Steel Shoots in 2015

Other events and get togethers

Re: Steel Shoots in 2015

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu May 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:How long do the shoots typically run? I would like to make the May 16th match, but now I have a 5 pm commitment back in the cities.

Yeah, it depends on the crowd which depends largely on the weather. I've been at one that was done around 1 pm, and one a few years ago where I was late to a 6 pm wedding reception.
Pat Cannon

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri May 08, 2015 10:56 am

I going to try my best to make it out. Does factory 115gr 9mm generally have enough zip to get the job done? I have not had time to reload lately, and I am out of my home rolled.
Jack's My dog

Postby IDPA Shooter on Fri May 08, 2015 11:02 am

Yes factory 9mm works just fine
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby mrgoodwrench1985 on Fri May 08, 2015 11:07 pm

Factory 115gr 9mm is all i have used so far and it works fine for me.
mrgoodwrench1985

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:59 pm

I have seen posts in regards to one of the weekends being a revolver shoot. Is this an "official" revolver shoot? If not, would it be considered poor form to show up with the semi-auto? Don't get me wrong, I would like to play the revolver game, but it would mean picking up some additional equipment, such as a holster and a few additional speed loaders. The speed loaders I should get anyways...but I really wasn't ever planning on getting a hip holster for the 6" gp100....I know you can play with out the holster...but not the MvM.
Jack's My dog

Postby Doc Harvey on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:I have seen posts in regards to one of the weekends being a revolver shoot. Is this an "official" revolver shoot? If not, would it be considered poor form to show up with the semi-auto? Don't get me wrong, I would like to play the revolver game, but it would mean picking up some additional equipment, such as a holster and a few additional speed loaders. The speed loaders I should get anyways...but I really wasn't ever planning on getting a hip holster for the 6" gp100....I know you can play with out the holster...but not the MvM.

You can shoot whatever you want! I hope to shoot my GP100, but it depends on whether or not I can buy enough speed loaders by July.

PS. I'm thinking about making a kydex holster for my GP100. If you're interested in one, let me know.
Doc Harvey

Steel Shoots in 2015

Postby BBeckwith on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:38 pm

The revolver month (July), is meant to be revos but if you bring a mag gun you will be be asked to download the mags and your times will be compared against others with mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby Jack's My dog on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:11 pm

BBeckwith wrote:The revolver month (July), is meant to be revos but if you bring a mag gun you will be be asked to download the mags and your times will be compared against others with mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And a 6 inch is still cool? I thought I saw somewhere the longer revolvers are frowned on.
Jack's My dog

Postby tator2k on Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:24 am

5-6" is ideal. Drawing anything longer is a pain.
tator2k

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:57 am

I had intended to compete this year in these Steel Shoots, but things happened that prevented my attendance.

Maybe next year if I back off on the number of 50BMG Matches that I attend, which reduces the financial strain also.
Being retired with a fixed income has surely put a damper on the Sport I love, and the components I buy.
That said, I have sufficient components of 9mm and 40S&W to last my lifetime.
But 50BMG projectiles at $2+ each, primers at $0.45 each, powder at $1.08 each, cases re-used, is why I can only finance 1 Sport which involves travel, motels, food & drink, and Match fees. This does not include maintenance of 2 rifles & scopes for the classes I shoot.
And I'm finally shooting to the ability level I always dreamed of attaining at 1000 yards and beyond.

I may build a specialty rifle to compete in the "King of 2 Mile" events next year. I will start with a 50BMG case which will fit either of my current rifles, but "wildcat" it with a slightly reduced bore size using CNC lathe turned brass solids of 750-850 grains minimum trying to attain a velocity of 3200 fps or more. Initial tests with my 50 has demonstrated 800 grains at 3160 fps using specially coated brass solids. Additional tests will demonstrate whether "gain" twist barrels may be required to reach the stability level required for Matches beyond 3500 yards.

An example of what I will be competing against:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... ile-match/
OldmanFCSA

Postby mrgoodwrench1985 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:18 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:I had intended to compete this year in these Steel Shoots, but things happened that prevented my attendance.

Maybe next year if I back off on the number of 50BMG Matches that I attend, which reduces the financial strain also.
Being retired with a fixed income has surely put a damper on the Sport I love, and the components I buy.
But 50BMG projectiles at $2+ each, primers at $0.45 each, powder at $1.08 each, cases re-used, is why I can only finance 1 Sport which involves travel, motels, food & drink, and Match fees. This does not include maintenance of 2 rifles & scopes for the classes I shoot.
And I'm finally shooting to the ability level I always dreamed of attaining at 1000 yards and beyond.

I may build a specialty rifle to compete in the "King of 2 Mile" events next year. I will start with a 50BMG case which will fit either of my current rifles, but "wildcat" it with a slightly reduced bore size using CNC lathe turned brass solids of 750-850 grains minimum trying to attain a velocity of 3200 fps or more. Initial tests with my 50 has demonstrated 800 grains at 3160 fps using specially coated brass solids. Additional tests will demonstrate whether "gain" twist barrels may be required to reach the stability level required for Matches beyond 3500 yards.

Um ok???
mrgoodwrench1985

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:26 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:An example of what I will be competing against:

Cool, you need one of these!
Our friend Darrell Buell has a new Beast — a monster 64-inch-long .375 CheyTac that weighs more than 70 pounds! Designed for ultra-long-range shooting (two miles and beyond), this beast represents the state-of-the-art in extreme long-range rifles.
... Buell’s Beast runs 350gr solid bullets at approximately 3250 fps.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:32 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I had intended to compete this year in these Steel Shoots, but things happened that prevented my attendance.

Doug,
I never realized you were interested in shooting .50 BMG, I wish you would have found some way to mention it sooner!

Now, if only I could find someone who teaches reloading at a private facility...
Erud

Previous

Return to Other Events