Eclipse

Other events and get togethers

Re: Eclipse

Postby Scratch on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:38 am

We made it down to about a 1/4 mile off the very center of the totality in Lathrop Missouri, but the clouds blocked our view of it. :x We did get to see some of the partial as the sun poked it's way through the clouds beforehand, but they didn't clear up enough during the moment. It sure got dark though.

By the way, the traffic to and from wasn't bad at all. The only backups we saw anywhere were due to construction and an accident. Both far from the event. We parked for free in a gas station parking lot with lots of others. It was still fun.

Thanks again for the ride Lumpy!
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby jdege on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:41 am

jdege

Postby Squib Joe on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 am

i STARD @Qt th sun fr ove two minTE ddnt hurT ees a aLL
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Ghost on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 am

Scratch wrote:We made it down to about a 1/4 mile off the very center of the totality in Lathrop Missouri, but the clouds blocked our view of it. :x We did get to see some of the partial as the sun poked it's way through the clouds beforehand, but they didn't clear up enough during the moment. It sure got dark though.

By the way, the traffic to and from wasn't bad at all. The only backups we saw anywhere were due to construction and an accident. Both far from the event. We parked for free in a gas station parking lot with lots of others. It was still fun.

Thanks again for the ride Lumpy!

Was able to watch from Northern Iowa up until the peak then clouds blocked it.

I let a family use an extra welding lens I had and they offered to buy it. I told them they could have it since it only cost $3 but they insisted on giving me $20 for it. Payed for lunch.

Enjoyed watching the eclipse with my 3 year old.
Ghost

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:04 am

I slept right through it. My wife said we couldn't see much of it due to clouds. I guess I didn't miss much :shock:

Besides, I saw the one in 1979 in "totality" ;) Hopefully, I'll catch the next one in 2024
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Erud on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 am

We were in Marshall, MO, and Just caught it. It was cloudy all day up until about 3 minutes before the total eclipse, then a break in the clouds rolled through. The timing could not have worked out better. It was pretty spectacular, definitely worth the trip. We did get caught in traffic on the way home, but was definitely made much worse by the construction in Iowa. I35 went down to single lane in about 8 different spots, of no apparent reason mostly. On one of them I could clearly see that an overpass was being worked on, but the rest seemed like just a couple miles wort of cones blocking a lane with no work being done. In between construction zones 75 mph was no problem, but 30+ minute delay at every one made for a long drive home. Oh well, I sort of figured that was going to be the case...
Erud

Postby smurfman on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Watched the partial from just north of The Cities- or at least what could be seen through the clouds. The most noticeable event was listening to the Sandhills Cranes in the back yard kick up a ruckus as the light faded. A dozen or so trilling for all they are worth gets pretty loud and irritating. At least it last for only a short time..
smurfman

Postby Lumpy on Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 pm

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Monday April 8 2024. The nearest spot from the Twin Cities on the line of totality will be southeast Missouri, about a ten or eleven hour road trip, 2:00 P.M. local time.

Has anyone made plans? On my own I figure I would have to drive down the day before, get a room, watch the eclipse Monday, then split the trip back into two legs, get home Tuesday. Unless anyone would like to get together on a carpool/bus?
Lumpy

Postby jdege on Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:09 pm

Lumpy wrote:HERE WE GO AGAIN

Monday April 8 2024. The nearest spot from the Twin Cities on the line of totality will be southeast Missouri, about a ten or eleven hour road trip, 2:00 P.M. local time.

Has anyone made plans? On my own I figure I would have to drive down the day before, get a room, watch the eclipse Monday, then split the trip back into two legs, get home Tuesday. Unless anyone would like to get together on a carpool/bus?

I have a friend in Killeen Texas who has offered to put me up for a couple of days.

I checked on hotels and found nothing. Everything was booked months ago.
jdege

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:50 pm

I booked a suite (I am bringing a lot of family) in Dallas a year ago (reservations typically can be made 355 days in advance) for $120/night. Checked a few days ago, rooms (not suits) are still available at twice that price. I considered San Antonio, but it's a substantially longer drive, 18 hours instead of 14; I can just make 1000 miles in a day, 1200 would be a stretch. Missouri would be four hours shorter drive, but there is considerably greater chance of clouds than in Texas; Mexico would be the best, cloud-wise. Last time I missed the totality because of the clouds, didn't do my homework.
Based on my experience in 2017, the entire interstate system will be clogged the evening of the eclipse, so I am planning staying an extra day and returning 4/9.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Postby Lumpy on Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:23 pm

IvanTheTerribleShot wrote:Based on my experience in 2017, the entire interstate system will be clogged the evening of the eclipse, so I am planning staying an extra day and returning 4/9.

Huh. In 2017 I went down to Missouri three days early because they were predicting the worst traffic jams in all of history. Didn't see that at all.
Lumpy

Postby IvanTheTerribleShot on Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:02 pm

On 8/21/2017, I caught up with traffic just south of Des Moines, and it took me 7 or 8 hours to get from there to the cities.
IvanTheTerribleShot

Previous

Return to Other Events