Guns on your Holday list?

Firearms related political discussion forum

Guns on your Holday list?

Postby TC95GT on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:25 pm

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/edi ... 941.column

Do Guns Belong On Holiday List?
Frank Harris III November 30, 2007 Guns don't shoot by themselves — this I know.

Invariably, there is some finger attached to a hand attached to an arm attached to a body and within it a beating heart and a human mind — whether sober or sane, crazed or in pain — that leads to the big boom, crack or bang that sends a bullet or two or three or more hurtling toward the target.

Sometimes it is justified; sometimes not.
Whatever the circumstance, I was stunned to see the gun advertisement on the back cover of an insert in a New Haven newspaper. On the front cover were the words "holiday gift guide" featuring pictures of DVDs, CDs, toys and apparel.

On that back cover, however, was a full-page ad for handguns, complete with list price, sale price and "4 high capacity magazines PLUS $50 cash back with (a) mail-in rebate."

Topping it off was the illustration of a gunslinger sporting a Western hat with two pistols in his hands. But lest we worry, there were these comforting words just above the name of the gun center that placed this festive ad: "Guns for the Good Guys."

Ah, that makes me feel good. Only the good guys will get these guns.

But good guys are not good all the time. And even if they were, there are those bad guys who wind up with the good guys' guns in their hands through thievery or a cold, hard transaction. (Because good guys like money, too — even if the money comes from bad hands).

In any case, I suppose gun dealers have to earn a living, too. And such guns are not illegal. And the Second Amendment grants Americans the right to bear arms — and not just as a militia to protect the nation's freedom.

The market for guns is certainly out there in this nation of ours, if not to protect our freedom, then to protect our lives and possessions.

According to a Gallup survey conducted in early October 2007, 42 percent of Americans have guns in their homes. That means more than half of Americans are gun-free. But with all the news of violence taking place, the fear factor certainly kicks in — even if the news reports on violence might exceed the actual violence taking place.

Still, with all the perceived violence, 68 percent of Americans surveyed said there should not be a ban on handguns that would limit guns solely to law enforcement and other authorized persons.

Maybe that is because, according to an ABC News poll conducted earlier this year, half of all Americans do not believe stricter handgun laws would lead to a reduction in violence.

Most Americans in that same ABC poll said the primary cause of gun violence is not the proliferation of guns, but rather popular culture and the way families raise their children. Certainly, there is some merit to these positions.

Yes, if only we could stop all those video games, movies, and violent song lyrics and get non-parenting parents to start parenting — we could end this mess without a shot being fired.

So if I could chat with Santa, I'd ask him to have a sit-down with his elves about making all those violence-promoting video games, movies and violent song lyrics. And send a note to those parents too about responsibility.

But at the risk of folks calling me Frankie Grinch or the Gun Scrooge of Christmas, I can't leave out the guns.

Certainly I don't think a gun ad in a family newspaper is what the world needs this holiday season in a nation where, according to the National Education Association's Health Information Network, American children are more at risk from gun violence than children in any other industrialized nation.

Certainly Americans don't need a gun in every stocking when, according to the Centers for Disease control, homicide and suicide are the leading causes of teen deaths, with 80 percent of these deaths resulting from guns.

So if I could pull Santa's beard — without the fear that he's packing heat in his bag — I'd tell him guns are too heavy for the holiday stockings.

Frank Harris III is chairman of the journalism department at Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven. His column appears every other Friday. He can be reached at harrisf1@southernct.edu.
http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/...,772941.column
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Re: Guns on your Holday list?

Postby Rem700 on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Sounds like S&W is in the Xmas spirit sounds like there ad with the $50 rebate :lol:
I would have a couple on my wish list but I prefer to pick out my own toys a gift certificate for one of the toy stores would suffice :D
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:44 pm

I'm writing to Santa to let him know that I have a heavy-duty Christmas stocking on a very sturdy hook on the mantel.
Pat Cannon

Re: Guns on your Holiday list?

Postby JoeH on Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 pm

And NEVER buy anyone a car for Christmas! As we all know, cars kill far more people than guns.

Those folks at Lexus should be ashamed of themselves. "A December to Remember" should be called "A December to Die". ;)
Joe
Not a Glock Certified Armorer
JoeH

Postby Srigs on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:24 pm

JoeH wrote:And NEVER buy anyone a car for Christmas! As we all know, cars kill far more people than guns.

Those folks at Lexus should be ashamed of themselves. "A December to Remember" should be called "A December to Die". ;)

So true... Remember to get a new holster for your new gun all! ;)
Srigs,

http://www.sideguardholsters.com
http://www.sideguardholsters.com/blog

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
Srigs

Postby princewally on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:43 pm

Srigs wrote:

I sent you an email about my black friday, early-christmas-present-to-myself. :)
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby rtk on Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:57 pm

princewally wrote:
Srigs wrote:

I sent you an email about my black friday, early-christmas-present-to-myself. :)

I got mine for my G19 about 2 weeks ago from Srigs, talk about sweet, it fits just like a glove. Yes it is true, Christmas does come early! Ho-Ho-Ho !
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby GregM on Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:26 am

So Frank Harris III (why do people insist on putting numbers and letters after their names?) considers an advertisement for handguns to be in the same category as "violence-promoting video games, movies and violent song lyrics" ?
FLEE IF YOU CAN. FIGHT IF YOU MUST.
GregM

Postby BRIT_in_the_weeds on Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:34 pm

GregM wrote:So Frank Harris III (why do people insist on putting numbers and letters after their names?) considers an advertisement for handguns to be in the same category as "violence-promoting video games, movies and violent song lyrics" ?

Just means mum and dad could'nt agree on a name
How fargin original :roll:
Far better it is to dare mighty things...than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat
T.Roosevelt 1899

Just me and the designated settee, in the weeds.8-)
Thread-F.U master Brit Pei Ying
1/ICC ;-) .1/ICC II.;-)
BRIT_in_the_weeds

Return to Politics