Feb. 8 peace rally at the Capitol.

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Feb. 8 peace rally at the Capitol.

Postby FJ540 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 am

I'll be there.
FJ540

Postby ex-LT on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:49 am

I would meet with my representative, but I'm afraid he'd soil himself when he found out I'm carrying a loaded handgun. Did I mention? His name is Michael Paymar. My senator (Dick Cohen) is cut from the same cloth.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby plblark on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:53 am

ex-LT wrote:I would meet with my representative, but I'm afraid he'd soil himself when he found out I'm carrying a loaded handgun. Did I mention? His name is Michael Paymar. My senator (Dick Cohen) is cut from the same cloth.

Talking to Paymar does only one thing: make it so he can't honestly say none of his constituents oppose his suggestions ... yeah, little good THAT will do.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby cigartim on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:04 pm

I'll be there with as many friends as I can bring.
cigartim

Postby Hanns on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:35 am

Swapped days off at work so I'll be there with a few friends as well. Lunch after sounds great. Anyone know the legality of carrying for this? I "assume" with a legitimate permit it's legal but I don't know if there are verboten restricted areas since it's the state capitol complex. Anyone going to shoulder a "Personal Defense Weapon"? I'd bring one as well if the legalities of it could be verified.

Thanks!
Hanns

Postby plblark on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 am

My opinion is that we practice one form of activism at a time and that we don't give the opposition or the news media (but I repeat myself) any pretext to derail our effect.

I'm currently planning to go, meet my rep after, and then go to the Gopher for a coney. call your Rep and Senator and see if you can schedule an appointment ... My schedule may change depending upon other committee hearings being scheduled earlier in the week.

Regarding Capitol Carry:
Carry OUTSIDE is legal. Carry inside ANY building within the state capitol complex requires NOTIFICATION (Not permission). There should be time to mail two copies with a self addressed stamped envelope and request they date-stamp and sign receipt on one copy and send it back.

'Here's a template Ree worked up. I added the SASE portion.
MY ADDRESS
MY PHONE
DATE

Commissioner, Minnesota Department of Public Safety
Central Office
444 Cedar Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

RE: Notice pursuant to Minnesota Statutes section 609.66, subdivision 1g (b) (2).

Please consider this letter as the statutorily required notification securing for me the exemption specified in MN Statutes 209.66, subd 1g (b)(2) from the prohibition on possession of a pistol and ammunition in “any state building within the capitol area.”

My MN Permit to Carry was issued by the XXX County Sheriff (reference #XXXX). It’s expiration date is MM/DD/YYYY. My permit may be verified through the state BCA database.

I have included an additional copy of this notice and a self addressed stamped envelope. please sign and date receipt on one copy and mail it back for my records

MY NAME

I hear that they accepted e-mailed notices and returned PDFs of the printed e-mails signed and dated. but that's hearsay.
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Greg on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

I was working out of town for the one on the 19th, I'll be there for this one!
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby photogpat on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:55 am

Don't forget to try and see your Reps that morning if its all all possible...and set aside time afterwards for a quick coney at the Gopher! ;)
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby JJ on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:59 pm

plblark wrote:RE: Notice pursuant to Minnesota Statutes section 609.66, subdivision 1g (b) (2).

I hear that they accepted e-mailed notices and returned PDFs of the printed e-mails signed and dated. but that's hearsay.

i tried the email route and never received a confirmation. i called capitol security today and they do not have me on file. I guess i will need to go the snail mail route.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Evad on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm

Hanns wrote:Anyone going to shoulder a "Personal Defense Weapon"? I'd bring one as well if the legalities of it could be verified.

Thanks!

I can't see that looking good on the news. Maybe it's just me, but I can see "Gun nuts flood the capital grounds with assault weapons and demands" as a headline.
Evad

Postby CarryCauseICan on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:04 pm

plblark, who do we email for conformation? Or call? What is the email address and phone number? Thanks!
Molon Labe!
HEY! Once this girl said, "It's not You, It's Me". I said, "Dang Right It's You! You Heffer!" Si
CarryCauseICan

Postby plblark on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Sgt. Michael Parker
MN State Patrol/Capitol Security Division
Room B-5 State Capitol Building
75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-296-0398

Though having heard from JJ that the e-mail route didn't work AND having time before the 8th, I'd mail the letter ASAP then call in a couple days ...
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Feb. 8 peace rally at the Capitol.

Postby futbol79 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Sounds like Monday thru Thursday the gun issues will be brought up.
futbol79

Postby plblark on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 pm

I suspect that isn't a coincidence. Stretch it out over 3 business days when we all have jobs. Do it the week of a Friday rally ... point to low turnout when we all come in shifts all week ...
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Shako Sparky on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 pm

I mailed mine on a Monday late at night, so a Tuesday pick up. I had my copy back by that Saturday. ( which was the Jan 19 event)
NRA Life Member
Shako Sparky

PreviousNext

Return to Politics