Brady Campaign Applauds Senator Biden

Firearms related political discussion forum

Brady Campaign Applauds Senator Biden

Postby hammAR on Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:59 am

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/ne...se,207955.shtml

Brady Campaign Applauds Senator Biden's Anti-Crime Package

WASHINGTON, Oct. 25 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, praised U.S. Senator Joseph Biden of Delaware for today introducing comprehensive anti-crime legislation including a federal assault weapons ban and an end to the loophole allowing gun sales at gun shows without a Brady background check.

"Our country can't be tough on crime without being tough on guns. Many of our communities are under attack by thugs with assault weapons, and we must get these killing machines off our streets," Helmke said. "We are very grateful for Senator Biden's leadership in cracking down on crime and gun violence. The proposals should be welcome news to police leaders and families who are facing an onslaught of violent gun crimes."

The International Association of Chiefs of Police has called for passage of another assault weapon ban to replace the ban that expired in 2004. "We are seeing a huge increase in the number of AK-47s on the street," Miami Police Chief John Timoney told USA Today. "It reminds me of the early '90s back in New York... Here we are again." Groups like the panel appointed by Virginia Governor Tim Kaine have called for background checks on all gun sales at gun shows.

Senator Biden was a key player in the fight for the federal assault weapons ban that passed in 1994. He also worked hard for passage of the Brady Law, which has since blocked gun sales to more than 1.4 million felons and other prohibited purchasers. He has also been active on previous efforts to close the gun show loophole.

For continuing insight and comment on the gun issue, read Paul Helmke's blog at http://www.bradycampaign.org/blog/. And visit the Brady Campaign website at http://www.bradycampaign.org/.

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, working with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Re: Brady Campaign Applauds Senator Biden

Postby Thor on Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:37 am

Just out of curiosity, is it possible that the criminals have learned that most rifles will defeat most body armor that the cops wear?? That may very well be the reason we're seeing an increase in rifle use.
Thor

Postby Fiery Red XIII on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:57 am

Thor wrote:Just out of curiosity, is it possible that the criminals have learned that most rifles will defeat most body armor that the cops wear?? That may very well be the reason we're seeing an increase in rifle use.

That'd make too much sense...Facts don't matter to Brady, or to Biden for that matter...I will not give up my legally purchased DPMS, and if I do become LEO, I will not seek out legally owned ones to confiscate them either, I swear.

Red
Fiery Red XIII

Postby tt3 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:06 pm

I guess I should get one before they become banned huh? Any one interested in giving me a run down on them at Bill's some evening? :lol:
Or does my 870 with the short barrel and composite stock qualify as an assault weapon? :roll:
tt3

Postby Pat on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:37 pm

tt3 wrote:I guess I should get one before they become banned huh? Any one interested in giving me a run down on them at Bill's some evening? :lol:
Or does my 870 with the short barrel and composite stock qualify as an assault weapon? :roll:

Actually Bill's has some pretty good deals on AR's right now. Very reasonable.

As I was looking at some of the used long guns at Cabela's yesterday afternoon, I was shocked at how much they were asking. Bill's sells the same gun I was looking at for $200 less, and it's new to boot!
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:44 pm

tt3 wrote:I guess I should get one before they become banned huh? Any one interested in giving me a run down on them at Bill's some evening? :lol:

The problem is they don't have to ban them. All they have to do is threaten to ban them and the prices will skyrocket.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Return to Politics