Looking for a place to train/shoot

Other events and get togethers

Re: Looking for a place to train/shoot

Postby DanM on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:52 am

usnret wrote:Pretty much the only thing that we don't let you do at our club is shoot targets on the ground,glass, and tracers.
Tanerite...have a blast
Run and gun....have fun

All this for only one low price of $35.00 a year.
We are located just north of Bird Island.

It would help if you mention the name/location of the club. My google-fu found Renville Rangers Shooting Club about 90 miles west of Minneapolis via 212. That the one?
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby usnret on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Why yes it is
I did say where it is..... North of Bird Island
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:02 pm

MJY65 wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:Where is everyone shooting that makes you shoot from the bench?

I don't think I've ever seen a range that requires you to "bench" a pistol, but most require you to stay at your position or station rather than moving across the line or advancing downrange. Doing otherwise would monopolize the range and force other shooters to wait. Many also prohibit anything other than paper targets fastened to stands that must be left at predetermined positions/yardages.

Most of the ranges I shoot at you would get a bay to yourself. Gopher campfire has two bays(weekdays are best to get your own), Beaverbrook currently has something like 7-8 pistol bays, GRRC, 3 plus you can use the black powder range. MN H&H you can reserve an entire range to yourself. Other clubs that would have comp bays would be Minnetonka(4 bays?) , and Forest lake(they need to be reserved ahead of time I believe), I'm not sure how many bays they are up to now, 4+/-??. All of these clubs allow steel with the exception of Forest Lake but I believe steel is allowed in the comp bays but don't quote me on that.

Otherwise there are a couple gravel pits north of town. But if anybody else shows up things can get a little harry. You can shoot in state forests as well but I have not found many good clearings that you can drive up to. With ranges as cheap as $34-40 per year it is hardly worth going to a state forest.
Sigfan220

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:30 pm

If you want to do some great fight focused training, come out to some QSI classes.

http://www.qsitraining.net

On your own, I'm not sure what options are out there, but it sounds like there are some possibilities.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Postby Wrigley556 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:04 pm

usnret wrote:Pretty much the only thing that we don't let you do at our club is shoot targets on the ground,glass, and tracers.
Tanerite...have a blast
Run and gun....have fun

All this for only one low price of $35.00 a year.
We are located just north of Bird Island.

This sounds right up my alley. Not into tannerite, or full mag dumps, or screwing around. I simply wanna practice defensive drills from concealment/working from a holster at the minimum. I WOULD LOVE to be able to shoot rifle/pistol transitions on the move etc by engaging multiple targets. Its 2 hours away though =(

mmcnx2 wrote:The only folks going to let you move and shoot are the USPSA and IPDA leagues. Join one.

Guys dont get me wrong, I have been involved in USPSA and IDPA back in CA quite a bit, I got my fix, in fact I still shoot USPSA quite a bit, IDPA not so much, too many damn rule changes, and for being a "defensive" competition, the rules were very stupid at times.

usnret wrote:It would help if we knew where you are located.

I'm located in Dakota County, Lakeville, MN

Sorcerer wrote:Check out Beaver Brook Sportsmans club. They added 5 more bays this last summer. You will need to become a member. Then you can work on frozen hand mag changes. If you want some indoor action the Bills north gun shop and range run a modified IPSC as does Burnsville gun range. Twin City Action Shooting runs a winter IDPA at Metro gun club once a month.

I have been to Bills several times now, shooting indoor in a lane (yuck) I have yet to check out there USPSA "ish" match they hold 1st and 3rd thursdays of each month. The only thing is its at night, 6-10pm thats really hard for me to do, and for 1 stage?? Not worth it in my opinion, I have to be out the door at 5am for work the next morning, I am planning on giving it a shot (no pun intended) in the near future just to see what its all about.

MJY65 wrote:
mmcnx2 wrote:The only folks going to let you move and shoot are the USPSA and IPDA leagues. Join one.

That may be his only option at this point, but not sure that's what he's looking for. It sounds like he would like to shoot his own course, informally and when his schedule allows. The only way that seems possible is to buy land with understanding neighbors and set it up for your own use.

Yes I seriously would love to have a few acres out in the middle of no where and get a tractor and build a few nice berms to shoot up against. It would be heaven for me, but yea thats not going to happen any time soon lol .

Sigfan220 wrote: Most of the ranges I shoot at you would get a bay to yourself. Gopher campfire has two bays(weekdays are best to get your own), Beaverbrook currently has something like 7-8 pistol bays, GRRC, 3 plus you can use the black powder range. MN H&H you can reserve an entire range to yourself. Other clubs that would have comp bays would be Minnetonka(4 bays?) , and Forest lake(they need to be reserved ahead of time I believe), I'm not sure how many bays they are up to now, 4+/-??. All of these clubs allow steel with the exception of Forest Lake but I believe steel is allowed in the comp bays but don't quote me on that.

Otherwise there are a couple gravel pits north of town. But if anybody else shows up things can get a little harry. You can shoot in state forests as well but I have not found many good clearings that you can drive up to. With ranges as cheap as $34-40 per year it is hardly worth going to a state forest.

Gravel pits? Is this like abandoned mines or something?

Guys, I wanna say THANK YOU so much for all the responses and information, I truly appreciate it. I will try to look into all of these. On that note, any mobile people willing to shoot with me, defensive drills, etc?
Wrigley556

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:22 am

+1 for IDPA. Fun fun fun.
Pat Cannon

Postby usnret on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:41 am

IDPA = I Don't Practice A lot

Get the Steel Shoot dates off of this forum and show up for some fun. It is pretty much Steel Challenge format with some twists.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Pat Cannon on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:04 am

usnret wrote:IDPA = I Don't Practice A lot

Get the Steel Shoot dates off of this forum and show up for some fun. It is pretty much Steel Challenge format with some twists.

Definitely on the steel shoots. The only trouble with the steel shoots is, they're only once a month. IDPA, you could do three times a week in the spring/summer/fall. Or USPSA if you're a gamer. ;)
Pat Cannon

Postby Erik_Pakieser on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:18 pm

We do movement in all of our classes.
Fight-focused defensive handgun, rifle, and shotgun training
http://www.facebook.com/qsifirearms
Erik_Pakieser

Previous

Return to Other Events