Looking for a place to train/shoot

Other events and get togethers

Looking for a place to train/shoot

Postby Wrigley556 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:02 pm

So I am glad to have moved here from CA, but my biggest issue is obviously things and hobbies tend to hault or slow down in the winter months out here for obvious reasons.

Anyhow my main issue is that I really cant seem to find a place to train =(

So out in CA I lived in the High Desert areas, somewhat mountainous, vast desert landscapes, a haven for OHV's, dirtbikes etc. AND shooting!
I was usually able to drive out in the middle of no where, find a good "cove" and shoot into a mountain. We would set up full on 3 gun stages, defensive type scenarios etc. Usually with pistol and rifle (AR platforms mostly).

When I say "we" it was usually myself and a good buddy (who did not move to MN) so unfortunately finding people that like to train in defensive type scenarios, 2 gun, 3 gun "run and gun" type scenarios is really hard to find. With that said I am finding it also very difficult to find a place that allows that type of shooting. Look I get it, theirs snow on the ground, its cold etc, out door ranges sometimes shut down during winter months, that's fine. What I am noticing though is even most outdoor ranges don't allow anyone to shoot from a holster or concealment, they don't allow any movement during shooting (multiple targets, multiple shooting stances) all you can really do is shoot from a bench. NOT FUN. AT ALL. WASTE OF TIME. WASTE OF AMMO.

Okay I might offend a ton of people by saying that, and I apologize in advance for what I am about to say, but for being a state that issues so many permit to carry licenses, how many of you get a chance to train on a weekly basis from holster, from concealment???? I'm not talking about dry practice in your basement unloaded, yes that's good but in my opinion defensive carry or even shooting in general is a perishable skill. We carry our weapons in the event we have to use them to defend ourselves or family/loved ones, we better be able to hit what were aiming at in extremely high stress environments. I can only assume hardly anyone gets to practice this skill very often from the amount of ranges that do NOT allow it. I'm sorry but shooting in an indoor crowded range, behind a bench does nothing for me really. Yes I can practice marksmanship, gun quality, malfunction assessments etc. but for real world defensive training what does MN have to offer a person like me that's looking to scratch that itch?

Sorry for being so long winded but I really just would love to find a place that lets me practice defensive scenarios, some staged environment skills practices etc. I have all my own equipment as well, just need to find a place to shoot at. Is anyone on here interested in such kind of training? When I say training, I am not talking about going to Gander mountain and sit in a class and pay a ton of money to someone to show my what I already know. Also not trying to sound like a total pompus dooshbag, just really would love to find a place to keep my skills up, and do what I love to do.
Wrigley556

Re: Looking for a place to train/shoot

Postby MJY65 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:01 pm

What you are describing used to exist. You could go to a gravel pit or state land and have fun. Now, most places are posted and locked up. As you've found, most ranges are pretty restrictive with their rules unless you are participating in an official match of some kind. I'm not aware of any that will let you set up your own scenarios.
MJY65

Postby hammAR on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:54 pm

This was once a free state and you could do what you asked about, until the Dems took over..............
But then you just came from Kali - so you know where all freedom is headed................. :busy:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Rodentman on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:14 pm

I completely disagree that shooting from a bench is "NOT FUN. AT ALL. WASTE OF TIME. WASTE OF AMMO."
Rodentman

Postby usnret on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:42 pm

It would help if we knew where you are located.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:45 pm

The only folks going to let you move and shoot are the USPSA and IPDA leagues. Join one.
mmcnx2

Postby Sorcerer on Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:50 pm

Check out Beaver Brook Sportsmans club. They added 5 more bays this last summer. You will need to become a member. Then you can work on frozen hand mag changes. If you want some indoor action the Bills north gun shop and range run a modified IPSC as does Burnsville gun range. Twin City Action Shooting runs a winter IDPA at Metro gun club once a month.
Sorcerer

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:15 pm

Wrigley556 wrote:So I am glad to have moved here from CA, but my biggest issue is obviously things and hobbies tend to hault or slow down in the winter months out here for obvious reasons.

Anyhow my main issue is that I really cant seem to find a place to train =(

So out in CA I lived in the High Desert areas, somewhat mountainous, vast desert landscapes, a haven for OHV's, dirtbikes etc. AND shooting!
I was usually able to drive out in the middle of no where, find a good "cove" and shoot into a mountain. We would set up full on 3 gun stages, defensive type scenarios etc. Usually with pistol and rifle (AR platforms mostly).

When I say "we" it was usually myself and a good buddy (who did not move to MN) so unfortunately finding people that like to train in defensive type scenarios, 2 gun, 3 gun "run and gun" type scenarios is really hard to find. With that said I am finding it also very difficult to find a place that allows that type of shooting. Look I get it, theirs snow on the ground, its cold etc, out door ranges sometimes shut down during winter months, that's fine. What I am noticing though is even most outdoor ranges don't allow anyone to shoot from a holster or concealment, they don't allow any movement during shooting (multiple targets, multiple shooting stances) all you can really do is shoot from a bench. NOT FUN. AT ALL. WASTE OF TIME. WASTE OF AMMO.

Okay I might offend a ton of people by saying that, and I apologize in advance for what I am about to say, but for being a state that issues so many permit to carry licenses, how many of you get a chance to train on a weekly basis from holster, from concealment???? I'm not talking about dry practice in your basement unloaded, yes that's good but in my opinion defensive carry or even shooting in general is a perishable skill. We carry our weapons in the event we have to use them to defend ourselves or family/loved ones, we better be able to hit what were aiming at in extremely high stress environments. I can only assume hardly anyone gets to practice this skill very often from the amount of ranges that do NOT allow it. I'm sorry but shooting in an indoor crowded range, behind a bench does nothing for me really. Yes I can practice marksmanship, gun quality, malfunction assessments etc. but for real world defensive training what does MN have to offer a person like me that's looking to scratch that itch?

Sorry for being so long winded but I really just would love to find a place that lets me practice defensive scenarios, some staged environment skills practices etc. I have all my own equipment as well, just need to find a place to shoot at. Is anyone on here interested in such kind of training? When I say training, I am not talking about going to Gander mountain and sit in a class and pay a ton of money to someone to show my what I already know. Also not trying to sound like a total pompus dooshbag, just really would love to find a place to keep my skills up, and do what I love to do.

Well as of midnight last night you could not even buy a detachable mag rifle in ca so I think you are at least one step ahead moving here.
Holland&Holland

Postby MJY65 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:29 am

mmcnx2 wrote:The only folks going to let you move and shoot are the USPSA and IPDA leagues. Join one.

That may be his only option at this point, but not sure that's what he's looking for. It sounds like he would like to shoot his own course, informally and when his schedule allows. The only way that seems possible is to buy land with understanding neighbors and set it up for your own use.
MJY65

Postby xd ED on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:38 am

Sorcerer wrote:Check out Beaver Brook Sportsmans club. They added 5 more bays this last summer. You will need to become a member. Then you can work on frozen hand mag changes. If you want some indoor action the Bills north gun shop and range run a modified IPSC as does Burnsville gun range. Twin City Action Shooting runs a winter IDPA at Metro gun club once a month.

BeaverBrook is worth checking out.
It's changed since I was a member (range expansion, more involved joining procedure), but a superbly safe place for action pistol.
Right time of year to join, as well.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby farmerj on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:15 am

Too many idiots shooting up gun ranges and neighbors complaints about noise have all but shut down most of that activity.

If it does happen, it's not really advertised it's happening or shared.

Rainbow sportsman club you could driver right up to the shooting bench's. Dumbasses going in and rutting the place up when it was wet ruined it for every one. Now they have designated and blocked off parking areas.

Neighbors complaints on tannerite got that banned. The list goes on.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby MJY65 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:39 am

farmerj wrote:Too many idiots shooting up gun ranges and neighbors complaints about noise have all but shut down most of that activity.

That's it. Shooters have trended toward activities that involve higher volumes of fire (You Tube mag dumps, etc) and neighbors are less likely to be shooters themselves, the two worlds have grown farther apart and less compatible with each other. I like to complain about it and long for the good old days as much as the next guy, but they're not coming back.
MJY65

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:53 am

Where is everyone shooting that makes you shoot from the bench? I shoot localy at MNH&H, gopher campfire, GRRC, rainbow Sportsman's, and beaverbrook. The only one that I think may be restricted is GRRC. If you shoot IDPA o USPSA I think they let you draw from a holster. Nobody has ever said anything to me anyway.

I would recommend any of the clubs listed above. GRRC would be my last recommendation for shooting on the move. The others are all great for that. I would suggest gopher campfire if you are on a budget.
Sigfan220

Postby MJY65 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:12 am

Sigfan220 wrote:Where is everyone shooting that makes you shoot from the bench?

I don't think I've ever seen a range that requires you to "bench" a pistol, but most require you to stay at your position or station rather than moving across the line or advancing downrange. Doing otherwise would monopolize the range and force other shooters to wait. Many also prohibit anything other than paper targets fastened to stands that must be left at predetermined positions/yardages.
MJY65

Postby usnret on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:34 am

Pretty much the only thing that we don't let you do at our club is shoot targets on the ground,glass, and tracers.
Tanerite...have a blast
Run and gun....have fun

All this for only one low price of $35.00 a year.
We are located just north of Bird Island.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Next

Return to Other Events