Thanksgiving 2008

Other events and get togethers

Thanksgiving 2008

Postby hammAR on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:16 pm

A Little Thanksgiving Story

LITTLETON, Colo. — This time last year, Monique White was living in a tiny motel room and looking for work, pining for the Thanksgivings of her childhood when dozens gathered for the holiday feast.

On Thursday, White will fulfill her holiday wish. She has a home and a job, and thanks to an impromptu Craigslist posting, more than 30 strangers are gathering at her house to share a banquet of nine turkeys, four hams, 16 boxes of stuffing and a dozen or so pies.

Click here to see more on Monique White's Turkey Day table for 32.

White, 36, posted a two-sentence invitation on the Internet classifieds site last week. The receptionist at a dentist's office was feeling a little lonely, her two sons spending the holiday with their dad. So she figured maybe four or five strangers would reply to her ad and join her and longtime partner Doug White at their suburban Denver home for Thanksgiving dinner.

Instead, dozens replied. People laid off work. People with no family. People ashamed to bring their children to a charity Thanksgiving dinner at a soup kitchen.

"I thought there was no way I could judge who is worthy of sitting at my table. I have to invite them all," White said, sitting at her dining room table as she went over some of the e-mails.
Related

So all 32 people who responded are coming over for Thanksgiving dinner. White's boss heard what she was doing and said he'd pay for the food. A local hotel is bringing over tables and chairs. A professional magician in the area replied and offered to come perform for the kids. National media outlets have shuffled through the Whites' modest town house writing about the unusual offer.

It's a far cry from last year, when the Whites were living in a motel room. They had a long-haul trucking business that had gone out of business. Doug White was working construction; Monique White was still looking. Their holiday got worse when the window in their motel room caved in after a heavy snow, leaving them with little to give thanks for but a soggy mess.

"Last year it was just us two. It was horrible," she said.

Things have turned around. Both are now working, and they've bought the town house. With the economy as it is, the Whites say they're barely making ends meet. But they feel compelled to share what they do have with others.

"That's what Thanksgiving is about: Helping other people out however you can," Doug White said.

He's had little time to contemplate the meaning of Monique's Craigslist gesture. He was busy making the first turkeys, putting one in the oven as soon as another came out. But there's truly plenty to give thanks for over the past year.

"Looking back then to now, it's night and day," Doug White said.

"People need to stop being so worried about me, me, me, my bills, my life. You stop worrying, and look what happens?"

I wish everyone an enjoyable thanksgiving,

To our children, spouses, siblings, friends who are away from us this year keeping us safe...know that you are so very much missed and we look to the day when we can wrap our arms around you.

To all who travel in the next few days....please be careful on the roads and in the sky.

Give thanks for your blessings and for this wonderful country we are so fortunate to call The United States of America.

To those deployed we are thinking of you and wish all of you to have a safe and happy thanksgiving....our prayers for your safety is tantamount.

To each and everyone of the MnGunTalk family.....I wish you a Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. Enjoy the food, family, fellowship, and football.......

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Re: Thanksgiving 2008

Postby ttousi on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:34 pm

:exactly:
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby Lady T on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Thank-You hammAR for that post & reminder!

Here's hoping you, your Family and everyone out there had a wonderful & safe Thanksgiving :D
I don't think I'm going to have to eat for the next couple of days!

LT
Lady T

Postby westberg on Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:14 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
westberg

Postby hammAR on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:43 pm

Things You Can Only Say On Thanksgiving:

1. Talk about a huge breast!
2. Tying the legs together keeps the inside moist.
3. It's Cool Whip time!
4. If I don't undo my pants, I'll burst!
5. That's one terrific spread!
6. I'm in the mood for a little dark meat.
7.. Are you ready for seconds yet?
8. Its a little dry, do you still want to eat it?
9. Just wait your turn, you'll get some!
10. Don't play with your meat.
11. Just spread the legs open and stuff it in.
12. Do you think you'll be able to handle all these people at once?
13. I didn't expect everyone to come at once!
14. You still have a little bit on your chin.
15. How long will it take after you stick it in?
16. You'll know it's ready when it pops up.
17. Wow, I didn't think I could handle all of that!
18. That's the biggest one I've ever seen!

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Return to Other Events