Support H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Ac

Firearms related political discussion forum

Support H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Ac

Postby americos on Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 pm

The righteous will rejoice when he sees the vengeance;
he will bathe his feet in the blood of the wicked.
americos

Re: Support H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Ac

Postby Rotary12 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:18 pm

I got this from Dudley Brown:

Last week I told you some well-meaning, but in my opinion very misguided pro-gunners are working to pass a bill that could turn into a Trojan Horse for more gun control.

I was talking about H.R. 822, the so-called “National Reciprocity Act,” which could open the flood gates of gun control.

I'm not sure I see his point on this. To me this bill looks like having all the states accept each others carry permits, just like they do drivers licenses.

Here is a link to the bill:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.822:#
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby jweiss on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Read the bill, don't see where it opens up any gun control issues as it looks pretty straight forward as a reciprocity act.
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not out to get you. Henry Kissinger A wise man once said to me strive to own one of every type and caliber.
jweiss

Postby JJ on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:17 pm

jweiss wrote:Read the bill, don't see where it opens up any gun control issues as it looks pretty straight forward as a reciprocity act.

Still tramples on States Rights...
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Rotary12 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 pm

JJ wrote:
jweiss wrote:Read the bill, don't see where it opens up any gun control issues as it looks pretty straight forward as a reciprocity act.

You could say the same for drivers licenses and marriage licenses too.
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby JJ on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Rotary12 wrote:
JJ wrote:

You could say the same for drivers licenses and marriage licenses too.

And your point would be...?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Rotary12 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:32 pm

If my drivers license is good in other states, then why isn't my carry permit?
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby mrp on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:52 pm

Rotary12 wrote:If my drivers license is good in other states, then why isn't my carry permit?

Because the only reason your driver's license is good in other states is because the states have agreed to honor each other's driver's licenses. The states have voluntarily entered into compacts and agreements with each other. It isn't a federal thing. The NRA isn't so stupid as to not realize this, but they are apparently unethical enough to put forth bogus arguments knowing that they're full of crap.
mrp

Postby Rotary12 on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:49 pm

Good point. So let's get the states in line so the fed doesn't need to intervene.
Rotary12

Liberate the U.S.
Support the Constitution
Remember 19 April 1775
Rotary12

Postby John S. on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:35 am

Yeah, like THAT's gonna happen in the near future! :roll:
Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian
John S.

Postby cobb on Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:52 am

Some states have, over a dozen recognizes other states permits. If the law would change in Minnesota that we recognized all other states permits, the recognition of a Minnesota permit to carry would most likely increase. Check out Colorado, which does not recognize Minnesota, but does recognize all the states that have recognition of other states permits. The one exception to that is Vermont and I have no clue why, but Colorado recognizes all of the others. If I remember right, it took less than 3 months for Colorado to recognize Iowa permits after their new law was passed, again Iowa recognizes all other issuing states.

So the big push for recognition or reciprocity needs to start right here at home at the state level.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Dick Unger on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 am

The problem with this national strategy is, that a "national law" on carry permits will probably morph into other areas of gun law. For example, it might be "improved" by a ban on large magazines, or carry into bars, or sporting events, or large cities, or other areas with a "local option" clause, etc. This is an NRA idea.

Gunnies have been winning in virtually all of the rural states, there could be a lot to lose in the national arena. And it's pretty tough to change national policy after you lose there.

The NRA, being a national organization, of course, likes to work in Washington. In the other 50 states, it's a part time deal.

The NRA didn't get the carry laws passed in the states, grass roots local organizations did the work. And the NRA didn't accomplish the SCOTUS decisions either. Not to dis the NRA, but they feel free to do their own thing, without asking the rest of us for anything but money, which they use to finance a pretty comfortable Washington insider lifestyle.

If I was a lobbist for Brady, I'd probably support a "national standard", and expand on the idea with other "common sense" ****....
Dick Unger

Postby 911scanner on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:52 am

mrp wrote:
Rotary12 wrote:If my drivers license is good in other states, then why isn't my carry permit?

Because the only reason your driver's license is good in other states is because the states have agreed to honor each other's driver's licenses. The states have voluntarily entered into compacts and agreements with each other. It isn't a federal thing. The NRA isn't so stupid as to not realize this, but they are apparently unethical enough to put forth bogus arguments knowing that they're full of crap.

But remember, when the states chose to do this, political bickering was not the name of the game at the time.

Had it been, it never woulda happened.

Just sayin'....
911scanner

Postby futbol79 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:28 am

What has the FEDs ever done anything right? I don't want to loose what rights I already have by allowing the LYING government to get their grubby hands my permit.

Remember - PASS THE BILL AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO READ IT>>>
Or all of the unknowns that are surfacing that are buried in the OBAMACARE bill.

For me - Leave it alone. I will never be traveling to all of these states anyway - I have permits to allow me to carry in the states I want.
futbol79

Next

Return to Politics