Delta 2017 at Ahlman's

Other events and get togethers

Delta 2017 at Ahlman's

Postby Scratch on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:21 am

A couple weeks ago, a friend and I went to a two day, 3 gun event at Ahlman's guns in southern Minnesota called Delta 2017.Image

I've never been there before, but this place was pretty cool! It had an old west feel with mock buildings set up all over the place. Even the bays of the gun range were setup with mock building fronts, lining what looked like an old west street. Here's some still shots taken from a video I made:Image

The first day was a training day where we got a little training from some instructors they brought in, on shotgun, rifle, and pistol. The second day was all about the 17 different stages set up all over the range.
Here's one of the bays... the marshal's office complete with jail cell!Image

And the state prison overlooking a marshy area filled with like 20 steel targets at different ranges.Image

There were baricades set up at some of the bays to shoot from too.Image

Shot up vehicles were scattered a plenty to shoot in... on... or through like this!Image

This was one of only two timed pistol stages. None of the rest were timed... they were just for fun, and you could shoot as much or as little as you wanted at each stage.Image

This stage you shot from the drivers seat of the bus, at the targets outside on the ground.Image

You could even shoot from a toilet! The campgound was within walking distance and there were plenty of people drinking the night before, so I'll let you use your imagination as to what was under the lid in this picture...Image

Some of the stages were shot on top of cars...Image

They even had two zip lines setup, this one over water, that you used to transition from shotgun to your rifle!Image

And no shooting event would be complete, unless you get to shoot from on top of a tank! Image

Alex Pro Firearms had a booth set up with a bunch of NFA AR15's where you could shoot 3 round burst, supressors, even full auto... for free. You just used your mags and ammo!Image

The guys from the Appleseed Project also had a little booth set up to give a small sample of what it 's like to shoot at an Applessed event.Image

Somehow I managed to shoot the best target they said they'd seen all weekend! (they probably tell everyone that...)Image

There were cool buildings and props all over the property like the Artillery Supply Depot...Image

The Chemical Weapons Storage facility...Image

Even these empty coffins... this one was just the right size for my buddy.Image

The campground was situated in and around this old colonial style fort that had watchtowers on all four corners, and a central building that was setup as a bar. We pitched our tent right beside the bar... less distance to stumble...Image

The first night, they fed us a huge pulled pork dinner in this big barn. They also had vendors there selling accessories, knives, and steel targets. Both nights included all the free beer you could drink, and lots of door prizes too!Image

Here's a video I made showing more of the weekends festivities... Thanks for watching!
https://youtu.be/jHp0F2KicLs

[youtube=http://www.youtu.be/jHp0F2KicLs][/youtube]
Last edited by Scratch on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Delta 2017 at Ahlman's

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:27 am

Very cool event!
gun_fan111v2

Re: Delta 2017 at Ahlman's

Postby Ghost on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:20 pm

That looks like a lot of fun
Ghost

Postby westhope on Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:19 pm

Ahlman's "Shooter'd Round-Up" is August 26 & 27. If you never have been there, it is a must see for shooters.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:06 pm

What level of shooter does it cater to?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Scratch on Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:54 am

yukonjasper wrote:What level of shooter does it cater to?

In my opinion, I think it was catered more to any shooter who usually shoots at a standard range, where they don't get to shoot at steel, don't get to shoot fast, no movement, etc... There weren't any (?) targets that were over maybe 30 yards (even rifle) and I think every target was static steel. They let you shoot as much as you want, as fast as you want, at all kinds of cool targets with very cool stage setups. (Zip lines, vehicles, golf carts, tank, bus, etc...) The whole atmosphere was very casual and relaxed, focusing on letting the shooter have a fun unique experience that they may not get to shoot much, and honestly... there were a lot of shooters that missed a lot of their targets, so they were either new shooters, or don't usually get much range time. They may have spent a lot of time on that specific stage trying to hit their steel targets, but nobody cared, and they had a great time.

It might get boring for someone who shoots competition, or trains with a timer, since there was really no way to test yourself or train on any combat or competitive skills. Not many or any... of the targets were knockdown or repainted, so it was sometimes hard to tell if you actually hit the target since there was so much shooting in close proximity. Of course not having to reset any targets kept people shooting rather than having to go cold range and reset.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Return to Other Events