Colorado has a problem too.

Firearms related political discussion forum

Colorado has a problem too.

Postby Hmac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Generating a lot of attention on various gun forums in large part because Magpul Industries is located there in Boulder. The bill working their way through the process are pretty much as dumb as what's being debated right here in Minnesota. Here's an excerpt from some of the folks at Magpul:

In addition to the national battle to protect our firearms rights, many states are currently engaged in their own fights. Here in CO, a state with a strong heritage of firearm and other personal freedoms, we are facing some extreme challenges to firearms rights. We have been engaged in dialogue with legislators here presenting our arguments to stop legislation from even being introduced, but our efforts did not deter those of extreme views.

After the NRAs visit last week, several anti-freedom bills were introduced by CO legislators, and a very aggressive timeline has been set forth in moving these bills forward.

The bills include:
HB 1229, Background checks for Gun Transfers--a measure to prohibit private sales between CO residents, and instead require a full FFL transfer, including a 4473.

HB 1228, Payment for Background Checks for Gun Transfers-- a measure that would require CO residents to pay for the back logged state-run CBI system (currently taking 3 times the federally mandated wait time for checks to occur) instead of using the free federal NICS checks.

And finally, HB 1224, Prohibiting Large Capacity Ammunition Magazines--a measure that bans the possession, sale, or transfer of magazines over 10 round capacity. The measures and stipulations in this bill would deprive CO residents of the value of their private property by prohibiting the sale or transfer of all magazines over 10 rounds. This bill would also prohibit manufacture of magazines greater than 10 rounds for commercial sale out of the state, and place restrictions on the manufacture of military and law enforcement magazines that would cripple production.

We'd like to ask all CO residents to please contact your state legislators and the members of the Judiciary Committee and urge them to kill these measures in committee, and to vote NO if they reach the floor.

We also ask you to show your support for the 2nd Amendment at the Capitol on Tuesday, Feb 12, for the magazine ban committee hearing and Wednesday,
Feb 13, for the hearing on the other measures.

Due to the highly restrictive language in HB 1224, if passed, and we remained here, this measure would require us to cease PMAG production on July 1, 2013.

In short, Magpul would be unable to remain in business as a CO company, and the over 200 jobs for direct employees and nearly 700 jobs at our subcontractors and suppliers would pick up and leave CO. Due to the structure of our operations, this would be entirely possible, hopefully without significant disruption to production.

The legislators drafting these measures do so in spite of the fact that nothing they are proposing will do anything to even marginally improve public safety in CO, and in fact, will leave law-abiding CO residents less able to defend themselves, strip away rights and property from residents who have done nothing wrong, and send nearly 1000 jobs and millions in tax revenue out of the state.

We like CO, we want to continue to operate in CO, but most of all, we want CO to remain FREE.

Please help us in this fight, and let your voices be heard!

My understanding is that HF1224 did indeed pass from the Judiciary Committee to the full House.

Colorado HB 1224
Here is the text of the Colorado House Bill 13-1224, which will limit the capacity of rifle or pistol magazines to ten rounds. Shotguns would be limited to five rounds.

The bill prohibits the sale, transfer, or possession of an ammunition feeding device that is capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition or more than 5 shotgun shells (large-capacity magazine). A person may possess a large-capacity magazine if he or she owns the large-capacity magazine on the effective date of the bill and maintains continuous possession of the large-capacity magazine.

A person who sells, transfers, or possesses a large-capacity magazine in violation of the new provision commits a class 2 misdemeanor.

A large-capacity magazine that is manufactured in Colorado on or after the effective date of the bill must include a serial number and the date upon which the large-capacity magazine was manufactured or assembled. The serial number and date must be legibly and conspicuously engraved or cast upon the outer surface of the large-capacity magazine.

The Colorado bureau of investigation may promulgate rules that may require a large-capacity magazine that is manufactured on or after the effective date of the bill to bear identifying information in addition to the serial number and date of assembly.
Hmac

Re: Colorado has a problem too.

Postby AlephZero on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:01 pm

The magazine limit did get approved by a committee, it was amended to a "compromise" of 15 rounds (still five for shotguns). It was also amended to allow Magpul to continue manufacturing 20 and 30 round magazines, just not for sale in Colorado.
AlephZero

Postby Hmac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:22 pm

AlephZero wrote:The magazine limit did get approved by a committee, it was amended to a "compromise" of 15 rounds (still five for shotguns). It was also amended to allow Magpul to continue manufacturing 20 and 30 round magazines, just not for sale in Colorado.

I assume the amendments were added after it was passed to the Committee of the Whole? What's the House vote going to look like? What's the Senate's position?
Hmac

Postby AlephZero on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 pm

You are correct, I thought the amendments were already in but they have only been proposed.

http://www.denverpost.com/commented/ci_ ... commented-

Like Minnesota, the House, Senate, and Executive branch are all democratically held. I'm not too familiar with the political situation in Colorado, but I don't think they have the rural support that we do. I don't foresee the bill having much trouble passing.
AlephZero

Postby damian_mb on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:47 pm

MN is screwed as well! Our efforst seems to be ignored.

I pray that they atleast keep DPMS running so over 200 people do not lose their jobs!
"It can never happen in Amurika"
damian_mb

Postby kollector03 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:57 pm

I would encourage any company like MagPul in CO, DPMS in MN and Remington in NY that find themselves trapped behind enemy lines to relocate their operations to more gun-friendly states that would be happy to welcome them (and the jobs and tax revenue that they would bring with them).

Checkbook democracy is the only thing that some ultra left wing liberals will understand.
kollector03

Postby farmer44mag on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm

damian_mb wrote:MN is screwed as well! Our efforst seems to be ignored.

I pray that they atleast keep DPMS running so over 200 people do not lose their jobs!

How are we screwed???? I am hearing of a new MN house dfler every day that is saying they will not vote for any ban bills of any kind. The last one that said so is on the committee. Cornish has said he doesn't think the bans will make it out of committee.

Unless you know some new info-- I think we are going to beat down the bans this time around- and hopefully expand the pro-gun majority in the next election-- or better yet- elect a pro-gun governor.
Glocks-- 17,19,26 in 9mm and the 21 and 36 in .45auto-- S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Ruger LCP and LCR
Bolt and lever guns for deer
Buckmark and M@P .22 pistols for summer varmint carry
Mini-14 and Rem. 870 for all types of vermin.
farmer44mag

Postby Hmac on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm

farmer44mag wrote:How are we screwed???? I am hearing of a new MN house dfler every day that is saying they will not vote for any ban bills of any kind. The last one that said so is on the committee. Cornish has said he doesn't think the bans will make it out of committee.

Unless you know some new info-- I think we are going to beat down the bans this time around- and hopefully expand the pro-gun majority in the next election-- or better yet- elect a pro-gun governor.

I agree. Unlikely. However, we can't let our guard down.
Hmac

Postby photogpat on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Our efforts have certainly NOT been ignored - quite the contrary - three days and 2000+ firearms-rights supporters turning out at the Capitol had quite an impact on legislators.

Here's hoping for as good of a turnout for the upcoming Senate hearings.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby goda0301 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:15 pm

Agreed, we need to keep the pressure on them!! pisses me off when people say we are screwed. the fat lady hasnt sung yet.
goda0301

Postby brewerbob on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:10 am

Politicians will do whatever is politically expedient. Back when the TARP was going through CONgress, they were getting correspondence averaging 300-1 AGAINST passage. Shoved it through anyway. There are a few politicos out there with integrity. Very few. We may have made a strong statement. Strong statements can be ignored. I won't give up fighting. But I realize we may be doing a "forlorn hope".
brewerbob

Postby farmer44mag on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:44 pm

I still think the bans won't pass- by my count there are already 7 DFLers in the house that have either stated it or are leaning towards voting against any bans. There are othes that were NRA A-rated that have not said anything yet. And this is an issue people really care about and will not forgive- especially something that would make us into criminals for what we already own.
Glocks-- 17,19,26 in 9mm and the 21 and 36 in .45auto-- S&W M&P Shield 9mm
Ruger LCP and LCR
Bolt and lever guns for deer
Buckmark and M@P .22 pistols for summer varmint carry
Mini-14 and Rem. 870 for all types of vermin.
farmer44mag

Postby LePetomane on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:57 pm

I hope none of these bans pass. Otherwise some of my firearms will be making a one way trip to my place in Wyoming.
LePetomane

Postby greenfarmer on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:17 pm

farmer44mag wrote:

How are we screwed???? I am hearing of a new MN house dfler every day that is saying they will not vote for any ban bills of any kind. The last one that said so is on the committee. Cornish has said he doesn't think the bans will make it out of committee.

So is it to early for a farmer like myself to throw my hat in the governor race? If i had the funds and the backing, i'd seriously consider it... Boy would this state ever make a turn if you put someone like me in charge..

Corporal punishment here we come!
Suppressors here we come!
Less than an A rating from NRA, get out of my house!
Stupid parents sueing school districts because the teacher smacked your kid, go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200!
Mandatory firearms safety class for anyone wanting to purchase a firearm!
Focus on Jobs and economy!
But i would make it short and sweet every year... legislation starts in January, and ends in mid march.. Sorry, i'm planting crops come april
If DFL and R can't figure stuff out in 2 months, then take the next 10 months to decide what your constituents really want, then lets reconvene and figure it out. And besides that, it doesn't take a whole 2 months to figure out the budget, and go over bills... Quit adding your corporate "pork" to these bills! Balance the budget is simple, don't spend more than you take in..

Easy enough...
Please send campaign contributions to...
greenfarmer

Location: kinda by the SW Metro, but a little further out in the sticks.

Postby Hmac on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:14 pm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
MAGPUL INDUSTRIES ANNOUNCES IT WILL LEAVE COLORADO IF GUN BILL PASSES

MOVE WOULD COST STATE 600 JOBS, $85 MILLION

Denver, Colorado – February 15th, 2013 – Magpul Industries, an Erie, Colorado, based manufacturer of firearms accessories, announced today that it will be forced to leave the state if House Bill 1224, which would ban standard capacity magazines, becomes law. The announcement was made to Governor Hickenlooper, state legislators, members of the media, and in a full-page advertisement to appear in the Denver Post on Sunday.

Richard Fitzpatrick, Founder, President, and CEO of Magpul Industries, said that regardless of any amendments that may be worked into the bill, he will no longer be able to continue to do business in Colorado if his core product is made illegal.

“Our company could not, in good conscience, continue to manufacture our products in a state where law-abiding citizens are prohibited from purchasing and owning them. ” Fitzpatrick said. “The passage of this bill will do nothing to enhance public safety, but will force us to immediately begin taking our business to another state.”

A proponent of the bill argued that with the amendment language, the choice to stay or leave was up to Magpul. Fitzpatrick responded, “Our relationship with our customers across the country would be severely damaged if this bill passes and we stay. We’ve already heard word of potential boycotts if that happens. They (legislators) really need to understand that our customer base is as passionate about freedoms as we are, and staying here if this bill passes would cripple the company. Make no doubt about it…we have no choice, and would be forced to leave in order to save the business.”

Magpul cited the example of the Eastern Sports and Outdoors Show, which was canceled earlier this year after the organizers announced that it would not permit a popular category of firearm, like the ones Magpul makes accessories for, in the show. Public outcry from the customer base forced exhibitors to withdraw from participation, causing the cancellation of the show, and an estimated loss of $70 million of show revenue for hotels, restaurants, merchants, and other businesses in Pennsylvania, where the show was to be held.

Magpul Industries directly employs 200 people, supports another 400 supply-chain jobs, and contributes over $85 million annually to Colorado’s economy. Doug Smith, Chief Operating Officer for Magpul, says that it is a difficult position to be in. “We could choose to stay in a state that wants our jobs and revenue, but not our products, and lose half the jobs we are fighting to save, or potentially the entire business, when our customers stop buying. Or, we can take the company and those 600 jobs out of Colorado to continue our growth and the growth of American manufacturing in a state that shares our values. This is not really a choice. It’s an unfortunate and inevitable result of the actions of the Legislature if this bill passes.”

Magpul was started over a decade ago by Fitzpatrick, a former U.S. Marine. It has become one of Colorado’s fastest growing businesses, successfully marketing its products to American and allied military forces, police departments, sporting goods stores, and thousands of responsible private citizens. Fitzpatrick says that the rich western culture and strong values of individual freedom and responsibility, traditionally found in Colorado, were one of the reasons the company chose to remain in the state.

“It is heartbreaking to me, my employees, and their families, to think that we will be forced to leave,” Fitzpatrick said. “But if HB13-1224 passes, we will simply have no choice.”

Democrats in Colorado, however, remain confident that they can pass the bill. Word is that Joe Biden is on the phone regularly to each and every one of 'em.
Hmac

Next

Return to Politics