Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: 2/6 Hearing

Postby Thunder71 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:01 pm

Excellent points.
Thunder71

Re: 12/6 Hearing

Postby tizzo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:02 pm

JJ wrote:
ex-LT wrote:Anyone have a youtube link to today's hearing? I was pulled into a meeting before the pro-gun speakers got to speak.

Should become available later today sometime:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MNHouseInfo?feature=watch

All available video should be here:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/htv/ar ... ls_year=88
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Postby JustinPo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:08 pm

GOCRA, I respect them a ton but they desperately need to start proof reading everything twice before they send it out. That Facebook post has 2 big errors (dissent and ego) in it and it seems almost everything they send out (email blasts etc.) has at least one small error of one type or another. I am not trying to be a grammar nazi but this stuff does matter.
JustinPo

Postby stoneboat on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:09 pm

I got there just past 8:30 and got a seat in the over flow room. The TV worked good and I was able to catch everything in room 10. Three Ladies from the MN agaisnt Gun Violence sat in front of me and there was two pro gun ladies to my left. We had a mature and thoughtful conversation that went back forth pretty good. I could tell anti couldn't tell the difference between a pump action and a bolt action and then tould her people fear things they don't understand.

On my way out a channel 5 news crew had them sitting down and was taping them. I hope they found a couple pro 2 A folks to talk with as well.

This isn't over we still have to contact the DFL side of that commitie and the heads of senate and house of reps. I gave 40.00 to GOCRA people too. Like the professor says you don't have to write novel - just 4-5 contacts a week..
Guns make people equal
stoneboat

Postby BigBlue on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:18 pm

I thought it was interesting the antis located a 'gun guy' to testify for the bill to describe all the evil parts of an assault weapon. But all he does is build muzzle-loaders. What an expert! As he was describing evil features like pistol grips and folding stocks and why they caused carnage he managed to say he didn't think flash hiders (or was it barrel shrouds) really weren't that big of deal, which contradicts the bill author's intent. Right after that they cut him off, kicked him to the curb, and turned it over to the FBI/private dick guy. That guy had a huge case of "I've been doing this forever and I've seen it all so you better damn well believe I'm an expert at everything I say" disease. He lacked credibility, in my book.

One thing I will say as an opportunity for improvement for our side: We need a media consultant for GOCRA. Someone to help our folks look very professional and clean-cut. The officer who testified came in jeans and a hooded sweatshirt. Like it or not, that diminishes a person's effectiveness. You're in front of a group of people who wear suits every day. You need to do the same.
BigBlue

Postby damian_mb on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 pm

This hearing made me want to pull my hair out!
"It can never happen in Amurika"
damian_mb

Postby goda0301 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:04 pm

ya it doesnt make any sense to me either, i stood in line next to young county deputy from Goodhue county had a nice looking suit and tie, and planned on testifing. they pulled him from the line was sitting right up there next to all GORCA guys but never had him go up and talk. instead they had they unnamed local cop guy and that big guy from up north

the things that pissed me off
#1 the loon that headed up the bill LEFT!
#2 several of the dems didnt stay for the entire hearing by the end there were at least 5-7 empty seats
#3 people clapping, and getting up before the meeting is ended. makes us all look like dip-schits

side note i was sitting next to a anti-gun women. on the other side of her was a gentlemen (rather large decked out head to toe in NRA gear) and the way he was engaging her was fitting into the sterotypical gun nut view. Not sure if he is a member on here, i dont really care. but you cant raise your voice even alittle bit towards these loons. You need to be able to break down the stats and explain the reason behind your reasons in clear, calm and comforting way. Him her and myself might be in the red star tomorrow guy took our pic several times and go there info. Follows the same line of thinking on here. Dont repeat your ideas, clean you appreance up, and dont ramble on.
half way through the meeting i glanced down and seen she was looking at southwest airlines on her iphone, i could tell she was really concerned.
Hit up your reps and hit them up again !!!!!!!

i believe the biggest reaction of body language from crowd and the reps when we had the guy talk about "HEAD SHOTS" i hope we stick with this point and how the video game ascept has to be in the discussion along with mental health, just my 2 cents.

over all im glad i made the 1.5 hour one way trip. I plan on attending fridays rally as well
goda0301

Postby goda0301 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:16 pm

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/htv/pr ... _id=880087

my favorite part starts at 1:49:30 mark HOME RUN!!
goda0301

Postby BigBlue on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:05 pm

goda0301 wrote:#3 people clapping, and getting up before the meeting is ended. makes us all look like dip-schits

I disagree about the clapping. It was not disrespectful and it was done as a show of significant support for a couple key points being made. It was not overdone and it did not cause excessive delay or disruption. It also stopped promptly each time and then ended when Rep. Cornish asked people to stop entirely. Whether clapping is 'normal' or not for such a committee I don't really know or care. But it was appropriate for the situation and it made a point. No rep who came to the meeting with an open mind on the topic of this bill would have been turned off by the clapping. Frankly, I would have loved it if the supporters of the bill in the audience would have clapped at something they liked. Hearing the two or three lonely clappers in the big room would have made a good point.

As for getting up at the end, yes people should have paid more attention. However, Paymar had basically disbanded the meeting and then there was a late question so it was somewhat confusing. But people should have been able to figure that out quickly and adjust. Probably didn't matter though, since most of the anti reps had left by then anyway. Which brings up another good point about getting up early in a meeting that I won't get into...
BigBlue

Postby sawgrass on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:26 pm

photogpat wrote:Facebook post from GOCRA regarding the hearings:

Wonder if she plans to present and stick around tomorrow.
Today was asinine. :roll:
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby sawgrass on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm sure glad the former FBI fellow was on the other side.

Has anyone figured out the point of the lady who reenacts the Northfield cowboy stuff?
All I got out her lengthy testimony was something about guns are safe if you shoot blanks, and the committee perked up when she said she robs banks. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby BigBlue on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:35 pm

sawgrass wrote:I'm sure glad the former FBI fellow was on the other side.

Has anyone figured out the point of the lady who reenacts the Northfield cowboy stuff?
All I got out her lengthy testimony was something about guns are safe if you shoot blanks, and the committee perked up when she said she robs banks. :mrgreen:

My guess as to the point of having her testify was basically the message: "My family does a lot with guns and we're OK with this gun ban." i.e. Not every gun owner is against their bill.
BigBlue

Postby farmer44mag on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

Not every gun owner- but every gun owner that has studied history and has a brain is against these bills.
Glocks-- 17,19,26 in 9mm and the 21 and 36 in .45auto-- S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Ruger LCP and LCR
Bolt and lever guns for deer
Buckmark and M@P .22 pistols for summer varmint carry
Mini-14 and Rem. 870 for all types of vermin.
farmer44mag

Postby xd ED on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Wasn't it the FBI retiree who said that AR ammo wasn't a military round?

That re-enactor lady was a real head-scratcher.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

2/6 Hearing

Postby tman on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 pm

The FBI guy, John Egelhof should be your hero. He was the outside investigator brought in to deal with the Metro Gang Strikeforce inquiry.

He's a very competent investigator who HAS seen a lot of ****. Don't discount his "gravitas" with the committee. It's a shame he's against EBR's.

Sent from my iPhone using that app which shall not be named.
Badged Thug & MN Permit to Carry Instructor
Slowly growing 1911 Glock collection. Donations accepted
tman

PreviousNext

Return to Politics