Steel Shoot Dates for 2013

Other events and get togethers

Re: Steel Shoot Dates for 2013

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:32 am

Hi all, jj mentioned this match style as a possibility for me. I'm mobility limited and can only stand for short periods.

1- Would these Steel shoots work for someone disabled and only able to walk short distances with a cane, otherwise I require a wheelchair.

2- Where can I find info such as what firearms and ammo are permitted?
3- Are there divisions for a Noob like me?

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.

If someone experienced is willingto talk to me about it, please PM and I'll give them my home phone so I can discuss any possibilities of me being able to shoot in this type shooting event.
Thanks,

BD :?:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby rugershooter6823 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:32 am

Last year was the first year for me! The only time movement is really required is at the end when we do man v man. Other than the the other four stages you stand in a box that is approximately 3x3. You shoot three sets at each stage, so you stand for a couple minutes at a time. As for a noobie section we are all split in to 4 groups. No specific skill levels. This is a fun competition. I was a little slow the first time i went, the second time i went i shaved 60 seconds off my total time. As the year goes on the stages get a little more difficult. As for what guns are allowed im not sure i saw 40,9,45 38super, revolver.

Sent from my iphone5 using Tapatalk
This house is protected by the good lord and a gun.
rugershooter6823

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:22 am

If you're driving wheelchair in your avatar, I imagine you'll be at no disadvantage, depending on the gearing. :)

It's noobs & experts all mixed together. That's part of why I like it. I get to see some amazing shooting sometimes, and over the years I've gotten a lot of free expert-level advice from the range officers and fellow shooters. And on the other hand there's usually somebody there that I can beat. Heck a couple times I've beat some of the super dooper grand master shooters; the trick is to show up on the day when their fancy gun breaks.
Pat Cannon

Postby Countryfried Frank on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:42 am

Pat Cannon wrote:And on the other hand there's usually somebody there that I can beat.

Geez, why don't you just call me out by name. :)
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby Ron Burgundy on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:47 am

I've been on the MvM losing end. Sometimes a 17 round mag is no match for one cylinder from Pat.
Ron Burgundy

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:50 am

Pat Cannon wrote:If you're driving wheelchair in your avatar, I imagine you'll be at no disadvantage, depending on the gearing. :)

It's noobs & experts all mixed together. That's part of why I like it. I get to see some amazing shooting sometimes, and over the years I've gotten a lot of free expert-level advice from the range officers and fellow shooters. And on the other hand there's usually somebody there that I can beat. Heck a couple times I've beat some of the super dooper grand master shooters; the trick is to show up on the day when their fancy gun breaks.

Unfortunately that is not my chair. An old friend emailed that to me and I've wanted one ever since. I'm hoping one of the Officers or Organizers see's my post and will contact me so I can setup to talk with them on the phone. My typing skills lack somewhat :?
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Snowgun on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:10 pm

BigDog58 wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:If you're driving wheelchair in your avatar, I imagine you'll be at no disadvantage, depending on the gearing. :)

Unfortunately that is not my chair. An old friend emailed that to me and I've wanted one ever since. I'm hoping one of the Officers or Organizers see's my post and will contact me so I can setup to talk with them on the phone. My typing skills lack somewhat :?

The only physical requirement is that you can stand in one spot for 5-10 minutes and can do so while safely drawing and shooting a pistol. Slurpy might even let you shoot from a chair, but you would probably have to go from a low ready.

Any handgun of 38 caliber and above is allowed I believe, as long as its not ridiculous like a 500 s&w (so that the steel would get damaged).
    The holster has to cover the trigger guard, can be IWB (but OWB is perferred).
    It is HIGHLY suggested that either multiple magazines be brought, or that a few magazines can be filled to a capacity of 15-19. (you shoot 4 times at five targets, 5 shots a round if you don't miss. it is a pain to be reloading magazines during your turn, so it's nice to have enough magazines to get through a stage).
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby rugershooter6823 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Reloading mags regularly sucks i had to last year. But i know am the proud owner or 5 mags for my SR40!!

rugershooter6823

Postby Lights on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:05 pm

Are we any closer to a steel shoot? I can not wait any longer.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby BBeckwith on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:07 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:
Nalez wrote:So, with these steel shoots, do we shoot at steel (steel targets), or shoot with steel (AP bullets) or both?

Good that you asked. These are the targets you're NOT supposed to make holes in. Going downrange with the welder after every string slowed the match down too much.

Welder what match were you at??? we used Gaffers tape the last time I was at a match where the popper broke along the weld. :lol:
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby rugershooter6823 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 pm

How many hours pat?

rugershooter6823

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:20 am

Only 940!
Pat Cannon

Postby unknown on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Is there a Steel Shoot official website to get detailed intel?
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby goatroper on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:38 pm

unknown wrote:Is there a Steel Shoot official website to get detailed intel?

I think that this thread is "the Steel Shoot official website" Hope to make them all this year!!!
"Tell me... do you like music, Mr. Finch?"
goatroper

Postby BBeckwith on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:35 am

unknown wrote:Is there a Steel Shoot official website to get detailed intel?

It's not that official. The steel shoots are organized and run by selurcspi and chinakay. They are a non sanctioned shoot. As stated above search for Steel Shot and you will find plenty of threads.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

PreviousNext

Return to Other Events