Minnesota DNR Firearm Auction April 29th

Other events and get togethers

Minnesota DNR Firearm Auction April 29th

Postby karlobag on Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:20 am

Seems like "something for everyone". Even a pallet load of antlers! See lot 533......

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

Good Morning! Saturday, April 29, 2017 is the State of Minnesota DNR Firearm auction. It is an outdoor live auction that starts at 9 a.m. There are close to 400 Shotguns and Rifles, 100 bows & crossbows, fishing tackle, traps, deer mounts and more. The auction catalog has been posted on the auctioneer’s website, with the selling order. It is printable. If you want a catalog with you the day of the sale you must print one. They will not be handed out at the auction.

Here is the link to the auction catalog: http://www.hillerauction.com/DNR%20catalog%202017.pdf

The auction is being held at:
Hiller Auction Service
10785 261st Avenue
Zimmerman, MN
Last edited by karlobag on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Re: Minnesota DNR Firearm Auction April 29th

Postby VMAX97 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:31 am

Were these taken from hunters?
VMAX97

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:37 am

Anyone ever go to one of these? Deals to be had or does everything go for pretty good money?
grimbeaver

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:50 am

There are at least a couple of threads in the archives here talking about past auctions.

Scuttlebutt is that the auction tends to get out of hand and you are best off looking through the catalog, finding items of interest, researching thoroughly so you know what they should be worth and not get caught up in a bidding war. Some guys show up to buy their confiscated equipment back.

I believe everything in the auction was seized as part of enforcement activities.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:59 am

I see "permit required" on only 3 items. Two sks and one 5.56 rifle I know nothing about (assume AR?). Does nobody f up with an AR? Lots of shotguns.
Ghost

Postby karlobag on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:48 pm

My usual luck with auctions like this, is that whatever I want is either the last or one of the last items to be auctioned, so I have to stand around for hours waiting to put in a bid. Then, more times than not, some person bids up the item over the retail price, so I end up not buying anything. If anyone goes to it, please report back here.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:13 am

I don't do gun auctions anymore. There might be deals to be had, but in my experience, everything worth bidding on sells for at or above new retail price.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby BigBlue on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 am

Do people go in THAT poorly educated on the market value of what they might be bidding on or is an auction just that major of a mind-fsck that it causes rational people to do irrational things? Is it the competitive nature of bidding that does it?

No matter the venue for purchase, if I'm dealing with pretty much anything I do my research and know what going rates are.

BB
BigBlue

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 am

Many years ago, when live auctions were common, I outfitted my shop mostly by buying used tools and equipment.
My personal rule was never pay more than 50% of retail.
Early on in the process I learned to not attend auctions on weekends. The 'mom & pops' (particularly the moms) had next to no self discipline, or common sense when it came to outbidding any competition for that thing they wanted.
The auctioneers really knew how to play them as well.
Gov't auctions seem to be the worst.
Everyone bent on getting a screaming deal ran the prices up beyond silly.
Even though I have other plans this weekend, I wouldn't go much farther than across the street to attend a Saturday gun auction like this one.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby usnret on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:28 pm

BigBlue wrote:Do people go in THAT poorly educated on the market value of what they might be bidding on or is an auction just that major of a mind-fsck that it causes rational people to do irrational things? Is it the competitive nature of bidding that does it?

No matter the venue for purchase, if I'm dealing with pretty much anything I do my research and know what going rates are.

BB

A lot of the people at these auctions are the same people that lost their stuff due to a violation and want it back, no matter the cost.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby hard h2o on Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:18 pm

I went to the St. Paul police auction a couple of times. Same thing as has been mentioned. People bid way more than items were worth. The only thing I ever bought and won on were a couple of gun cases.

If this one were closer in to my AO I might go just to check it out but with what I have seen at these types of events plus the drive it is not worth my time.
hard h2o

Postby grimbeaver on Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 am

Anyone go last Saturday and have a report on how it was?
grimbeaver

Postby MJY65 on Mon May 01, 2017 6:40 am

Is all of the inventory actually the result of a fine/conviction, or is this the DNR's version of "asset forfeiture" where they take the items and never press charges?
MJY65

Return to Other Events