Outbreak Omega 5

Other events and get togethers

Outbreak Omega 5

Postby Keith81 on Tue May 29, 2012 9:09 pm

This will be my first time going, looks like it should be a good time. Just wondering from those who have gone or are going what should I bring to get the most out of it? I was thinking a few hundred rounds each for pistol and rifle, and a few boxes of field shot and slugs for the shogun stages. I still need to get a mag pouch and was thinking about a tactical vest just for the fun of it.
Keith81

Re: Outbreak Omega 5

Postby PileDriver on Wed May 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Me and a buddy went to OO3 when it was in St Cloud. It was a good time. All you really need is ammo and a decent way to hold your mags/shotgun shells. We will be there this year as well. :)
PileDriver

Outbreak Omega 5

Postby SleepingJake on Thu May 31, 2012 2:41 pm

I'm still thinking about going. Do you have time to pick up brass and whatnot?
SleepingJake

Postby Maniac117 on Thu May 31, 2012 2:48 pm

Rats, forgot about this event. :x Not prepared in any way for it, doubt the wife will even let me be a spectator.
MP5?
Maniac117

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu May 31, 2012 2:53 pm

[rant]

I went to the first one, and it was a joke. Impossibly long lines and the ROs letting their friends in to shoot first, or repeat stages over and over again while others waited in line made it difficult to shoot any stages, and I spent all day getting muzzled by tactidiots. No opportunity to retreive any brass, none of the stages were scored in any meaningful fashion, and you were unable to check targets on many of them. There were HUNDREDS of people walking around carrying rifles that were either unrestrained, or on a sling, and even though it was required to have a chamber flag showing if not at a shooting station I stopped counting after seeing a dozen rifles with no chamber flag and a closed action being nonchalantly carried through the facility.

The best part of the day was watching some guy dressed like a ninja almost fall off a ladder and impale himself on a sword, and cruising the vendors to see the drastically overpriced fare. Now to be fair, it seems they had a MUCH larger crowd than they were expecting, so that probably had something to do with it.

Unless they have seriously stepped up the orginization and safety (which they may have, but based on reports from the last few...... not so much), I will never go again. I'm AMAZED nobody was seriously injured the first few go arounds.

[/rant]
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby PileDriver on Thu May 31, 2012 3:50 pm

The safety was pretty decent at #3. You weren't allowed to leave a stage without reinserting the flag. The one thing they did not enforce was that pistols were supposed to be cased, not holstered. Some people still holstered. I can be a hyperaware nervous chicken**** and did not notice anything too hinkie. As for tactidorks, well... Look at the purpose of the event. You're gonna get ninjawarriors. Hell, I went in fire bunker gear. :lol: The value is just kinda "meh" though. Don't get me wrong, as I said before I had a damn good time with my buddy at OO3. However, if you need to put a lot of effort into going (like you need to travel a long distance, etc) you may be disappointed. Now that it's at Ahlman's, it's only 30 minutes from me. I would not have considered going if it was still in St Cloud. I now will not be going due to my buddy having to work, and going alone would ultimately suck.
PileDriver

Postby Stradawhovious on Thu May 31, 2012 3:56 pm

PileDriver wrote: As for tactidorks, well... Look at the purpose of the event. You're gonna get ninjawarriors. Hell, I went in fire bunker gear. :lol:

I should be clear.... it wasn't the outfit that bothered me, it was being made to visually confirm the twist rate in their barrel from the business end that did it. ;) I just used the outfit for narrative purposes. :D
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby PileDriver on Thu May 31, 2012 4:11 pm

Stradawhovious wrote:I should be clear.... it wasn't the outfit that bothered me, it was being made to visually confirm the twist rate in their barrel from the business end that did it. ;) I just used the outfit for narrative purposes. :D

:lol: I figured as much. Reminds me of a time duck hunting with a couple buddies. Apparently one of our newer-to-hunting pals nearly muzzle checked one of the other guys. I always remember his response, "Hey, I just saw what color your shells are".
PileDriver

Postby promod1385 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am

I have heard they have a killer prize table!

No scoring, no chance to check targets, no time to chase brass??? Three strikes and they are out in my book! I have said it once and I will say it again, these events are a waste of ammunition. I spend too much time in front of the press the way it sits now anyway between 3gun and USPSA.
promod1385

Postby grousemaster on Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:15 pm

promod1385 wrote:I have heard they have a killer prize table!

No scoring, no chance to check targets, no time to chase brass??? Three strikes and they are out in my book! I have said it once and I will say it again, these events are a waste of ammunition. I spend too much time in front of the press the way it sits now anyway between 3gun and USPSA.

A waste of ammunition if you don't include all the free ammunition they give away (Remington, last year). I left in the black as far as ammunition. My buddy and I both got drawn for door prizes as well . There's no reason to stay clear of this event (unless you have something better to do than blasting zombie targets), the sponsors have stepped it up quite a bit the last couple years.

Our of curiosity, what reports have been heard regarding poor safety at last years event?
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby gopherfan6969 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:48 pm

I've been going since year 2. Last year at ahlman's was the best yet. I only saw one guy who looked like he shouldn't be allowed near a gun but he was one scary dude. They have stepped up safety allot since coming to ahlman's and the prize table this year is supposed to make it worth buying a $25 ticket and just showing up at 5pm for the drawings. It is billed as a fun shoot so if you're into competitions, it's probably not your cup of tea. I enjoy dressing up like a fool, wasting some range ammo, checking out the "scenery" and browsing the vendors so it's right up my alley.

btw,
Keith81 wrote: and a few boxes of field shot and slugs for the shogun stages.

no slugs allowed for shotgun stages

I'll see all you other zombie crazed fools out there!

Kyle from Farmington
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
~Clint Eastwood
gopherfan6969

Outbreak Omega 5

Postby Keith81 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:48 pm

gopherfan6969 wrote:btw,

They don't have a lot of info on their website regarding ammo except that steel core or any ammo that sticks to a magnet is not allowed. I was watching a video on YouTube from last year and they had a shotgun stage that was in a boat and they were shooting at steel targets on the bank. Just assumed they were using slugs?
Keith81

Postby grousemaster on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Keith81 wrote:
gopherfan6969 wrote:btw,

They don't have a lot of info on their website regarding ammo except that steel core or any ammo that sticks to a magnet is not allowed. I was watching a video on YouTube from last year and they had a shotgun stage that was in a boat and they were shooting at steel targets on the bank. Just assumed they were using slugs?

I shot steel ammo last year (didn't want to worry about brass) and no one said anything
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby codilly on Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:18 pm

I also checked with them on facebook and they said steel ammo such as Wolf or Tula is allowed and those both stick to magnets. I have heard nothing but good things and that it keeps getting better every year. I will be making my first appearence there this year and hope to take home some nice swag and other give aways/prizes.
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:11 pm

This will be our fourth Omega. Had fun at previous events, the safety has improved significantly since they moved to Ahlman's. No question the event is growing faster than anyone expected.

This event is neither serious competition nor serious training. Don't take it seriously and you will probably have a good time!

We go to hang out, dress up and do some shooting. Word is more stages will have reactive targets this year. Manufacturer demo shoots, lots of cool guns and gear to check out, and the prize drawing is always good. This year's prizes total over $100k and include several guns.

If you see us there, stop and say hi. Always nice to meet other MGTers in person.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.qsitraining.net
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Next

Return to Other Events