Carrying on Campus

Firearms related political discussion forum

Carrying on Campus

Postby Wadero on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:35 pm

Does anyone know if any colleges allow carrying on campus in the metro area. I am not a student right now as I have some more Army training to complete but would like to know for when I get back.

I have looked at some of the private universities and they all have clear policies against it. If there are no colleges that allow it, are there any groups working for reform that I could help out?
“You were born free, you got f***ed out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it.” -- Doug Stanhope
Wadero

Re: Carrying on Campus

Postby hammAR on Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:57 pm

First, welcome to the board...............and thanks for your service.

Second, I can not fine the exact rules and regulations, however to summarize, I believe that both the U of M and MNSCU* schools all have a similar feelings that students and faculty can not carry guns on campus............I looked in our Reference section and did not find the specific information to help you, but I am sure that some of our more distinguished colleges will soon chime in........ :lol:

MNSCU being all of the colleges and tech schools other that the U of M and Private colleges...............
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Konaseven on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:43 pm

hammAR wrote: but I am sure that some of our more distinguished colleges will soon chime in........ :lol:

MNSCU being all of the colleges and tech schools other that the U of M and Private colleges...............

I'm not sure I resemble that remark! :) :)

I work at a MNSCU college and am familiar with the weapons policy. It can be found in its entirety here.

Subpart B. Students.

1. Prohibition. Students are prohibited from possessing or carrying a firearm while on System property, regardless of whether the student has a permit to carry a firearm, except as otherwise provided in this policy.

Visitors are not prohibited from carrying.
Part 4. Exceptions.

Subpart A. Parking areas. This policy does not prohibit the lawful possession or carry of firearms in a parking area or parking facility.

Subpart B. Authorized uses. This policy does not prohibit:

1. Lawful possession or carry related to an academic use or use at a campus shooting range, such as law enforcement programs, approved in writing by the college or university president; or
2. Transport of an unloaded firearm directly between a parking area or parking facility and the location authorized for its use, or transport of an unloaded firearm directly between a parking area or parking facility and a storage facility provided by the college or university.
3. Possession or carry of a pistol by a visitor who has a lawful permit to carry a pistol pursuant to Minnesota Statutes section 624.714, subd. 1a (see related documents below).

Nothing in this policy requires a college or university to provide storage facilities for employees' or students' weapons.

However, some campuses have policies on their books that are more restrictive than the MNSCU policy, despite the following;
Part 9. Effect. In the event any other System, college, university or Office of the Chancellor policy or procedure is found to be in conflict with this policy, the terms of this policy shall govern.

Good Luck
Konaseven

Postby hammAR on Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks for the bail-out Konaseven, you are indeed distinguished......... :D
for an unarmed person................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby justaguy on Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Last edited by justaguy on Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWTNSTKBLD
(What Would The Navy SEALs That Killed Bin Laden Do)
justaguy

Postby EAJuggalo on Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:17 pm

The only places that allow you to carry without any administrative punishment is any school in Utah or Colorado State University. At least that I can recall hearing about.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby DeanC on Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:40 am

I'd strongly consider Capella if it has a degree program that fits your desires. The campus is whatever you want it to be. The main offices are not posted.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Postby Wadero on Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:39 pm

I don't really dig on the online university. I've completed 3 semesters at traditional school already.

...and justaguy, believe it or not I am an officer. Turns out the Army just gives those commissions away.
“You were born free, you got f***ed out of half of it, and you wave a flag celebrating it.” -- Doug Stanhope
Wadero

Postby Konaseven on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:58 am

hammAR wrote:Thanks for the bail-out Konaseven, you are indeed distinguished......... :D
for an unarmed person................ :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Let's see... with school shootings..... at least I am only unarmed at the most likely venue of attack. :roll: :roll:

:)
Konaseven

Return to Politics