Postby EAJuggalo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:27 am

I enjoyed it but I feel like there wasn't all that much talk. At Denny's you have time both before and after ordering as well as after you're done eating to move around and socialize with those not seated immediately next to you. I think that the food was better at Denny's and would prefer to go back there next month.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Spike on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:39 pm

This was the first one I attended so I can't compare Denny's to OCB. However, I did have a good time and it was nice to meet some of the forum members. I'll be at the next one wherever it's held.

- Spike
Spike

Postby lumbering.buffalo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:39 pm

The price was right, but that's about it.

I got the feeling that we are less appreciated there than at Denny's. Granted, I wasn't part of last month's debacle, however, based on the side comments by the girls at the register I felt we were putting them out (at least those two).

The seating appeared more compact than at Denny's. Being a larger guy I like the end or aisle seats. I felt it made for less conversation.

The food was just ok.

So all-in-all I prefer Denny's.
Last edited by lumbering.buffalo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lumbering.buffalo

Postby 1911fan on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 pm

I had one of those 1 1/2 hour blinks, the alarm went off, and I blinked and it was 10;20. seemed like no one stuck around very long. I have eaten breakfast quite a few times at the roseville OCB and always felt it was good. I am going to go back to this OCB for breakfast to get an opinion on their food quality.

I would prefer a buffet to ordering personally, I usually have had coupons for OCB breakfasts that were 5.95 or 6.59, which with no tip, is half what denny's serves for less than perfect food. I like the waitress, and we treat her well, which means my breakfast at denny's usually is 12 bucks with tip or more. thats a lot for ok but not terrific food.
1911fan

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Sorry for not calling ya then Pete. I was going to, but wasn't sure if you'd be dealing with OGC or not (and I thought I was running late when I wasn't :oops: ).

The food did seem marginal, but I thought the convo was good.

What I didn't like was when they brought in the ladies with youngin's and parked them directly behind us in our reserved room... Granted this was pretty close to 11, so maybe our reservation had expired, but I didn't think it was appropriate. They could've been seated much further away from us within that same room.

I also agree with the expense of Denny's for marginal food. I had a simple sandwich and no beverage there which resulted in a $10 meal after tip. Not exactly money well spent IMO. I can eat much better for the same money at Key's.

Another buffet would be best for me. Lets at least find someplace with decent food.
FJ540

Postby R.E.T. on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:13 pm

I missed Denney's. I thought the food was better although it cost a little more(at Denney's that is). Would it be possible to have the second Saturday at Denney's and a forth Saturday at an OCB more towards the west side of the cities?
Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the face of an uplifted knife. Oliver Wendell Holmes
Make yourself sheep, and the wolves will eat you. Benjamin Franklin
Don't blame me, I voted for an American.
R.E.T.

Postby old guy's wench on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:46 pm

Old Guy and I eat at OCB's every weekend, so we knew going in what to expect. they changed the menu significantly when they dropped the price, we have mixed feelings about that, though this ocb, left the ice cream machine on.. that's a plus.

Here's another plus for ocb, we can arrange the tables to suit us better, so we could all chat more.. we didn't this time, but we could, they will not set it up in a square for us, but again, we could.. there was lot's of room, and had everyone showed, we wouldnt' have lost space to the ladies with the kids, but if there had been a situation, look how protected those kids would have been..

At denny's the back room is really crowded, though you may socialize before and after you order, the same socializing can be done at OCB.

I personally like having the menu choice at denny's, but prefer the OCB price, can't complain about the omelets though at ocb, and as for the comment about the sausage reuse? that is done everywhere.. did you try the sausage gravy? really very good.. I also like the more room thing at OCB..

The young man offered coffee, and would probably do the same thing with out a suggestion next time, the workers at OCB for the most part are very dedicated to making the customer very welcome, and really do try to go out of their way to serve us, even though they are only paid 7.25 an hour.. did you leave a buck or 2 for them? If we were to start using the facilities there on a regular basis, they would go out of their way to make us welcome. Right now, we are a bit scary. And at 10:30 or so they start having a huge line and get lot's of people as the menu changes over at 11, so everyone wants the breakfast and lunch menu for 5.95.. can't blame them in this economy. But the place turns into a zoo.

My vote, we try OCB another month, with the whole gang, and then throw the poll out for everyone to decide.. there were alot more opinionated types who were not here this week, that really should experience it..
old guy's wench

Postby tacticalninja32 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 pm

i really did not care where we went, i was there 20% for food, 80% for company and picking up info about the shooting sport
tacticalninja32

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:38 pm

tacticalninja32 wrote:i really did not care where we went, i was there 20% for food, 80% for company and picking up info about the shooting sport

You learned anything yet kid?
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby lumbering.buffalo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:41 pm

Last edited by lumbering.buffalo on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lumbering.buffalo

Postby tacticalninja32 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:50 pm

Pinnacle wrote:
tacticalninja32 wrote:i really did not care where we went, i was there 20% for food, 80% for company and picking up info about the shooting sport

You learned anything yet kid?

the one tool for making perp salad is really expensive and hope no one ever has to make one especially in their own living room :twisted:
tacticalninja32

Postby mnglocker on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:33 am

FJ540 wrote: I can eat much better for the same money at Key's.

Key's Cafe is posted, they're not getting one cent from this group.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby FJ540 on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:45 am

It's been at least a year since I've been there. I just know they have better food for the same price as Denny's.
FJ540

Next

Return to Other Events