MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Re: 2015 Wells Gun Show

Postby 870TC on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Well that sucks donkey balls. March 14 - 15 is also MWCA show at MN State Fair Coliseum Building
870TC

Postby 2in2out on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:23 pm

Yeah, that's unfortunate. The Coliseum is a great venue for a MWCA show, but I can make a couple o the other spring dates.

I'm interested to see the new school in Wells.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:37 pm

To those who've been to the Wells show, is it worth the trip? How does it compare to the MWCA show at the Coliseum?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby 2in2out on Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:29 am

I think it's a completely different type of show. Many people here on this forum have been moderately disappointed in Wells, because they don't get too restrictive with what can be sold. I would guess that there are probably an equal number of vendors, but people sell old fishing lures, coins, etc. - even crafts.

One of the cool things about Wells is that it's held at a school, and the profits go to support local activities.

The school district constructed a brand new building that opened for this school year. The old building was a little confusing, and we always have to stop and ask ourselves, have we been down this hallway before. It was also totally packed, and the hallways were narrow (actually, being totally packed and hard to move around is similar to the Coliseum). That's why I'm interested to see the new building, and hopefully there will be more space to move around.

I don't think I've ever bought a firearm at the Wells show, but always come away with something. They have a pretty good lunch menu, too - the beef commercials are awesome, and the pies are home-made.

If you've been to other locally-organized gun shows, you probably won't be too surprised at the vendors. If you've only been to MWCA shows (which are probably the best run anywhere), then this won't be the same thing. For someone in the metro area, the two things that make the Wells show stand out would be the commercials and the fact that it's held at a school. If there was nothing else going on, it's a cool way to spend a Saturday or Sunday.

If I had to chose between the MWCA show at the Mayo Civic Center next weekend (which is 30 minutes away) and Wells (which is 2 hours away), there's very little incentive (effectively none) for me to go to Wells. I expect any of the vendors or attendees from the metro will be thinking the same thing.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby MNman on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:24 am

The Wells show is in the new school and will be held in one common area so it will be more convenient to view tables. This show has something for everybody which some complain about but as a vendor I see far more women here than any of the other shows I attend. I have noticed a declining vendor attendance at some of the shows but at the Wells show it has had a waiting list for tables. The new school will have more room for tables so this show might actually grow each year concerning vendors. I personally would prefer attending this show over the Coliseum in St Paul and if I see "non firearm" items at the Wells show so what, this show grows each year and that is a good thing in my opinion. Their is one motel in town {Wells Inn} nothing fancy and a few rooms are available. This is the largest gun show in the area and I enjoy the small town attitude that prevails here. This show more than doubles the population here and adds to the economy of a small agricultural community. MNman
MNman

Postby westhope on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 pm

For someone in the metro area, the two things that make the Wells show stand out would be the commercials and the fact that it's held at a school.

For those of you that may not know, I believe the "commercials" referred to above are the "Beef Commercials" served for lunch, not advertising.

As said, there is usually more than just guns and ammo at previous shows, so my wife usually also attends. Other stuff consists of crafts, coins, antiques, and misc. junk.

Getting lost in the maze of the old school was 1/2 the fun. For me, it is much closer than the MWCA show.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:49 pm

I have remained silent on the type of show the Wells show is, as I am the new President of the club and feel I am somewhat biased. It is a fun show with lots to see. The food is all homemade from the the "commercials" to the pies and is run by the club also. The new school will be a great venue for us, with more room between tables and isles. Parking is going to be "interesting" and as this is our first year there will be a learning experience. Thank you all for the kind words about the show and hope to see you all there. Come hungry.
Thanks
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby westhope on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Directions to the new school?
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Continue south on Hwy 22 past the old school to the south end of town. West side of 22 just past city park, follow the signs :)
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby hornswaggle on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:23 pm

I like the Well's show and have been taking the drive from near Rochester for several years. It's true that if you are a hard core, firearms-only enthusiast you probably won't be impressed but I like the diversity of stuff there. It's a very family friendly event too and there is something for everyone's interest. I'll miss not getting lost in the hallways and walking past the same tables three different times.
Kevin

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, Always control the muzzle, Know your target and what is beyond it...

Either you like bacon or you're wrong....
hornswaggle

Postby OldmanFCSA on Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:52 pm

I enjoy the Wells show even with the drive from Wisconsin.
OldmanFCSA

Postby wasfuzz on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:49 pm

Bump
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby westhope on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:48 pm

Reminder this weekend!
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby wasfuzz on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:09 pm

any body coming to the show, stop at the Club table right inside the doors and ask for me I will be around the area some were.
Donn
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
WI,IA Conceal Carry
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Next

Return to Other Events