Dayton Said.....

Firearms related political discussion forum

Re: Dayton Said.....

Postby elroy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:33 pm

jshuberg wrote:
kollector03 wrote:Zimmerman may have had no choice at the end if he was attacked as he claims, but the fact of the matter is that he needlessly injected himself into the situation after his initial contact with 911.

He may not have been very smart in following Martin, but it was not illegal. I would be surprised if his actions weren't exonerated in the end. Still, look at what a poor decision has cost him.

+1

Ask him if he could go back and do it again if he would do it the same way. I bet I know what the answer is.
USCCA Training Counselor
MCPPA Instructor - http://www.MNTactics.com
NRA - Basic Pistol and Personal Protection in the Home Instructor
MN DNR Firearm Safety Instructor
25 years of Law Enforcement Experience
elroy

Postby gjohnson80 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:20 pm

jshuberg wrote:
kollector03 wrote:Zimmerman may have had no choice at the end if he was attacked as he claims, but the fact of the matter is that he needlessly injected himself into the situation after his initial contact with 911.

He may not have been very smart in following Martin, but it was not illegal. I would be surprised if his actions weren't exonerated in the end. Still, look at what a poor decision has cost him.

Wasn't Zimmerman the head a neighborhood watch in a neighborhood that had been experiencing a number of break-ins?
gjohnson80

Postby kollector03 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:29 pm

jshuberg wrote:

True, his actions were not illegal, just not very smart and the cost was huge. I agree that he'll probably be cleared in the trial, but his life will never be the same and I would expect to see civil action initiated after the criminal case.

Civil action from Martinez vs. NBC for their "creative" edit of the 911 tapes and civil action from Travone Martin's family for a wrongful death.
kollector03

Postby LePetomane on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:05 pm

kollector03 wrote:Dayton also said that he was the worst senator ever from Minnesota shortly after his term expired.

That's the one thing that I agree 100% with him on.

I'll one-up you. He was the worst senator ever!!!
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby St. Olaf on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Hmac wrote:Dayton vetoed the Stand-Your Ground-Legislation after it was passed by votes of 40-23 in the Senate and 85-47 in the House.

That was then.....this is now.

I truly don't have a sense of what he might do, but I'm hopeful

I think he's enjoying the heck out of being governor and doesn't want to ruin it. That's why he's been so quiet about gun control.....even bringing up the Constitution when asked about gun control.

I'm thinkin' the only bill that's gonna get to him will be pretty watered down.

Anyhow, I got high hopes.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Postby s4s4u on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:21 pm

I'd rather not trust my gun rights to a possible veto by DEMOCRAT. O didnt' fly here for no reason. Let us keep on our own representatives so it doesn't come to that ;-)
Know guns, Know peace, Know safety.
No guns, No peace, No safety. NRA
s4s4u

Postby CIBOIF on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:44 pm

St. Olaf wrote:What leads you to believe that?

It's not what Dayton is or isn't currently doing that makes me come to this educated guess but what RT Rybak is doing. I doubt that they want a war in a primary battle. Rybak is most certainly readying himself for a run at a higher office. He very connected to Obama and is being position by the Democrat party from a national perspective. He isn't going to run for a senate seat as both Franken and Kloboucher are safe runs for the Democrats. That leaves the Governorship. Rybak is more charismatic than Dayton and stands a better shot at keeping Minnesota in Democrat hands. Bad news for liberty and freedom in Minnesota. The GOP better get with the program and look at this rather than focus on a Dayton as the candidate to beat. Of course this is my opinion but even Sue Jeffers has predicted this.

http://m.startribune.com/?id=184948531

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/12/18/politics/will-rybak-run-for-reelection-in-minneapolis
Last edited by CIBOIF on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CIBOIF

Postby infidel on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Thunder71 wrote:
Hmac wrote:Dayton vetoed the Stand-Your Ground-Legislation after it was passed by votes of 40-23 in the Senate and 85-47 in the House.

That still stings...

Dayton has the power of the pen.

It is what he does with that pen that matters, not what he says. If something came across his desk that limited the 2nd in any way, I believe that Dayton would sign it. I don't care what a pink pony says.
“If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.” - John Ashley

Disclaimer: Do not assume from this post, that I either agree or disagree with any other issue brought up in this thread.
infidel

Postby CIBOIF on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:45 am

infidel wrote:
Thunder71 wrote:

That still stings...

Dayton has the power of the pen.

It is what he does with that pen that matters, not what he says. If something came across his desk that limited the 2nd in any way, I believe that Dayton would sign it. I don't care what a pink pony says.

Right on!
CIBOIF

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:32 am

I think there's a good chance Dayton won't run again. I think as a trust fund baby, Dayton is/was more in love with the idea of being in charge rather than actually being in charge.

Not that it matters of course, any DFL alternative will be just as bad or worse for the states gun owners and/or taxpayers.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby St. Olaf on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:26 am

CIBOIF wrote:

It's not what Dayton is or isn't currently doing that makes me come to this educated guess but what RT Rybak is doing. I doubt that they want a war in a primary battle. Rybak is most certainly readying himself for a run at a higher office. He very connected to Obama and is being position by the Democrat party from a national perspective. He isn't going to run for a senate seat as both Franken and Kloboucher are safe runs for the Democrats. That leaves the Governorship. Rybak is more charismatic than Dayton and stands a better shot at keeping Minnesota in Democrat hands. Bad news for liberty and freedom in Minnesota. The GOP better get with the program and look at this rather than focus on a Dayton as the candidate to beat. Of course this is my opinion but even Sue Jeffers has predicted this.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/12/18/politics/will-rybak-run-for-reelection-in-minneapolis

Very interesting. It could be that Dayton would let his one four-year term serve as his legacy, but I wouldn't put a big bet on it. Dayton has old and loyal friends in the DFL.....he's been around a long time and helped a lot of people. My guess is that he wants to run again, but political guesses are riskier than most.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will end up plowing for those who didn't.
St. Olaf

Postby ex-LT on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:39 am

CIBOIF wrote:

While that is definitely a possibility, I think a likelier scenario involves Arty moving to the 3rd CD and opposing Erik Paulsen in 2014.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby CIBOIF on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:22 am

ex-LT wrote:
CIBOIF wrote:

While that is definitely a possibility, I think a likelier scenario involves Arty moving to the 3rd CD and opposing Erik Paulsen in 2014.

Maybe, but I don't think the Mayor of Minneapolis with such close connections to the Democrat national machine, not to mention personal buds with Obama is going to settle for a Congressman's chair. Every 2 years fighting for your job is not in Brokeback's nature and character. He has his sights on the Governorship and then the White House in say 2020 or 2024.
CIBOIF

Postby LePetomane on Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:43 am

CIBOIF wrote:Maybe, but I don't think the Mayor of Minneapolis with such close connections to the Democrat national machine, not to mention personal buds with Obama is going to settle for a Congressman's chair. Every 2 years fighting for your job is not in Brokeback's nature and character. He has his sights on the Governorship and then the White House in say 2020 or 2024.

Definitely. He has his sights set a lot higher than the House of Representatives.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby SwedeTown on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Democrat legislature and democrat governor for first time in decades...I am quite certain a gun control law will reach Daytons desk and it will be signed. The correct presumption is "how bad"?
SwedeTown

PreviousNext

Return to Politics