Game Fair?

Other events and get togethers

Game Fair?

Postby FJ540 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:22 pm

Anyone going?

How's gimp parking up there?

I've got a new-to-me 2yr old dog I'd like to train for hunting and think it's finally time I checked this shindig out.
FJ540

Re: Game Fair?

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:56 pm

It's worth it but it can get crowded. I haven't been for a couple of years but used to try to get there early for close parking (be prepared to pay ). It is worth the effort.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I've been going for over a decade and there is no official handicap parking because the event itself offs no parking. So parking is via home owners along the entrance road. If you get there about 30 minutes before the doors open you can get a pretty close spot form the home owner right before the entrance on the right. Lots of kennels that offer training, much like any service there are good and bad, Check them out carefully. If you are training a retriever you will have many more options over a pointer.
mmcnx2

Postby FJ540 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:25 pm

I'm doing the training myself, and he's a black-mouth Cur (hound breed). He already points at the door that the cats are behind. :rotf: We're working on learning "fetch" (sometimes he'll play, sometimes he'll chase the object and then just leave it when it stops moving).

I'm thinking about electric collar options (audible/vibrate/shock) to help with barking and compliance. He's real good about behaving while I'm present, but it goes out the window as soon as I'm no longer in view. Part of that could be that we haven't "bonded" long enough yet (today is day 14 of our relationship), or that he's been incarcerated in shelters for the past 6 months and he's just insecure. When he first came home he was terrified of walking on the linoleum floors, so I don't know if he was in an abusive/strict house before getting loose/abandoned, or if he just freaked about how it felt on his feet. He was fine on hardwoods and carpet. We've overcome that aversion and now he makes a cruise through the kitchen to sniff for crumbs (one of the words I've been working on with him). Our cats all know "crumb" and he should too. :)

He's good with sit/stay/drop/come. We're learning "on your feet" and "get it".

Vinnie was picked up by animal control in rural mid-northern Florida and was scheduled to be put down when a no-kill shelter took him in, then 5 months later he was transferred up here to Animal Humane Society and spent a month there before I found him. They think he's 2yrs 2mo's, but who knows how accurate that is. He's a great dog!
FJ540

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:55 pm

All the big name collar companies shave a booth. Great place to see them all and talk to factory rep's about features. Prices might be a littel higher than on the net but they typically throw in some spiff like hat or shirt to give you a little something extra. Each brand has some unique features so look at them all before you buy, you may not even know what you want until they tell you what these collars can all do.
mmcnx2

Postby FJ540 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:55 pm

That's what I was thinking.

I ended up working on burning some brush in my backyard today and might be effed up tomorrow (I'm effed up now :( ) from it. Maybe I'll have to try for the game fair next weekend.
FJ540

Postby bstrawse on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:40 pm

I usually park in the large home w/ the open field -- last available turn on the right hand side before reaching the Game Fair entrance. Parking was $5 on Saturday -- it offers the shortest walk to the front entrance :)

Be sure to stop by the Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus booth while you're there!

b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby FJ540 on Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:59 pm

Just had more injections in my knees and am supposed to take it easy. Maybe next year.
FJ540

Return to Other Events