HR 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: HR 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

Postby EAJuggalo on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:00 pm

It did, the only ammendment that survived was a directive to the GAO to study how easily/quickly LEAs are able to verify the legitimacy of out of state permits. Please read the bill as passed before commenting on things that aren't in it.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c ... 112NcH18w::
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Bump on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:46 pm

ok
Just lurkin......
Bump

Postby tweener on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am

This bill pretty much treads on states rights.....

Even if it would be a good bill from my perspective, it sets bad precedent, and thus does not have my support.
Never mind the typos. My keyboard is full of beer, crumbs and Dr. Peper........and .........the typo and grammer police can go to........HE..!.....no...wait a minute......California!
tweener

Postby Thunder71 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:49 am

This bill doesn't tread on states rights, it forces states that took my rights to give me at least part of my constitutional rights BACK.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Thunder71

Postby jdege on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:56 am

tweener wrote:This bill pretty much treads on states rights.....

States don't have rights.
jdege

HR 822 National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act

Postby futbol79 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 am

I don't want the FEDS in on my permits. What has the feds done right? Nothing
futbol79

Postby EAJuggalo on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:41 pm

What then would you like done? I'm not satisfied with the status quo and am always looking to further my agenda. Read the bill and tell me where it is bad, then we can have a discussion, saying you don't like it just because it's the federal government isn't doing anyone any good. And don't give me the camel's nose argument either, that happened in about 1968.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby RobD on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 am

EAJuggalo wrote:What then would you like done? I'm not satisfied with the status quo and am always looking to further my agenda. Read the bill and tell me where it is bad, then we can have a discussion, saying you don't like it just because it's the federal government isn't doing anyone any good. And don't give me the camel's nose argument either, that happened in about 1968.

+1.....

HR 822 wrote:(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.’.

I do have one big issue with the bill, and the term "concealed" being used to describe state permits / anyone carrying.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Postby Thunder71 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 am

EAJuggalo wrote:What then would you like done? I'm not satisfied with the status quo and am always looking to further my agenda. Read the bill and tell me where it is bad, then we can have a discussion, saying you don't like it just because it's the federal government isn't doing anyone any good. And don't give me the camel's nose argument either, that happened in about 1968.

Well said.
Thunder71

Postby FYI on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:06 pm

is there a senate companion bill?
FYI

Postby Pezhead on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Not that I'ver heard of yet. I haven't checked this week though.
Pezhead

Postby Mark Shean on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:00 pm

H.R. 822 National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act, Victory

This link is my take on the H.R. 822 bill. Two days ago 11-16-2011, the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R. 822, the National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act, by a vote of 272 to 154. This is the will of the people speaking, and the Senate had better pay attention.

The bill, which was introduced by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-FL.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.). A Senate version of the bill has yet to be introduced. Passage of this legislation was by a bipartisan majority and is an important step by Congress to expand the ability of law-abiding Americans to exercise their Second Amendment rights to keep and bear arms across state lines.

Just as states recognize out-of-state driver’s licenses, this bill ensures that a person with a valid right-to-carry permit can lawfully carry a firearm in other states that issue carry permits or that do not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. Forty-nine states recognize the right-to-carry, with only Illinois and the District of Columbia prohibiting this right. Boycott them until they decide they are part of America also.

The bill does not affect a state’s concealed carry law. Restrictions on where firearms can be carried within each state would remain in effect.

The bill’s many supporters call it necessary to ensure the fundamental right of self-defense for American citizens. The right to defend yourself and your loved ones from criminals is fundamental, and it should not be denied when you cross a state border. Lets now see what the Senate will do, the people have spoken loud and clear, will the Senate forget their oath to uphold the will of the people? If so it is up to us to throw the bums out.

Call and email your Senators, demand they pass this important legislation.

NOTE:

Article lV protects the “Privileges and Immunities of citizens in the several states” the Privileges and Immunities clause; States have no rights to deny Privileges and Immunities granted by other states. Concealed carry is a ‘privilege’ granted by your state, right?

Section 5 of the Fourteenth Amendment, gives Congress the power to enforce the provisions of that amendment.

The Supreme Court held in McDonald v. Chicago that the 14th Amendment protects the right to keep and bear arms against state infringment.

Congress has the power to regulate commerce which includes the power to remove state barriers to free interstate travel.

Article lV, Sec. 1 of the Constitution reads: “Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records and judicial proceedings of every other state. And Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.”
This is why you do not need 50 drivers licenses-

If the Senate blocks this carry bill we will know they refuse to listen to the will of the people, that should be the end of all their political corruption come election time!

Mark Shean, 11-18-11

http://www.mafirearmsafety.com

Mark shean
Mark Shean

Postby mrp on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:33 pm

Mark Shean wrote:Just as states recognize out-of-state driver’s licenses

And once again, that has nothing to do with federal statute or regulation. It's an agreement between the states to do so. Read my earlier post in this thread.

Mark Shean wrote:Article lV protects the “Privileges and Immunities of citizens in the several states” the Privileges and Immunities clause; States have no rights to deny Privileges and Immunities granted by other states. Concealed carry is a ‘privilege’ granted by your state, right?

No. It does not. Read my earlier comment in this thread.

Mark Shean wrote:Article lV, Sec. 1 of the Constitution reads: “Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records and judicial proceedings of every other state. And Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.”
This is why you do not need 50 drivers licenses-

And again, no. And again, read my earlier comment in this thread.
mrp

Postby BuckKlier on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:06 pm

Is there a time frame that the Senate has to act on this? I think if Obummer want to be reelected he has to sign it into law, otherwise most gun owners will not vote for him, of course most will not now! ;)
BuckKlier

Postby DeanC on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:03 pm

The 112th United States Congress is set to adjourn on January 3, 2013.
Decrypt the points of departure and return your head slowly and you do not cancel your hair.
DeanC

Previous

Return to Politics